Re: Charger puzzle

  • Raymond
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 14, 2013
      Fourteen years ago, when this Solectria was new, I had in my computer
      the program that would read the diagnostic, and I actually used it once
      or twice. Now, with my computer two generations later, I don't know
      that I have the program, or would know what to do with it.
      Am I over-estimating the difficulty?

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf wrote:

      > Your best bet is to hook up the charger to a laptop and run the Monlog
      > program, it will tell you the fault code.
      > On Jun 13, 2013 5:44 PM, "Raymond" rmalden_2000@... wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > This mystery has me baffled. Can you help?
      > > "98 Solectria Force with BC3KW charger, during the past two weeks
      has
      > > failed to charge when plugged in after a trip. Repeated plug /
      unplug /
      > > plug procedure, at first, caused the charge to start, so I checked
      the cord
      > > and connections. Found lights on an unmarked box next to the charger
      were
      > > responding to "Power On". After sitting overnight, connected to 240v
      but
      > > not charging, unplugging the AC connection and then restoring it
      starts the
      > > charging.
      > >
      > > This pattern has now repeated the last three days. Return from trip,
      won't
      > > charge; leave connected overnight, no charge; unplug the power
      source in
      > > the morning, then restore it, and charge begins.
      > >
      > > On that unmarked light box when it is connected to power but
      refusing to
      > > charge, there is one red light "On" and the yellow light is
      flashing.

      > > Can anyone tell me what all this means?
      > > Ray, in Santa Rosa

    • Raymond
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 7, 2013
        Thank you, Josh. I understand the charging profile, but didn't know the
        stages were called by these names. l'm going to put labels on those red
        lights!Until a better idea comes along, I'm proceeding on the theory
        that a temperature sensor is telling the charger not to charge until the
        batteries cool down after a trip. On a very hot day this takes about
        four hours; on a nice summer day like this one, one and a half to two
        hours will do the trick.However, it won't start charging when plugged in
        to 240v; I have to unplug it, and then plug it in again and it fires
        right up!As the evidence accumulates I'm closing in on the problem, I
        think.Ray
        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Josh Anzicek wrote:

        > Good day,
        >
        > This is a very common lead acid charge profile. Most solar charge
        > controllers also follow the same process.
        >
        > From
        > http://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/charging.html
        >
        > Three Stage Battery Charging
        >
        > The *BULK* stage involves about 80% of the recharge, wherein the
        charger
        > current is held constant (in a constant current charger), and voltage
        > increases. The properly sized charger will give the battery as much
        current
        > as it will accept up to charger capacity (25% of battery capacity in
        amp
        > hours), and not raise a wet battery over 125┬░ F, or an AGM or GEL
        (valve
        > regulated) battery over 100┬░ F.
        >
        > The *ABSORPTION* stage (the remaining 20%, approximately) has the
        charger
        > holding the voltage at the charger's absorption voltage (between 14.1
        VDC