Re: [solectria_ev] CALB cells update

  • Gordon Stallings
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2013
      I recommend filing the aluminum terminal lightly to make it bright and
      flat, then sealing it. The aluminum oxide is quite hard and resists
      sandpaper.
      --Gordon--
      On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:45 PM, theoldcars@... wrote:

      > A heads up for anyone who used cells as is.
      >
      > I just built a module without cleaning the terminals and bus bars.
      >
      > Testing the resistance it was off the scale I normally use and I had
      > to up
      > two scales.
      >
      > Needless to say if anyone has not cleaned these terminals you need to.
      >
      > I would also highly recommend sealing them with Vaseline with the
      > terminals
      > coated before reassembly.
      >
      > Don Blazer

    • Kenneth Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013
        I just built my pack using a wire wheel and drill to clean the terminals and buss bars. Worked quite nicely.

        Ken Martin

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:15 PM, Gordon Stallings <gordonstallings@...> wrote:

        > I recommend filing the aluminum terminal lightly to make it bright and
        > flat, then sealing it. The aluminum oxide is quite hard and resists
        > sandpaper.
        > --Gordon--
        > On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:45 PM, theoldcars@... wrote:
        >
        >> A heads up for anyone who used cells as is.
        >>
        >> I just built a module without cleaning the terminals and bus bars.
        >>
        >> Testing the resistance it was off the scale I normally use and I had
        >> to up
        >> two scales.
        >>
        >> Needless to say if anyone has not cleaned these terminals you need to.
        >>
        >> I would also highly recommend sealing them with Vaseline with the
        >> terminals
        >> coated before reassembly.
        >>
        >> Don Blazer

      • geo_homsy2
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2013
          I suggest lapping with a HARD, FLAT substrate, with a small piece of 400 to 600 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper on it (I did both grades of sandpaper, til they were smooth and flat). Treat your copper straps with scotch-brite or similar. Then, spray both with your favorite contact cleaner, then JUST before assembly (to eliminate any chance of oxidation forming), smear with a very light coat of silver-filled high-current conductive grease:

          http://www.chemtronics.com/products/americas/TDS/Cw7100tds.pdf

          I did this to all my cells.

          I have an eLithion BMS installed, and I've NEVER seen more than a 1 milli-ohm difference between cell resistances.

          Worth the extra couple hours.

          //Geo