Re: Unknown wires on a used DC/DC converter.

  • William S
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2013
      Having "let the smoke out" on occasion, I would ask the following question. The 12 volt wires to the Anderson connector are white and black. White is labeled "+" on the Anderson connector. But the sense wires are red and black. Is red connected to + 12 volts?

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, William Swann <william.swann2@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for clarification.
      >
      > On Wednesday, July 3, 2013, Wolf wrote:
      >
      > > Yup, they are the voltage sense.
      > >
      > > If you don't want to run them back to the fuse box, then just connect the
      > > red wire to positive, and the back wire to negative at the dc-dc converter
      > > connector.
      > >
      > > Don't leave them unconnected.
      > > On Jul 3, 2013 6:04 PM, "William S" <william.swann2@...<javascript:;>>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > On the DC/DC converter that I purchased used,there is an extra set of
      > > > small gauge wires that are unknown. It is a challenge to separate the
      > > sheet
      > > > metal cover from the heat sink, to see what they are on the (presumed)
      > > > vicor converter. Small gauge, red and black conductors with spade clips.
      > > > Are they voltage sense wires or what? My E-10 does not use these wires.
      > > > Have not put power to the converter yet.

      > --
      > Thanks, Bill S
      > Ph 832-338-3080
      > www.watt-tracker.com
      > www.promotingevs.com

    • EV
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
        william i believe that the two addition red/black wires were for a cooling fan 12vdc on the dc/dc 750 your best bet is to plug in the dc/dc and measure the voltage on the red black wires if none then it is for the fan ( fan turns on via temp sensor inside unit) voltage sens is usually done inside the unit along with the trim mod to make it 13.2 volts ( much brighter lights and heat blower a/wipers etc ) highly recommend the 13.2volt mod for any of the dc/dc converters not done already.. also give some consideration to the leds lights now avaiable save mocho power

        Having "let the smoke out" on occasion, I would ask the following question. The 12 volt wires to the Anderson connector are white and black. White is labeled "+" on the Anderson connector. But the sense wires are red and black. Is red connected to + 12 volts?

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, William Swann <william.swann2@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for clarification.
        >
        > On Wednesday, July 3, 2013, Wolf wrote:
        >
        > > Yup, they are the voltage sense.
        > >
        > > If you don't want to run them back to the fuse box, then just connect the
        > > red wire to positive, and the back wire to negative at the dc-dc converter
        > > connector.
        > >
        > > Don't leave them unconnected.
        > > On Jul 3, 2013 6:04 PM, "William S" <william.swann2@...<javascript:;>>
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > On the DC/DC converter that I purchased used,there is an extra set of
        > > > small gauge wires that are unknown. It is a challenge to separate the
        > > sheet
        > > > metal cover from the heat sink, to see what they are on the (presumed)
        > > > vicor converter. Small gauge, red and black conductors with spade clips.
        > > > Are they voltage sense wires or what? My E-10 does not use these wires.
        > > > Have not put power to the converter yet.

        > --
        > Thanks, Bill S
        > Ph 832-338-3080
        > www.watt-tracker.com
        > www.promotingevs.com

      • EV
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
          further you may have a dc/dc 750bc ( bc stand for battery charge option ) please be adivsed that this option requires a 12vdc batery be attched to the output before the uint will function properly. check the label on the unit ..