No AH Controller and No Current Meter

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2013
      I recently bought a 98 Force, the one that was for sale in Palo Alto. I bought it from Caroline Garbarino and some of the old paperwork says Dixon Riley. The car is super clean, which my old Force was not, so I'm pretty happy. It has an aftermarket analog voltmeter installed, screwed to the steering column, blocking the view of the AH meter. The AH meter seems to be dead. I assumed it had the problem that many Forces have and went to pull the board to do the repair but, I am pretty sure, the box holding the board is missing. There is a 20-pin dual row connector on a ribbon cable hanging down from what seems like behind the AH meter in the console, but there is nothing for it to plug into. From the service manual and past posts, the box seems like it lives just to the left of the ignition box, but I can't find it. It's pretty easy to find, right?
      This Force does not have the optional current/volt meter in the console.

      Any suggestions for aftermarket AH and current meter?

      Thanks,

      Michael Conn
    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2013
        The missing box, is the counter. The dangling cable goes to the segment
        display, which has no intelligence. The parts in the missing box are
        obsolete, so if any of the ICs were bad, that is about it.

        GOOD news, you can buy a far superior instrument from:
        http://ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml

        You are looking for Cycle Analyst, high voltage version. The shape is
        different than the AH meter so you will have to mount it somewhere, but it
        does a zillion more things than the original AH meter. You can use the
        existing wiring that was plugged into the missing box, but be careful and
        don't forget to disconnect / pull the fuses. The voltage at that connector
        is full pack voltage. I am using the original shunt, you can calibrate the
        Cycle Analyst to match it.

        Read this: http://ebikes.ca/drainbrain/CA_V23_Update.pdf

        The optional Volt / Amp meters that were sold by Solectria are available
        from http://www.westach.com/

        You will need to call them and give them the spec you are looking for. They
        still have some of the art work and can provide the volt / current meters
        you need.

        I had them repair the original meter from one of my cars and had them supply
        new ones for the other. I live in Palo Alto if you want to see any of the
        devices.