re: [solectria_ev] Re: Charger puzzle

  • EV
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 17, 2013
      RECENTLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH A CHARGER THOUGHT THE CHARGER WAS BAD ENDED UP BEING THE WIRE TO FUSE CONNECTION IN THE TRUNK AREA AFTER THE PLUG FOR THE CHARGER... WIRE WAS NEVER CRIMPED PRPOERLY.. END UP GET THE SAME SORT OF RESULTS WITH THE CHARGER.. SO CHECK OUT THE FUSE WIRING TUG ON THE WIRE GOING IN AND OUT OF THAT FUSE .. AND ALSO CHECK THE FUSE CONNECTIONS INSIDE THE FUSE HOLDER FOR BAD CONTACTS..

      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 7, 2013
        Thank you, Josh. I understand the charging profile, but didn't know the
        stages were called by these names. l'm going to put labels on those red
        lights!Until a better idea comes along, I'm proceeding on the theory
        that a temperature sensor is telling the charger not to charge until the
        batteries cool down after a trip. On a very hot day this takes about
        four hours; on a nice summer day like this one, one and a half to two
        hours will do the trick.However, it won't start charging when plugged in
        to 240v; I have to unplug it, and then plug it in again and it fires
        right up!As the evidence accumulates I'm closing in on the problem, I
        think.Ray
        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Josh Anzicek wrote:

        > Good day,
        >
        > This is a very common lead acid charge profile. Most solar charge
        > controllers also follow the same process.
        >
        > From
        > http://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/charging.html
        >
        > Three Stage Battery Charging
        >
        > The *BULK* stage involves about 80% of the recharge, wherein the
        charger
        > current is held constant (in a constant current charger), and voltage
        > increases. The properly sized charger will give the battery as much
        current
        > as it will accept up to charger capacity (25% of battery capacity in
        amp
        > hours), and not raise a wet battery over 125° F, or an AGM or GEL
        (valve
        > regulated) battery over 100° F.
        >
        > The *ABSORPTION* stage (the remaining 20%, approximately) has the
        charger
        > holding the voltage at the charger's absorption voltage (between 14.1
        VDC