Re: [solectria_ev] Re: 1999 Solectria Broke an Axle -Aid to another EV

  • Gerry Gaydos
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2013
      That sounds to me like a problem with the differential, which is supposed to accommodate the differential rates of rotation of the wheels on curves. Have you checked the gear oil level in the transaxle? Just a thought of the top of my head.

      Good luck.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 2013-05-06, at 5:49 AM, "anthony c" <anthonycutlass6@...> wrote:

      > I may be experiencing some of the same drivability issues you were before the axle broke.
      >
      > Making turns from dead stop (such as a Left into an intersection with a light) causes "horrific" shuddering. This does not happen ALL the time, but is more pronounced when I put more on the accelerator than when I ease into the turn.
      >
      > At times, this will occur on a more minor scale from a dead stop, going straight.
      >
      > Rear shocks were replaced, I have re-torqued down all real suspension.
      >
      > 2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH, I am wondering if the axle is to blame.
      >
      > A little off topic, but thank you.
      >
      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mau Nguyen <mauvng@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, only the passenger side is custom length and the driver side is standard length.
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPod
      > >
      > > On May 5, 2013, at 7:33 PM, "Larry" <lmills187@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Mau,
      > > > Is the passenger side half shaft, with the CV joints, that you have, already the correct length for a 1999 Solectria? I would be interested in purchasing one, if that is the case.
      > > > Was the driver side half shaft also a custom length?
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Larry

    • Larry
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2013
        Mau,
        I would like to purchase a passenger side half shaft with CV joints. for my 1999 Solectria. Please contact me to arrange sale. lmills187@...

        Regards,
        Larry

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mau Nguyen <mauvng@...> wrote:

        > Yes, only the passenger side is custom length and the driver side is standard length.
        >
        > Sent from my iPod
        >
        > On May 5, 2013, at 7:33 PM, "Larry" <lmills187@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Mau,
        > > Is the passenger side half shaft, with the CV joints, that you have, already the correct length for a 1999 Solectria? I would be interested in purchasing one, if that is the case.
        > > Was the driver side half shaft also a custom length?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Larry
        > >
        > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, mau nguyen <mauvng@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have a custom driveshaft bar for that. If you're interested its will cost you $100.00 for that or if you interested the completed driveshaft with both end on, its will cost you $400.00. This is OEM parts not after market.
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Mau

      • anthony c
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2013
          Gear oil does leak a VERY small amount. I am under it frequently and top off the oil.

          I do not think this is oil related (although my first guess as well) because the issue occurs at the same/similar rate after a top off.

          I will be removing the whole rear cradle this summer to address the gear oil leak (it is only a seal, I already have it in my spare parts).

          Thank you for your thoughts and aid, my truck is at 49,100 miles, I've had so much fun!

          Anthony

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Gaydos <gerry.gaydos@...> wrote:

          > That sounds to me like a problem with the differential, which is supposed to accommodate the differential rates of rotation of the wheels on curves. Have you checked the gear oil level in the transaxle? Just a thought of the top of my head.
          >
          > Good luck.
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On 2013-05-06, at 5:49 AM, "anthony c" <anthonycutlass6@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I may be experiencing some of the same drivability issues you were before the axle broke.
          > >
          > > Making turns from dead stop (such as a Left into an intersection with a light) causes "horrific" shuddering. This does not happen ALL the time, but is more pronounced when I put more on the accelerator than when I ease into the turn.
          > >
          > > At times, this will occur on a more minor scale from a dead stop, going straight.
          > >
          > > Rear shocks were replaced, I have re-torqued down all real suspension.
          > >
          > > 2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH, I am wondering if the axle is to blame.
          > >
          > > A little off topic, but thank you.
          > >
          > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mau Nguyen <mauvng@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Yes, only the passenger side is custom length and the driver side is standard length.
          > > >
          > > > Sent from my iPod

        • Sean K
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2013
            Hi Anthony, I'm not too familiar with the ranger ev, but if I recall correctly those were factory by ford, I'm guessing they wouldn't have done the same thing with extending the axle but I could be wrong.

            If I had to make a stab at it I would check to see if there is a motor speed sensor you can check on, and also check all the connections going into your controller for corrosion. On the solectrias it seems to me that those two issues cause shuddering in acceleration much more commonly than the axle.

            Keep in mind that I'm no expert though, just have ended up having to tinker with my car way more than I ever planned to.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2013
              All advise is welcomed and thanked for.

              I am also a man who ended up thrust into all this! I love it though. I found another Ranger EV owner who had the same issue, but his mysteriously went away.

              I will keep you updated as I remove everything to do the seal.

              Anthony