Re: [solectria_ev] Thanks Don and Wolf

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2013
      We just put a set of lead-acids in the truck last year; we have not had good luck with
      lifespan on those things, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the two strings tied
      together -- I'm thinking a weak battery in one string could cause the charger to put out
      more power, eventually causing problems with the other batteries. If we put lithiums in
      the E-10, I will have to find a good, reliable BMS system to ride shotgun on those things,
      rather than stringing them together and hoping for the best. Hopefully, in a few years,
      there will be a good solution.

      That's a lot of batteries, and with each one needing a BMS node, that makes for a lot of
      potential failure points -- and seeing the problems others have had with various BMS
      systems, I'm not real anxious to have to mess with them.

      That said, I'd give my eye teeth to have lithiums in the truck! :-)

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson
      http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2013
        I installed the gel cells April of 2011, and have about 12,000 miles on
        them. They still seem to be pulling strong,

        I plan on making my own BMS... I have a few ideas to over come the problems
        with existing BMS modules. ;)

        I have been looking to pick up a few new/used 100Ah CALB, preferably abused
        batteries, for BMS testing and development.

      • theoldcars
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22, 2013
          Glad to hear your up and running. It is amazing the difference in
          performance of a LiFePo4 over lead.

          CALB is usually very good but the group buys are more of a challenge.
          Yours was the most difficult time I have had with CALB getting an order
          completed.

          The good part was the other person who received your bus bars by mistake.
          Decided to go with them after seeing how they were made.

          If anyone is interested I have a bunch of CALB CA 100 cells with 116 plus
          amp hour test sheets in Portland Oregon. Its a good deal you pay for 100Ah
          but get 16% more capacity. These are the new gray cells and as before with
          the group buy I can't post pricing so you have to contact me off list.

          I am now able to ship anywhere in the United States at final cost that is
          less then being shipped directly from CALB.

          Don Blazer