Fraud???

  • Dixon Riley
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
      Noel---I need your help, please. I'm forwarding this guy's msg which sounds suspiciously like the scam you mentioned, but also distinctly different in that I would SUPPOSEDLY get the money before sending any off ("for the shipping"). What do you think? Thanks, Dixon

      HELLO Cheers,
      Thanks for the mail,in respect of payment i have a client in the u.s who is owing me ($18,000) All i will do is to instruct him to issuing you a united state certified cashier check on your name and immediately the check has been cashed at any cashing store centre in your location,you can deduct your money and help me send my balace, ($6,000) via western union money transfer point (near filling station) to my secetary.My secetary will use it to pay a prepay shipping cost to the shipping company so that they can instruct thier office in the u.s to come to your location and pick the (1998 SOLECTRIA FORCE EV) for shippment, I will like to know if i can trust you to help send my balance.So you will be expecting a certified cashier check of ($18,000) while you wire to to my secetray ($6,000) via western union money tranfer point (near filling station) for paying the shippers that will come to your location to pick the (1998 SOLECTRIA FORCE EV) up for shippment. So i will want you to furnish me with your FULL NAME.......... FULL ADDRESS......... CITY............ STATE......... COUNTRY.......... ZIPCODE........ CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER..........so that i can forward it to my client who will be sending the check for payment.Alongside with the picture of the (1998 SOLECTRIA FORCE EV)if available.Looking forward to your respond,Best Regards,

    • Bruce Tucker
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
        The EVAlbum/EV Tradin' Post warns against this scam. Their site has a link
        to a CBS report on the problem:
        http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/01/eveningnews/main527883.shtm

        Don't fall victim to it, or you'll be out $6000!
        Bruce

        > Noel---I need your help, please. I'm forwarding this guy's msg which
        sounds suspiciously like the scam you mentioned, but also distinctly
        different in that I would SUPPOSEDLY get the money before sending any off
        ("for the shipping"). What do you think? Thanks, Dixon

        > HELLO Cheers,
        > Thanks for the mail,in respect of payment i have a client in the
        u.s who is owing me ($18,000) All i will do is to instruct him to issuing
        you a united state certified cashier check on your name and immediately the
        check has been cashed at any cashing store centre in your location,you can
        deduct your money and help me send my balace, ($6,000) via western union
        money transfer point (near filling station) to my secetary.My secetary will
        use it to pay a prepay shipping cost to the shipping company so that they
        can instruct thier office in the u.s to come to your location and pick the
        (1998 SOLECTRIA FORCE EV) for shippment, I will like to know if i can trust
        you to help send my balance.So you will be expecting a certified cashier
        check of ($18,000) while you wire to to my secetray ($6,000) via western
        union money tranfer point (near filling station) for paying the shippers
        that will come to your location to pick the (1998 SOLECTRIA FORCE EV) up for
        shippment. So i will want you to furnish me with your FULL NAME..........
        FULL ADDRESS......... CITY............ STATE......... COUNTRY..........
        ZIPCODE........ CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER..........so that i can forward
        it to my client who will be sending the check for payment.Alongside with the
        picture of the (1998 SOLECTRIA FORCE EV)if available.Looking forward to your
        respond,Best Regards,

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Adams, Noel
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
          Dixon;

          Yes this does sound exactly like the scam. You didn't say where the guy was
          located but if it is in Africa, especially East Africa (Nigeria is a popular
          spot for this type of scam) then the odds that it is a scam are greatly
          increased The other thing that makes me suspicious is that the note looks
          like a form letter with your details copied in.

          I would not take him up on his offer but if you want to try then here are
          two approaches you could take. The first is to tell the guy flat out that
          you will not take a check for anything more than the cost of the vehicle
          plus shipping (to be determined in advance) and he will have to get the
          balance directly from the guy who owes him money, the second approach is to
          say that you will not be able to release either the funds or the vehicle
          until the check has been fully verified by your bank which will take 8 to 12
          weeks. If the guy takes either of these options he is probably legit if not
          then he is definitely a scam artist.

          Another thing you could do is consult the fraud squad of your local police.
          They are probably up on this type of scam and will be able to advise you
          about it.

          Noel

[...]

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
          69:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy