Re: [solectria_ev] Re: charger

    Message 1 of 18 , May 14, 2013
      Yeah, that will work.

      Use hyper terminal, or equivalent to connect to the BC1000.

      See here for settings:

      http://wolftronix.com/BC1000/index.htm
      On May 14, 2013 4:56 PM, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I have a 110v charger that came with the car when I bought it, it's a
      > BC1000u, any chance of just stepping up the output voltage on that one? It
      > would prolly take 24 hours to charge the pack but it might ok until this
      > charger situation gets resolved.
      >
      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The nicad (SAFT option) BC3300 are not as reprogrammable as the lead acid
      > > counter parts.
      > >
      > > I have a few SAFT chargers that I have been wanting to convert over to
      > > standard NLG4 chargers (so I can sell them off for those that want
      > spares),
      > > but I have not had the time to figure out how to do it yet.
      > >
      > > They do have different parts populated on the I/O board, different PROMs,
      > > and are wired to get power from the pack, instead of the wall.
      > >
      > > I just got done with the last customer repair in the queue (it was quite
      > > extensive):
      > > http://www.wolftronix.com/amc230_514/index.htm
      > >
      > > So now I have some free time to look at my project backlog. :)
      > > On May 14, 2013 10:29 AM, "Ken Olum" <kdo@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > From: "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...>
      > > > Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:29:36 -0000
      > > >
      > > > can someone recommend a good charger for my force? Trying to
      > > > reprogram this 3300 from nicad to lithium is way too difficult.
      > > >
      > > > I haven't used lithium, but in my experience a BC3300 (i.e. Brusa
      > > > NLG4) is a great charger except for the tendency toward overheating.
      > > > You're not likely to find another kind that is as flexible in terms of
      > > > the programming. So I'd urge you to stick with it.
      > > >
      > > > Ken

    • russell_fauver
      Message 2 of 18 , May 15, 2013
        It looks like it will work, maybe, if I don't ruin it. I've never seen or used a hyperterminal before but after doing some research I found that my XP desktop has that on there. I changed the settings on Com1 to the baud rate you called out in one of your earlier post, connected a serial cable, plugged in the charger and Nuttin. Found a blown fuse on the BC1000. Plugged it back in and it booted up! Following your instructions I was able to get into the programing section and type in the higher voltage setting. Only problem now is I don't know how to save those settings or how to properly close the hyperterminal. I also don't know how to get from one screen to another in the BC1000's program.

        I can see where my lack of computer skills is going to be a real handicap owning this car.

        Russell

        Message 3 of 18 , May 15, 2013
          This is from memory since I don't have a BC1000 and I am at work...

          Ok, after you get all the parameters the way you want.

          To go back to the main menu you press the Enter key on the keyboard, with
          out typing any parameter.

          When on the main menu, type W and press Enter to write your new values to
          the EEPROM.

          When it is done, unplug the charger and wait a few mins.

          Then plug it in and double check the parameters are what you put in.

        • russell_fauver
          Message 4 of 18 , May 16, 2013
            thanks. That worked. but the charger doesn't. Typical. For some reason I just don't think I'm meant to drive this thing. The whole experience has been a real pain. Should have just bought a leaf, it'll be the same price by the time I get this thing up and running. $19000 + 6 months of work and frustration for a 14 yr old Metro or $19000 for a 2011 Nissan Leaf and start driving it the same day. Boy, it's true what they say about hind sight.

            bought the car in Dec. ordered the batts in jan. 8 weeks to be delivered and then not a complete order. 3 more weeks waiting for the rest of the stuff, then it was short parts, again, so waiting another 3 weeks. then forever trying to cycle the batts and get 'em drained down and balanced just to put them in and find out that neither of my chargers will work. crap.

            Well I better get off of here, gotta go buy a charger. Getting so deep into this hole I hate to quit now, China has to be just a few feet deeper.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 16, 2013
              I feel your pain... this is my chronicle getting my truck working:
              http://wolftronix.com/E10/index.html

              However, I do feel it is worth it... I still drive my truck everyday to
              work.

              I am not sure that gas savings will ever pay for its self. But the
              knowledge I have gained while working on it is worth more to me than the
              money.

            • russell_fauver
              Message 6 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                ok, so I got back into the settings on the BC1000 and found that it'll power up and charge in Manual mode. I can set it to run in any one of three control modes. Obviously I'm doing something wrong in setting up the automatic section. Could it be that it won't work without an external temperature probe? there are a couple Plug-ins on the box, does there have to be things plugged into them for it to work properly?

                Message 7 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                  Yeah, it needs the temp sensor... But you can fake it out, I used a 100k
                  pot:
                  http://wolftronix.com/BC1000/images/P6140153.jpg
                  http://wolftronix.com/BC1000/images/P6140154.jpg
                  http://wolftronix.com/BC1000_2/images/P9130040.jpg

                  I adjusted the pot to show the correct temperature in the program.

                • russell_fauver
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 16, 2013
                    cool. Can I experiment with a 2 wire temp sensor without damaging the charger? What does the 4 pin connector on the other side connect to? does it supply power for something like an external fan or a coolant pump?

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 17, 2013
                      It looks like it needs a three wire temp sensor:
                      http://wolftronix.com/BC1000_1337/images/IMG_2977.jpg

                      Just use a pot to fake it out for now, besides it would have the temp
                      profile for lead acid in it, not lithium.

                      The 4 pin connector is a relay output.

                      One set is activated when the charger is plugged in to AC power, it is
                      designed to be a motion inhibit. So you can't drive off with the car
                      plugged in.

                      I don't remember what the other set does, it probably could be used to turn
                      on a fan or cooling pump if the batteries get above a certain temp.