Re: [solectria_ev] Thanks Don and Wolf

    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2013
      No problem Russell.

      Hey Tom, are you running lithium in the E10?

      I think I have around 2-3 years left on my Dekas before I need to upgrade.

      For my truck the math works out to 135 100Ah CALBs.

      Three series strings of 45 in parallel. 45 in the front, 90 in the back.
      144V @ 300Ah

      300 pounds of weight savings.

      Hopefully, the price comes down in the next 2-3 years, so I can afford them.

      I would like to make day trips to Indianapolis (120 miles), and Chicago
      (150 miles). As more J1772 chargers show up around here I need to make an
      adapter, and add another BC3300 or two. ;)
      On May 21, 2013 8:43 AM, "Tom Hudson" <tdhudson@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Congratulations, Russell. Glad to hear you got her up and rolling! I love
      > my CALB
      > batteries, the car just works great now. Using it for about 95% of our
      > local driving --
      > this time of year we use our E-10 pickup a lot because of gardening chores
      > (hauling yard
      > waste to the city recycling yard, picking up bags of soil, etc.) but the
      > Force does most
      > of the routine driving.
      >
      > -Tom
      >
      > On 5/20/2013 6:40 PM, russell_fauver wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for all the help with the Lithium conversion, Don Blazer for
      > dealing with Calb
      > > about the incomplete shipments and Wolf for the tech support with
      > chargers. Got my Force
      > > back on the road Sunday afternoon and it is much more efficient.
      > Acceleration is
      > > comparable to my wife's Accord (4 cyl). A 10 mile drive though hilly
      > terrain maintaining
      > > 55mph used 12ah. 10 miles around town, speeds from 25 to 45 and plenty
      > of traffic lights
      > > the AH meter showed 7.98. Crazy good.
      > >
      > > Thanks again,
      > > Russell
      > >

      > --
      > Thomas Hudson
      > http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power & More
      > http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2013
        We just put a set of lead-acids in the truck last year; we have not had good luck with
        lifespan on those things, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the two strings tied
        together -- I'm thinking a weak battery in one string could cause the charger to put out
        more power, eventually causing problems with the other batteries. If we put lithiums in
        the E-10, I will have to find a good, reliable BMS system to ride shotgun on those things,
        rather than stringing them together and hoping for the best. Hopefully, in a few years,
        there will be a good solution.

        That's a lot of batteries, and with each one needing a BMS node, that makes for a lot of
        potential failure points -- and seeing the problems others have had with various BMS
        systems, I'm not real anxious to have to mess with them.

        That said, I'd give my eye teeth to have lithiums in the truck! :-)

        -Tom

        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2013
          I installed the gel cells April of 2011, and have about 12,000 miles on
          them. They still seem to be pulling strong,

          I plan on making my own BMS... I have a few ideas to over come the problems
          with existing BMS modules. ;)

          I have been looking to pick up a few new/used 100Ah CALB, preferably abused
          batteries, for BMS testing and development.

        • theoldcars
          Message 4 of 6 , May 22, 2013
            Glad to hear your up and running. It is amazing the difference in
            performance of a LiFePo4 over lead.

            CALB is usually very good but the group buys are more of a challenge.
            Yours was the most difficult time I have had with CALB getting an order
            completed.

            The good part was the other person who received your bus bars by mistake.
            Decided to go with them after seeing how they were made.

            If anyone is interested I have a bunch of CALB CA 100 cells with 116 plus
            amp hour test sheets in Portland Oregon. Its a good deal you pay for 100Ah
            but get 16% more capacity. These are the new gray cells and as before with
            the group buy I can't post pricing so you have to contact me off list.

            I am now able to ship anywhere in the United States at final cost that is
            less then being shipped directly from CALB.

            Don Blazer