Stowaway Marine Batteries

  • pattersondr2
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
      New member. I have recently aquired a 1997 Solectria Force in need of
      batteries. Doing some load testing, charger profiling and looking over
      options for group 27 (DIN) group battery. Considering replacing gels
      with flooded. Have read past messages on batteries: Trojan, US, etc.
      Has anyone used the GNB, now Exide, Stowaway deep cycle Marine battery
      (ST27DC180)in on road vehicle use? I have e-mailed Exide for cycle
      life and charge profile, but no response to date. I am interested in
      this 105 Ah battery because of availability/price and case is only 12
      inches long as opposed to normal 12.75 inch, 27 group size of other
      options. Will 12.75 inch length fit in front compartment without
      modifications ?
    • Will Beckett
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
        I have been using group 27 GelTec. The current set has 12K miles on them.
        Flooded will last longer but you will need to setup automatic watering and
        check them frequently which is not very convenient. I have used GNB (my
        mother's Force was their display vehicle) and didn't have a very good
        experience with them (they only lasted about 4K miles).

        - Will
        _____

        New member. I have recently aquired a 1997 Solectria Force in need of
        batteries. Doing some load testing, charger profiling and looking over
        options for group 27 (DIN) group battery. Considering replacing gels
        with flooded. Have read past messages on batteries: Trojan, US, etc.
        Has anyone used the GNB, now Exide, Stowaway deep cycle Marine battery
        (ST27DC180)in on road vehicle use? I have e-mailed Exide for cycle
        life and charge profile, but no response to date. I am interested in
        this 105 Ah battery because of availability/price and case is only 12
        inches long as opposed to normal 12.75 inch, 27 group size of other
        options. Will 12.75 inch length fit in front compartment without
        modifications ?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12chp7hdb/M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egroup
        web/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1072500194/A=1911858/R=0/*http:/www.lifescapeinc.com
        /picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1987> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=266841.4316200.5507732.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1911858/rand=955567862>

        _____

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Mike Chancey
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
          At 10:43 PM 12/25/2003, you wrote:
          >New member. I have recently aquired a 1997 Solectria Force in need of
          >batteries. Doing some load testing, charger profiling and looking over
          >options for group 27 (DIN) group battery. Considering replacing gels
          >with flooded.

          Don't do it. The car is not designed for flooded batteries so there is no
          easy way to handle watering and servicing. Pulling the controller and air
          conditioning once a month just to access the front batteries is not what I
          would consider fun. The gels cost a bit more but last years longer. Also
          you would be giving up one of the nicest features of these cars, the
          completely maintenance free battery pack.

          One of our chapter members had a 95 Force that had been re-equipped with
          Stowaways. They lasted about one year. They were replaced with gels.

          Mike Chancey,
          '88 Civic EV
          '95 Solectria Force (eventually)
          '94 Ranger EV
          Kansas City, Missouri
          EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
          My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
          Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
          Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html
        • Aaron Birenboim
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
            Will Beckett wrote:
            > I have been using group 27 GelTec. The current set has 12K miles on them.
            > Flooded will last longer but you will need to setup automatic watering and
            > check them frequently which is not very convenient. I have used GNB (my
            > mother's Force was their display vehicle) and didn't have a very good
            > experience with them (they only lasted about 4K miles).

            I, too, have decided to go back to flooded in my 1992 force.
            It has an AMC300 controller, so its nominal current limit is
            only 100A... well within the sweet spot of flooded.
            Besides, I have a Zivan charger, whose profile is only
            really appropriate for flooded IMOHO.

            I figgured that my time was better spent on developing
            a watering system, then moving to a more advanced PbA
            technology.

            Can anybody point me towards refrences to other people's
            homebrew watering systems?

            --
            Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
            Albuquerque, NM |
            >http://aaron.boim.com |
          • Aaron Birenboim
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
              Mike Chancey wrote:
              > At 10:43 PM 12/25/2003, you wrote:
              >
              >>New member. I have recently aquired a 1997 Solectria Force in need of
              >>batteries. Doing some load testing, charger profiling and looking over
              >>options for group 27 (DIN) group battery. Considering replacing gels
              >>with flooded.
              >

              > Don't do it. The car is not designed for flooded batteries so there is no
              > easy way to handle watering and servicing. Pulling the controller and air
              > conditioning once a month just to access the front batteries is not what I
              > would consider fun. The gels cost a bit more but last years longer. Also
              > you would be giving up one of the nicest features of these cars, the
              > completely maintenance free battery pack.
              >
              > One of our chapter members had a 95 Force that had been re-equipped with
              > Stowaways. They lasted about one year. They were replaced with gels.

              Mike is certainly the expert, while I'm just a newbie myself.
              However, my 1992 force was built for G24 floodies, and the Brusa
              chargers have died and been replaced with Zivan.
              I am reluctant to spend over $3000 to get this car running on
              gel or AGM (new batteries, charger, regulators...)
              I'd rather start with a beter car (higher power controler,
              direct drive... a newer solectria or other...)
              before spending that kind of $$.

              I know several people who are watering 2-3x a year with a gentle
              charge profile. I know that at least one of them is using
              big Trojan 6v batteries, so I don't know if this low level of
              maintenance can be achieved with G24 batteries.

              I would certainly go with the gel (most americans seem to choose
              the East Penn/Dekka dominator series) if you have an
              appropriate charger. Mike suggested the Lifeline (i think)
              AGM batteries to me... a good suggestion, since their G27 would
              fit in my G24 boxes. If I were going with a new charger/regulators
              I'd give those cells a try.

              --
              Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
              Albuquerque, NM |
              aaron_at_birenboim.com |
              >http://aaron.boim.com |
            • Mike Chancey
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 26, 2003
                At 09:13 AM 12/26/2003, you wrote:
                >Mike Chancey wrote:
                >
                >Mike is certainly the expert, while I'm just a newbie myself.

                Please, do not call me an expert on Solectrias. There are folks on this
                list with much much more experience with these vehicles.

                I wasn't the one who mentioned the Lifeline batteries as I have never used
                them. I had considered Dynasties for mine though.

                Thanks,

                Mike