Re: [force_ev] Fraud???

  • Bruce Tucker
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
      The EVAlbum/EV Tradin' Post warns against this scam. Their site has a link
      to a CBS report on the problem:
      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/01/eveningnews/main527883.shtm

      Don't fall victim to it, or you'll be out $6000!
      Bruce

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
        Dixon;

        Yes this does sound exactly like the scam. You didn't say where the guy was
        located but if it is in Africa, especially East Africa (Nigeria is a popular
        spot for this type of scam) then the odds that it is a scam are greatly
        increased The other thing that makes me suspicious is that the note looks
        like a form letter with your details copied in.

        I would not take him up on his offer but if you want to try then here are
        two approaches you could take. The first is to tell the guy flat out that
        you will not take a check for anything more than the cost of the vehicle
        plus shipping (to be determined in advance) and he will have to get the
        balance directly from the guy who owes him money, the second approach is to
        say that you will not be able to release either the funds or the vehicle
        until the check has been fully verified by your bank which will take 8 to 12
        weeks. If the guy takes either of these options he is probably legit if not
        then he is definitely a scam artist.

        Another thing you could do is consult the fraud squad of your local police.
        They are probably up on this type of scam and will be able to advise you
        about it.

        Noel

[...]

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
        69:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy