Re: Motor To Run Air Conditioner

  • Sean K
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2013
      I'm curious, my solectria didn't come with air conditioning, but there is a little gray electrical connector labeled a/c, is it possible to add air to my car without a whole lot of headache?

      Do the solectria's with air use a standard metro a/c compressor?

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

      > From the name plate on the motor:
      > P/N 9001096
      > 180V
      > 7.5 Amp
      > 2.5 HP
      > 4000 RPM
      >
      > I run mine directly off the pack (144V) using a Kilovac relay, no
      > controller.
      >
      > The A/C clutch signal drives the relay.
      > On Jul 9, 2013 10:52 PM, "GeorgeB" <gbeckman@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I have tried the treadmill motor route to run the air conditioning
      > > compressor. I got a 1 HP motor and it ran fine when not loaded. I got it
      > > mounted and as soon as the pressure began to build in the system (5
      > > seconds) it smoked the brushes. It is an 8 amp motor. My AC controller is a
      > > 10 amp. I am afraid I cannot get enough HP without going over the 10 amp
      > > limit. The original motor was a four brush and turned much slower.
      > >
      > > Wolf, you sent a picture of your setup using a treadmill motor. What size
      > > motor did you end up using?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.

    • GeorgeB
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2013
        My Solectria is a 1992 and the compressor appears to be the original Metro rig. There is a fancy controller box, but mine quit and I am using a solid state 25 amp relay that is triggered by the wire that originally controlled the clutch. It sound much like the one Wolf describes. About $10 on ebay. The wire is a bullnose connector about in the middle top of the firewall coming from the passenger side.

        The clutch has been locked and a cog belt pully replaces the v-belt.

        So far not much luck finding a 180v 2.5 HP that draws as littl as 7.5 amps.

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Sean K" <seankmc@...> wrote:

        > I'm curious, my solectria didn't come with air conditioning, but there is a little gray electrical connector labeled a/c, is it possible to add air to my car without a whole lot of headache?
        >
        > Do the solectria's with air use a standard metro a/c compressor?
        >
        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@> wrote:
        > >
        > > From the name plate on the motor:
        > > P/N 9001096
        > > 180V
        > > 7.5 Amp
        > > 2.5 HP
        > > 4000 RPM
        > >
        > > I run mine directly off the pack (144V) using a Kilovac relay, no
        > > controller.
        > >
        > > The A/C clutch signal drives the relay.
        > > On Jul 9, 2013 10:52 PM, "GeorgeB" <gbeckman@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > I have tried the treadmill motor route to run the air conditioning
        > > > compressor. I got a 1 HP motor and it ran fine when not loaded. I got it
        > > > mounted and as soon as the pressure began to build in the system (5
        > > > seconds) it smoked the brushes. It is an 8 amp motor. My AC controller is a
        > > > 10 amp. I am afraid I cannot get enough HP without going over the 10 amp
        > > > limit. The original motor was a four brush and turned much slower.
        > > >
        > > > Wolf, you sent a picture of your setup using a treadmill motor. What size
        > > > motor did you end up using?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance.

      • geo_homsy2
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2013
          HA! Something's a little wrong with that nameplate. 180v * 7.5A = 1350W = 1.8 hp.

          Wolf- if you can get a bunch more of those, we can solve the world's energy problems!

          :)

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2013
            2.5 HP peak. ;)

            Mine only draws 6.3 amps @ 144V:
            http://www.wolftronix.com/air_conditioning/images/IMG_7552.jpg

            Are you sure the compressor is good?

            That might be what burned up the original motor?

          • GeorgeB
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2013
              I suppose the compressor could be going south, however I had to replace brushes once and the Bakelite brush carriers were in sad shape. The second time a year or two later one brush was allowed to drag sideways, out of time. I reconstructed out of JB Weld and that did not work. It only ran for a month or so. The Bakelite ring that hold the four brushes is just crumbling. No signs of heat other than the commentator had some arcing from the brush dragging sideways. It was cooling fine.