Re: calb battery

  • anthony c
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 6 5:48 AM
      Great info from the group(S). I am happy to see Ranger EV people here as we all can learn from eachother.

      I just saw the magic words...GROUP BUY.

      Please let me know when another one is coming around, my Fiero EV Project is going LiFePO4 (because you can't get NiMH).

      Ant

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Frank John <biker_ev@...> wrote:

      > CALB's are lithium iron phosphate which I don't think have the same overheating problem as lithium cobalt (LiPo's), at least not to the same extent.  I'd try to recover it.  (I've had a few T-Sky cells accidentally get low due to small discharges while in storage and they've recovered okay.)
      >

      > Frank John
      > NEDRA NE Regional Director &Loring Timing Association Liaison
      > www.nedra.com
      >

      > >________________________________

    • russell_fauver
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 6 9:26 PM
        Good news. It doesn't seem like the battery was hurt by draining it down to 1.0v. I charged the 4 batteries for 8 more hours today at 9ah. Let them rest for a few hours, then put them back on tonight at 10ah and it took 1:35 to finish them up. When the first cell hit 3.55 I stopped the charge. The 4 cell readings were 3.55, 3.45, 3.47 and the one I flattened was 3.51. They all stayed nice and cool during the charge.

        This morning they were all at exactly the same voltage after being tied in parallel overnight. I was surprised by how close they stayed during the 8 charge today, the voltage between cells didn't stray more than 0.01. Tonight was pretty consistent too until they hit 3.4 volts, then they started drifting apart.

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoo groups.com, Russell Fauver <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

        > It was discharging at 7 amps when I came inside and realized what I did. I told my wife to pull the plug since she was right next to it. Maybe 30 seconds or so had passed until I got there and measured the voltage at 1.0, I don't know how low it was under load.
        >
        > Last night I matched it up with 3 other discharged cells and put them on an 8 amp charge. The one I over discharged started out about 0.02 volts higher than the others and stayed within 0.05 during the charge. After 3 hours I took 'em off the charger and tied them together in parallel to let them sit over night.
        >
        > I'll charge them more today and see how it goes.

      • russell_fauver
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 8 5:03 PM
          Today I drained those 4 batteries. I connected them in series to a 12 volt 250 watt landing light at 11:30 and at 5pm the cell voltage dropped below 3 volts. At 5:20 I measured 3 cells at 2.8 and the one that I accidentally over-discharged was down to 2.6 so I stopped right there. Their voltages stayed remarkably even during the discharge until dropping below 3.0 but that seems to be the same thing that happened with the rest of the pack too when I was draining them. so 250 watts/12.8v nominal x 5:50 = 113.8ah

          Russell

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

          > Good news. It doesn't seem like the battery was hurt by draining it down to 1.0v. I charged the 4 batteries for 8 more hours today at 9ah. Let them rest for a few hours, then put them back on tonight at 10ah and it took 1:35 to finish them up. When the first cell hit 3.55 I stopped the charge. The 4 cell readings were 3.55, 3.45, 3.47 and the one I flattened was 3.51. They all stayed nice and cool during the charge.
          >
          > This morning they were all at exactly the same voltage after being tied in parallel overnight. I was surprised by how close they stayed during the 8 charge today, the voltage between cells didn't stray more than 0.01. Tonight was pretty consistent too until they hit 3.4 volts, then they started drifting apart.
          >
          > --- In solectria_ev@yahoo groups.com, Russell Fauver <russell_fauver@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It was discharging at 7 amps when I came inside and realized what I did. I told my wife to pull the plug since she was right next to it. Maybe 30 seconds or so had passed until I got there and measured the voltage at 1.0, I don't know how low it was under load.
          > >
          > > Last night I matched it up with 3 other discharged cells and put them on an 8 amp charge. The one I over discharged started out about 0.02 volts higher than the others and stayed within 0.05 during the charge. After 3 hours I took 'em off the charger and tied them together in parallel to let them sit over night.
          > >
          > > I'll charge them more today and see how it goes.

        • theoldcars
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 8 6:37 PM
            Or you could say it is a 20 amp load for 5.5 hours = 110Ah

            Which is not bad for a 100Ah cell.

            So no loss of capacity and most likely will not affect the cycle life.

            Glad to hear all is well

            Don Blazer

            (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) , "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

            > Good news. It doesn't seem like the battery was hurt by draining it down
            to 1.0v. I charged the 4 batteries for 8 more hours today at 9ah. Let them
            rest for a few hours, then put them back on tonight at 10ah and it took
            1:35 to finish them up. When the first cell hit 3.55 I stopped the charge.
            The 4 cell readings were 3.55, 3.45, 3.47 and the one I flattened was 3.51.
            They all stayed nice and cool during the charge.

            > This morning they were all at exactly the same voltage after being tied
            in parallel overnight. I was surprised by how close they stayed during the
            8 charge today, the voltage between cells didn't stray more than 0.01.
            Tonight was pretty consistent too until they hit 3.4 volts, then they started
            drifting apart.

            > --- In solectria_ev@yahoo groups.com, Russell Fauver <russell_fauver@>
            wrote:

            > > It was discharging at 7 amps when I came inside and realized what I
            did. I told my wife to pull the plug since she was right next to it. Maybe 30
            seconds or so had passed until I got there and measured the voltage at
            1.0, I don't know how low it was under load.

            > > Last night I matched it up with 3 other discharged cells and put them
            on an 8 amp charge. The one I over discharged started out about 0.02 volts
            higher than the others and stayed within 0.05 during the charge. After 3
            hours I took 'em off the charger and tied them together in parallel to
            let them sit over night.

            > > I'll charge them more today and see how it goes.

          • MARK BUSH
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 8 7:42 PM
              Hi Russell,
              If you want to know what is going on in these CA Cells I would suggest watching www.evtv.me watch the friday April 5 2013 show. Jack Rickard has been playing with these batteries LiFePO4 since 2008 he has personally destroyed many cells in the name of science and knows by experiment after expensive experiment how they function� check it out.
              Mark J Bush
              "Keep On Pluggin"

              On Apr 4, 2013, at 10:50 AM, russell_fauver <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

              > I have been cycling my new Calb CA100's and I let one of 'em get too low. I was discharging it, went outside and promptly forgot about it. When I came back in I disconnected the load and checked the voltage... 1.0 volts. After sitting for a few minutes it had recovered to 2 volts and I connected it to another cell that I drained to 2.8v earlier in the day. It seemed to accept the power ok but I wonder if i've done any permanent damage to the battery. Would it be best to just trash it or should I spend some time cycling it and see how it does? I'd hate to put it in the car and have trouble with it down the road. What do you think?

            • paul dove
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 9 4:26 AM
                That is not correct information Don. These cells will indeed catch fire when over charged. If one just overcharges them a little they will still be damaged. Check the capacity and you will see they have lost some.

              • paul dove
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 9 4:32 AM
                  Yes, measuring the capacity is the only way to tell.

                • paul dove
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 9 4:42 AM
                    The only way to know for sure is to measure the Ah capacity of the battery. Voltage is almost meaningless

                  • paul dove
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 9 7:33 AM
                      bad conclusion. It dropped before the rest so some damage but minimal. still
                      useable if you bottom balance the pack.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 9 12:12 PM
                        thanks Mark. Lots of great info on there

                        Russell