Re: latest lithium NLG4 profile posted to "files" section

  • geo_homsy2
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
      I don't know for sure the SOC at 3.4 volts; it's a guess based on what Mike Rydjord (sp?) told me. He's taken them through several cycles on the Powerlab 8. Be careful about reading the discharge vs. the charge graph. It's the discharge graph that says 3.4 is full. I've never seen the charge graph. Also note, the datasheet says 3.6 volts for full charge. I've noticed they tend to "spring" back to a bit lower voltage after 20 minutes or so after you charge them.

      Anyway, 190 is about all I'm comfortable with, with the AMC320 controller and the Solectria DC-DC converter. As it is, I had to reprogram the AMC to accept a higher input voltage anyway without "squeaking".

      To open the charge profile, you have to use NLG_E. You DON'T need to connect it to your charger (though it won't hurt anything if you do -- there's just no reason to). Just fire up NLG_E and do a "load from disk", then look at it.

      Cheers!

      //Geo

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

      > ok, another question... How do you know the state of charge? Looking at the charge graph from Calb, 3,4 volts is a full charge. 56 cells at 3.4 volts = 190v for the pack. So if you charge to 190v like what's in your latest charge profile then isn't that 100%?
      >
      > and that may be where my lack of understanding comes from, I haven't actually looked at your charge profile. Being the computerphobic guy that I am I haven't figured out how to open the file. Can it be opened? does it have to be loaded into the NLG_E program to be seen? Do I have to be hooked to my charger to see your charge profile? If I do then how would I keep it from reprogramming my charger while I have the Nicds in there?
      >

      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually, I did NOT balance my cells before installation. I probably should have, but they were all measuring within 10 millivolts, and I figured my BMS would (eventually) take care of any imbalance. And certainly my BMS will shut me down if they're badly out of balance at the bottom end.
      > >
      > > I charge to about 80% SOC to increase their lifespan. And so far, I've been into them for about 50 Ah and back, and they're all perfect. So, I'm pretty sure they're in a reasonably good state of balance. There's one that's a bit of a laggart when it's charging, but I haven't seen it sag during discharge. There are others with higher cell resistances. The low terminal-voltage guy seems to hold up fine under load...
      > >

      > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Thanks for posting your charge profiles on here, it'll be a huge help once I get my lithiums. Did you balance your cells before you installed them?
      > > >
      > > > Russell

    • russell_fauver
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
        Geo, I found a Charge chart for the CALB CA100's http://cali-battery.en.alibaba.com/product/741163765-218145480/CALB_CA100FI_battery_cell_for_electric_vehicle_energy_storage_system_and_telecom.html

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@...> wrote:

        > I don't know for sure the SOC at 3.4 volts; it's a guess based on what Mike Rydjord (sp?) told me. He's taken them through several cycles on the Powerlab 8. Be careful about reading the discharge vs. the charge graph. It's the discharge graph that says 3.4 is full. I've never seen the charge graph. Also note, the datasheet says 3.6 volts for full charge. I've noticed they tend to "spring" back to a bit lower voltage after 20 minutes or so after you charge them.
        >
        > Anyway, 190 is about all I'm comfortable with, with the AMC320 controller and the Solectria DC-DC converter. As it is, I had to reprogram the AMC to accept a higher input voltage anyway without "squeaking".
        >
        > To open the charge profile, you have to use NLG_E. You DON'T need to connect it to your charger (though it won't hurt anything if you do -- there's just no reason to). Just fire up NLG_E and do a "load from disk", then look at it.
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > //Geo
        >

        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@> wrote:
        > >
        > > ok, another question... How do you know the state of charge? Looking at the charge graph from Calb, 3,4 volts is a full charge. 56 cells at 3.4 volts = 190v for the pack. So if you charge to 190v like what's in your latest charge profile then isn't that 100%?
        > >
        > > and that may be where my lack of understanding comes from, I haven't actually looked at your charge profile. Being the computerphobic guy that I am I haven't figured out how to open the file. Can it be opened? does it have to be loaded into the NLG_E program to be seen? Do I have to be hooked to my charger to see your charge profile? If I do then how would I keep it from reprogramming my charger while I have the Nicds in there?
        > >

        > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Actually, I did NOT balance my cells before installation. I probably should have, but they were all measuring within 10 millivolts, and I figured my BMS would (eventually) take care of any imbalance. And certainly my BMS will shut me down if they're badly out of balance at the bottom end.
        > > >
        > > > I charge to about 80% SOC to increase their lifespan. And so far, I've been into them for about 50 Ah and back, and they're all perfect. So, I'm pretty sure they're in a reasonably good state of balance. There's one that's a bit of a laggart when it's charging, but I haven't seen it sag during discharge. There are others with higher cell resistances. The low terminal-voltage guy seems to hold up fine under load...

      • geo_homsy2
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28, 2013
          Mmmm, thanks for this! Sadly, I have the SE series cells. Presumably not TOO different, but not sure.

          Looks like 3.4 volts is indeed, about 80% SOC at 0.1 or 0.2C rate (0.3 is the lowest on the chart; I'm just extrapolating by eye).