Re: [solectria_ev] CALB cells update

  • Kenneth Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013
      I just built my pack using a wire wheel and drill to clean the terminals and buss bars. Worked quite nicely.

      Ken Martin

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:15 PM, Gordon Stallings <gordonstallings@...> wrote:

      > I recommend filing the aluminum terminal lightly to make it bright and
      > flat, then sealing it. The aluminum oxide is quite hard and resists
      > sandpaper.
      > --Gordon--
      > On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:45 PM, theoldcars@... wrote:
      >
      >> A heads up for anyone who used cells as is.
      >>
      >> I just built a module without cleaning the terminals and bus bars.
      >>
      >> Testing the resistance it was off the scale I normally use and I had
      >> to up
      >> two scales.
      >>
      >> Needless to say if anyone has not cleaned these terminals you need to.
      >>
      >> I would also highly recommend sealing them with Vaseline with the
      >> terminals
      >> coated before reassembly.
      >>
      >> Don Blazer

    • geo_homsy2
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2013
        I suggest lapping with a HARD, FLAT substrate, with a small piece of 400 to 600 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper on it (I did both grades of sandpaper, til they were smooth and flat). Treat your copper straps with scotch-brite or similar. Then, spray both with your favorite contact cleaner, then JUST before assembly (to eliminate any chance of oxidation forming), smear with a very light coat of silver-filled high-current conductive grease:

        http://www.chemtronics.com/products/americas/TDS/Cw7100tds.pdf

        I did this to all my cells.

        I have an eLithion BMS installed, and I've NEVER seen more than a 1 milli-ohm difference between cell resistances.

        Worth the extra couple hours.

        //Geo