Re: [solectria_ev] calb battery

  • theoldcars
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 4, 2013
      It might be alright

      I would just slowly charge it to full and cycle it kindly and measure the
      capacity.

      Since it did not go to zero volts it just might recover fully.

      What load was it under when it was at 1 volt?

      Don Blazer

      In a message dated 4/4/2013 10:50:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      russell_fauver@... writes:

      I have been cycling my new Calb CA100's and I let one of 'em get too low.
      I was discharging it, went outside and promptly forgot about it. When I
      came back in I disconnected the load and checked the voltage... 1.0 volts.
      After sitting for a few minutes it had recovered to 2 volts and I connected it
      to another cell that I drained to 2.8v earlier in the day. It seemed to
      accept the power ok but I wonder if i've done any permanent damage to the
      battery. Would it be best to just trash it or should I spend some time cycling
      it and see how it does? I'd hate to put it in the car and have trouble
      with it down the road. What do you think?

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
        I believe this is a lithium-ion battery. If so, it is extremely dangerous to recharge it after overdischarging it. This can lead to overheating and fire in the cell. Once the cell has been over-discharged, you can't recharge it. It's not like a lead acid cell.

        Ken

      • rclugnut@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
          Ken you can if you keep an eye on the voltage and make sure it doesn't puff, or get too hot. Though i was under the impression that they were lithium iron phosphate cells. Either way if you're charging the cells individually you shouldn't have an issue if temp and voltage are kept in mind and the charge rate is around .1C

          Newton

          I believe this is a lithium-ion battery. If so, it is extremely dangerous to recharge it after overdischarging it. This can lead to overheating and fire in the cell. Once the cell has been over-discharged, you can't recharge it. It's not like a lead acid cell. Ken --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, theoldcars@... wrote: > > It might be alright > > I would just slowly charge it to full and cycle it kindly and measure the > capacity. > > Since it did not go to zero volts it just might recover fully. > > What load was it under when it was at 1 volt? > > Don Blazer > > > In a message dated 4/4/2013 10:50:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, > russell_fauver@... writes: > > I have been cycling my new Calb CA100's and I let one of 'em get too low. > I was discharging it, went outside and promptly forgot about it. When I > came back in I disconnected the load and checked the voltage... 1.0 volts. > After sitting for a few minutes it had recovered to 2 volts and I connected it > to another cell that I drained to 2.8v earlier in the day. It seemed to > accept the power ok but I wonder if i've done any permanent damage to the > battery. Would it be best to just trash it or should I spend some time cycling > it and see how it does? I'd hate to put it in the car and have trouble > with it down the road. What do you think? > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >
        • d. Bouton Baldridge
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
            Hi Don,
            I have had quite a few TS cells go to 0v (my mistakes) and brought them back to life not once but several times; (the Ranger accessory bat with old DS-50 does it if I don't watch it) with gentle charging. I've also had many cells go bad by overcharging, they do not recover. It would seem that if a cell goes to zero in a very slow discharge there is good chance of recovery, but any cell discharged or charged too aggressively is unlikely to be used again. It is worth the try. FWIW
            Bouty

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
              It's a lithium iron phosphate cell. If it hasn't swelled, I wouldn't
              hesitate to try recharging it. I suspect it will be fine.

              --Rick

              On 04/05/2013 09:17 AM, Ken wrote:
              > I believe this is a lithium-ion battery. If so, it is extremely
              > dangerous to recharge it after overdischarging it. This can lead to
              > overheating and fire in the cell. Once the cell has been
              > over-discharged, you can't recharge it. It's not like a lead acid cell.
              >
              > Ken
              >
              > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>, theoldcars@... wrote:
              > >
              > > It might be alright
              > >
              > > I would just slowly charge it to full and cycle it kindly and measure
              > the
              > > capacity.
              > >
              > > Since it did not go to zero volts it just might recover fully.
              > >
              > > What load was it under when it was at 1 volt?
              > >
              > > Don Blazer
            • theoldcars
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                Hello Ken

                Correct chemistry but there are many mixes. The CALB cells are LiFePo4 and
                is no more dangerous then lead acid. You can drive a nail through it with
                a full charge and the only result will be is the release of the stored
                energy.

                A good friend of mine who likes to see what things will do put a charger at
                10 amps on a full cell over night. The cell went way over voltage and
                still worked. Not satisfied he did it again and he managed to damage the cell
                to where it puffed up in size a little.

                That said just like lead acid you can have a fire from a poor connection.
                The LiFePo4 cells themselves however will not be additional fuel.

                In the last year with overseeing well over 250,000 of CALB group buys I
                had one cell fail with an internal short. The SE series cell had a couple of
                melted areas but did not burn it or the cells or the wood box it was in. The
                newer CA series just from the exterior appears to be higher quality
                construction.

                Don Blazer

                --- In _solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com)
                , theoldcars@... wrote:

                > It might be alright
                >
                > I would just slowly charge it to full and cycle it kindly and measure
                the
                > capacity.
                >
                > Since it did not go to zero volts it just might recover fully.
                >
                > What load was it under when it was at 1 volt?
                >
                > Don Blazer

              • theoldcars
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Hello Bouty

                  I agree with you if it was a very low discharge the cell would have a much
                  better chance. Its why I asked what load was the cell under. It is
                  interesting information to know if it will recover and what the load was.

                  Don Blazer

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                    CALB's are lithium iron phosphate which I don't think have the same overheating problem as lithium cobalt (LiPo's), at least not to the same extent.  I'd try to recover it.  (I've had a few T-Sky cells accidentally get low due to small discharges while in storage and they've recovered okay.)

                    Frank John
                    NEDRA NE Regional Director &Loring Timing Association Liaison
                    www.nedra.com

                    >________________________________

                  • Russell Fauver
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
                      It was discharging at 7 amps when I came inside and realized what I did. I told my wife to pull the plug since she was right next to it. Maybe 30 seconds or so had passed until I got there and measured the voltage at 1.0, I don't know how low it was under load.

                      Last night I matched it up with 3 other discharged cells and put them on an 8 amp charge. The one I over discharged started out about 0.02 volts higher than the others and stayed within 0.05 during the charge. After 3 hours I took 'em off the charger and tied them together in parallel to let them sit over night.

                      I'll charge them more today and see how it goes.

                    • anthony c
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
                        Great info from the group(S). I am happy to see Ranger EV people here as we all can learn from eachother.

                        I just saw the magic words...GROUP BUY.

                        Please let me know when another one is coming around, my Fiero EV Project is going LiFePO4 (because you can't get NiMH).

                        Ant

                        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Frank John <biker_ev@...> wrote:

                        > CALB's are lithium iron phosphate which I don't think have the same overheating problem as lithium cobalt (LiPo's), at least not to the same extent.  I'd try to recover it.  (I've had a few T-Sky cells accidentally get low due to small discharges while in storage and they've recovered okay.)
                        >

                        > Frank John
                        > NEDRA NE Regional Director &Loring Timing Association Liaison
                        > www.nedra.com
                        >

                        > >________________________________

                      • russell_fauver
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 6, 2013
                          Good news. It doesn't seem like the battery was hurt by draining it down to 1.0v. I charged the 4 batteries for 8 more hours today at 9ah. Let them rest for a few hours, then put them back on tonight at 10ah and it took 1:35 to finish them up. When the first cell hit 3.55 I stopped the charge. The 4 cell readings were 3.55, 3.45, 3.47 and the one I flattened was 3.51. They all stayed nice and cool during the charge.

                          This morning they were all at exactly the same voltage after being tied in parallel overnight. I was surprised by how close they stayed during the 8 charge today, the voltage between cells didn't stray more than 0.01. Tonight was pretty consistent too until they hit 3.4 volts, then they started drifting apart.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                            Today I drained those 4 batteries. I connected them in series to a 12 volt 250 watt landing light at 11:30 and at 5pm the cell voltage dropped below 3 volts. At 5:20 I measured 3 cells at 2.8 and the one that I accidentally over-discharged was down to 2.6 so I stopped right there. Their voltages stayed remarkably even during the discharge until dropping below 3.0 but that seems to be the same thing that happened with the rest of the pack too when I was draining them. so 250 watts/12.8v nominal x 5:50 = 113.8ah

                            Russell

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                              Or you could say it is a 20 amp load for 5.5 hours = 110Ah

                              Which is not bad for a 100Ah cell.

                              So no loss of capacity and most likely will not affect the cycle life.

                              Glad to hear all is well

                              Don Blazer

                              (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) , "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

                              > Good news. It doesn't seem like the battery was hurt by draining it down
                              to 1.0v. I charged the 4 batteries for 8 more hours today at 9ah. Let them
                              rest for a few hours, then put them back on tonight at 10ah and it took
                              1:35 to finish them up. When the first cell hit 3.55 I stopped the charge.
                              The 4 cell readings were 3.55, 3.45, 3.47 and the one I flattened was 3.51.
                              They all stayed nice and cool during the charge.

                              > This morning they were all at exactly the same voltage after being tied
                              in parallel overnight. I was surprised by how close they stayed during the
                              8 charge today, the voltage between cells didn't stray more than 0.01.
                              Tonight was pretty consistent too until they hit 3.4 volts, then they started
                              drifting apart.

                              > --- In solectria_ev@yahoo groups.com, Russell Fauver <russell_fauver@>
                              wrote:

                              > > It was discharging at 7 amps when I came inside and realized what I
                              did. I told my wife to pull the plug since she was right next to it. Maybe 30
                              seconds or so had passed until I got there and measured the voltage at
                              1.0, I don't know how low it was under load.

                              > > Last night I matched it up with 3 other discharged cells and put them
                              on an 8 amp charge. The one I over discharged started out about 0.02 volts
                              higher than the others and stayed within 0.05 during the charge. After 3
                              hours I took 'em off the charger and tied them together in parallel to
                              let them sit over night.

                              > > I'll charge them more today and see how it goes.

                            • MARK BUSH
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 8, 2013
                                Hi Russell,
                                If you want to know what is going on in these CA Cells I would suggest watching www.evtv.me watch the friday April 5 2013 show. Jack Rickard has been playing with these batteries LiFePO4 since 2008 he has personally destroyed many cells in the name of science and knows by experiment after expensive experiment how they function� check it out.
                                Mark J Bush
                                "Keep On Pluggin"

                                On Apr 4, 2013, at 10:50 AM, russell_fauver <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

                                > I have been cycling my new Calb CA100's and I let one of 'em get too low. I was discharging it, went outside and promptly forgot about it. When I came back in I disconnected the load and checked the voltage... 1.0 volts. After sitting for a few minutes it had recovered to 2 volts and I connected it to another cell that I drained to 2.8v earlier in the day. It seemed to accept the power ok but I wonder if i've done any permanent damage to the battery. Would it be best to just trash it or should I spend some time cycling it and see how it does? I'd hate to put it in the car and have trouble with it down the road. What do you think?

                              • paul dove
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                                  That is not correct information Don. These cells will indeed catch fire when over charged. If one just overcharges them a little they will still be damaged. Check the capacity and you will see they have lost some.

                                • paul dove
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                                    Yes, measuring the capacity is the only way to tell.

                                  • paul dove
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                                      The only way to know for sure is to measure the Ah capacity of the battery. Voltage is almost meaningless

                                    • paul dove
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                                        bad conclusion. It dropped before the rest so some damage but minimal. still
                                        useable if you bottom balance the pack.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 9, 2013
                                          thanks Mark. Lots of great info on there

                                          Russell