1999 Solectria Broke an Axle

  • Jack Mottley
    Message 1 of 13 , May 4, 2013
      My wife was driving our 1999 Solectria Force a few weeks ago and in addition to the usual jerking motion when starting from a dead stop it went into a mode of barely moving, usually a sign that the db9 connector to the motor sensors is not making a good connection. We wiggled the connector, and it would work better for a short time then go back into the limited speed operation again.

      After stopping and wiggling the connector multiple times, it finally started moving and suddenly she heard a loud bang and the car would not accelerate although the motor seemed to be running. She coasted into a parking lot and we found that the axle to the right front wheel had broken. Had it towed home and it has been sitting in the garage since.

      The right front axle is indeed broken between the gear box and the wheel, I think due to the jerking on start up, when the wheel tries to move alternately forward and backward. I know that because before it all broke I had run the car with the front up on jackstands and could see the wheels jerk back and forth until it finally began running smoothly in the appropriate direction.

      Are the axles standard? Can they be replaced? Can they be repaired? I'll try to post photos on the Yahoo group.

      Jack Mottley
      mottley@...
      "$DO || !$DO ; try
      try: command not found" -- yoda, SWE5

    • Dexion
      Message 2 of 13 , May 4, 2013
        The "normal" failure mode for is at the weld they break. Solectria took stock axels and cut them and welded on a piece to make them longer. That's the weak spot. If I remember correctly there is someone on the forums with a full set. Or it may be possible to just reweld it. Did it break on the weld? Stock axels won't work unless they are cut and welded as well.

        Sent from my iPad

        On May 4, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Jack Mottley <jack.mottley@...> wrote:

        > My wife was driving our 1999 Solectria Force a few weeks ago and in addition to the usual jerking motion when starting from a dead stop it went into a mode of barely moving, usually a sign that the db9 connector to the motor sensors is not making a good connection. We wiggled the connector, and it would work better for a short time then go back into the limited speed operation again.
        >
        > After stopping and wiggling the connector multiple times, it finally started moving and suddenly she heard a loud bang and the car would not accelerate although the motor seemed to be running. She coasted into a parking lot and we found that the axle to the right front wheel had broken. Had it towed home and it has been sitting in the garage since.
        >
        > The right front axle is indeed broken between the gear box and the wheel, I think due to the jerking on start up, when the wheel tries to move alternately forward and backward. I know that because before it all broke I had run the car with the front up on jackstands and could see the wheels jerk back and forth until it finally began running smoothly in the appropriate direction.
        >
        > Are the axles standard? Can they be replaced? Can they be repaired? I'll try to post photos on the Yahoo group.
        >
        > Jack Mottley
        > mottley@...
        > "$DO || !$DO ; try
        > try: command not found" -- yoda, SWE5

      • William Swann
        Message 3 of 13 , May 4, 2013
          I got a repair done in Houston with stock a axle. Do not know what the
          mechanic did to make it work.

          On Saturday, May 4, 2013, Dexion wrote:

          > **
          >

          > The "normal" failure mode for is at the weld they break. Solectria took
          > stock axels and cut them and welded on a piece to make them longer. That's
          > the weak spot. If I remember correctly there is someone on the forums with
          > a full set. Or it may be possible to just reweld it. Did it break on the
          > weld? Stock axels won't work unless they are cut and welded as well.
          >
          > Sent from my iPad
          >
          > On May 4, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Jack Mottley <jack.mottley@...<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'jack.mottley%40rochester.edu');>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > My wife was driving our 1999 Solectria Force a few weeks ago and in
          > addition to the usual jerking motion when starting from a dead stop it went
          > into a mode of barely moving, usually a sign that the db9 connector to the
          > motor sensors is not making a good connection. We wiggled the connector,
          > and it would work better for a short time then go back into the limited
          > speed operation again.
          > >
          > > After stopping and wiggling the connector multiple times, it finally
          > started moving and suddenly she heard a loud bang and the car would not
          > accelerate although the motor seemed to be running. She coasted into a
          > parking lot and we found that the axle to the right front wheel had broken.
          > Had it towed home and it has been sitting in the garage since.
          > >
          > > The right front axle is indeed broken between the gear box and the
          > wheel, I think due to the jerking on start up, when the wheel tries to move
          > alternately forward and backward. I know that because before it all broke I
          > had run the car with the front up on jackstands and could see the wheels
          > jerk back and forth until it finally began running smoothly in the
          > appropriate direction.
          > >
          > > Are the axles standard? Can they be replaced? Can they be repaired? I'll
          > try to post photos on the Yahoo group.
          > >
          > > Jack Mottley
          > > mottley@... <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
          > 'mottley%40ece.rochester.edu');>
          > > "$DO || !$DO ; try
          > > try: command not found" -- yoda, SWE5

          Thanks, Bill S
          Ph 832-338-3080
          www.watt-tracker.com
          www.promotingevs.com

        • Chandler Chip
          Message 4 of 13 , May 4, 2013
            Mau Nguyen may still have standard Solectria axles available. He assembled vehicles for Solectria and Azure Dynamics:

            Chip Chandler
            cchandler66@...

            On May 4, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Jack Mottley <jack.mottley@...> wrote:

            > My wife was driving our 1999 Solectria Force a few weeks ago and in addition to the usual jerking motion when starting from a dead stop it went into a mode of barely moving, usually a sign that the db9 connector to the motor sensors is not making a good connection. We wiggled the connector, and it would work better for a short time then go back into the limited speed operation again.
            >
            > After stopping and wiggling the connector multiple times, it finally started moving and suddenly she heard a loud bang and the car would not accelerate although the motor seemed to be running. She coasted into a parking lot and we found that the axle to the right front wheel had broken. Had it towed home and it has been sitting in the garage since.
            >
            > The right front axle is indeed broken between the gear box and the wheel, I think due to the jerking on start up, when the wheel tries to move alternately forward and backward. I know that because before it all broke I had run the car with the front up on jackstands and could see the wheels jerk back and forth until it finally began running smoothly in the appropriate direction.
            >
            > Are the axles standard? Can they be replaced? Can they be repaired? I'll try to post photos on the Yahoo group.
            >
            > Jack Mottley
            > mottley@...
            > "$DO || !$DO ; try
            > try: command not found" -- yoda, SWE5

          • mau nguyen
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2013
              I have a custom driveshaft bar for that. If you're interested its will cost you $100.00 for that or if you interested the completed driveshaft with both end on, its will cost you $400.00. This is OEM parts not after market.
              Thanks,
              Mau

              Mau Nguyen may still have standard Solectria axles available. He assembled vehicles for Solectria and Azure Dynamics:

              Chip Chandler
              cchandler66@...

              On May 4, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Jack Mottley <jack.mottley@...> wrote:

              > My wife was driving our 1999 Solectria Force a few weeks ago and in addition to the usual jerking motion when starting from a dead stop it went into a mode of barely moving, usually a sign that the db9 connector to the motor sensors is not making a good connection. We wiggled the connector, and it would work better for a short time then go back into the limited speed operation again.
              >
              > After stopping and wiggling the connector multiple times, it finally started moving and suddenly she heard a loud bang and the car would not accelerate although the motor seemed to be running. She coasted into a parking lot and we found that the axle to the right front wheel had broken. Had it towed home and it has been sitting in the garage since.
              >
              > The right front axle is indeed broken between the gear box and the wheel, I think due to the jerking on start up, when the wheel tries to move alternately forward and backward. I know that because before it all broke I had run the car with the front up on jackstands and could see the wheels jerk back and forth until it finally began running smoothly in the appropriate direction.
              >
              > Are the axles standard? Can they be replaced? Can they be repaired? I'll try to post photos on the Yahoo group.
              >
              > Jack Mottley
              > mottley@...
              > "$DO || !$DO ; try
              > try: command not found" -- yoda, SWE5

            • Larry
              Message 6 of 13 , May 5, 2013
                Mau,
                Is the passenger side half shaft, with the CV joints, that you have, already the correct length for a 1999 Solectria? I would be interested in purchasing one, if that is the case.
                Was the driver side half shaft also a custom length?

                Regards,
                Larry

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, mau nguyen <mauvng@...> wrote:

                > I have a custom driveshaft bar for that. If you're interested its will cost you $100.00 for that or if you interested the completed driveshaft with both end on, its will cost you $400.00. This is OEM parts not after market.
                > Thanks,
                > Mau

              • Mau Nguyen
                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2013
                  Yes, only the passenger side is custom length and the driver side is standard length.

                  Sent from my iPod

                  On May 5, 2013, at 7:33 PM, "Larry" <lmills187@...> wrote:

                  > Mau,
                  > Is the passenger side half shaft, with the CV joints, that you have, already the correct length for a 1999 Solectria? I would be interested in purchasing one, if that is the case.
                  > Was the driver side half shaft also a custom length?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Larry
                  >
                  > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, mau nguyen <mauvng@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have a custom driveshaft bar for that. If you're interested its will cost you $100.00 for that or if you interested the completed driveshaft with both end on, its will cost you $400.00. This is OEM parts not after market.
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Mau

                • anthony c
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 6, 2013
                    I may be experiencing some of the same drivability issues you were before the axle broke.

                    Making turns from dead stop (such as a Left into an intersection with a light) causes "horrific" shuddering. This does not happen ALL the time, but is more pronounced when I put more on the accelerator than when I ease into the turn.

                    At times, this will occur on a more minor scale from a dead stop, going straight.

                    Rear shocks were replaced, I have re-torqued down all real suspension.

                    2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH, I am wondering if the axle is to blame.

                    A little off topic, but thank you.

                    --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mau Nguyen <mauvng@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, only the passenger side is custom length and the driver side is standard length.
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPod
                    >
                    > On May 5, 2013, at 7:33 PM, "Larry" <lmills187@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Mau,
                    > > Is the passenger side half shaft, with the CV joints, that you have, already the correct length for a 1999 Solectria? I would be interested in purchasing one, if that is the case.
                    > > Was the driver side half shaft also a custom length?
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Larry
                    > >
                    > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, mau nguyen <mauvng@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I have a custom driveshaft bar for that. If you're interested its will cost you $100.00 for that or if you interested the completed driveshaft with both end on, its will cost you $400.00. This is OEM parts not after market.
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Mau

                  • Gerry Gaydos
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 6, 2013
                      That sounds to me like a problem with the differential, which is supposed to accommodate the differential rates of rotation of the wheels on curves. Have you checked the gear oil level in the transaxle? Just a thought of the top of my head.

                      Good luck.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 7, 2013
                        Mau,
                        I would like to purchase a passenger side half shaft with CV joints. for my 1999 Solectria. Please contact me to arrange sale. lmills187@...

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 7, 2013
                          Gear oil does leak a VERY small amount. I am under it frequently and top off the oil.

                          I do not think this is oil related (although my first guess as well) because the issue occurs at the same/similar rate after a top off.

                          I will be removing the whole rear cradle this summer to address the gear oil leak (it is only a seal, I already have it in my spare parts).

                          Thank you for your thoughts and aid, my truck is at 49,100 miles, I've had so much fun!

                          Anthony

                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Gaydos <gerry.gaydos@...> wrote:

                          > That sounds to me like a problem with the differential, which is supposed to accommodate the differential rates of rotation of the wheels on curves. Have you checked the gear oil level in the transaxle? Just a thought of the top of my head.
                          >
                          > Good luck.
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPhone
                          >
                          > On 2013-05-06, at 5:49 AM, "anthony c" <anthonycutlass6@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I may be experiencing some of the same drivability issues you were before the axle broke.
                          > >
                          > > Making turns from dead stop (such as a Left into an intersection with a light) causes "horrific" shuddering. This does not happen ALL the time, but is more pronounced when I put more on the accelerator than when I ease into the turn.
                          > >
                          > > At times, this will occur on a more minor scale from a dead stop, going straight.
                          > >
                          > > Rear shocks were replaced, I have re-torqued down all real suspension.
                          > >
                          > > 2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH, I am wondering if the axle is to blame.
                          > >
                          > > A little off topic, but thank you.
                          > >
                          > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mau Nguyen <mauvng@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Yes, only the passenger side is custom length and the driver side is standard length.
                          > > >
                          > > > Sent from my iPod

                        • Sean K
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 7, 2013
                            Hi Anthony, I'm not too familiar with the ranger ev, but if I recall correctly those were factory by ford, I'm guessing they wouldn't have done the same thing with extending the axle but I could be wrong.

                            If I had to make a stab at it I would check to see if there is a motor speed sensor you can check on, and also check all the connections going into your controller for corrosion. On the solectrias it seems to me that those two issues cause shuddering in acceleration much more commonly than the axle.

                            Keep in mind that I'm no expert though, just have ended up having to tinker with my car way more than I ever planned to.

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                              All advise is welcomed and thanked for.

                              I am also a man who ended up thrust into all this! I love it though. I found another Ranger EV owner who had the same issue, but his mysteriously went away.

                              I will keep you updated as I remove everything to do the seal.

                              Anthony