Re: Com Port

  • geo_homsy2
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4 10:15 PM
      Did you ever get this working?

      I had a lot of trouble getting mine to work with most brands of USB/serial adapters.

      Fortunately I have an old edgeport/8 lying around that has rock solid drivers. That one works.

      Hope you got yours working...

      //Geo

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

      > Howdy, I've been having trouble getting my Vista laptop to talk to the NLG4 charger. All I have is USB ports so I bought this adapter http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145403 and downloaded the driver from the mfg website. I plug the cord in with the charger running and try monlog_e I get a message that says no com 1 found then it'll try again looking for com 2 but still nothing then it times out.
      >
      > Any suggestions? I mean besides dumping Vista for a better OS.
      >
      > Russell

    • russell_fauver
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5 5:23 AM
        Thanks! That fixed it. Vista had it set up on Com 5.

        Russell

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

        > Plug in the USB to serial adapter.
        >
        > Go to device manager.
        > Click advanced properties on the comm port.
        >
        > Change it to comm 1.
        >
        > Windows likes to default USB to serial adapters on comm 6 for some odd
        > reason...
        > On Mar 4, 2013 7:20 PM, "Dexion" <dexion111@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Same hardware and machine but with Windows 7 I couldn't get it to work
        > > with either cable
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPad
        > >
        > > On Mar 4, 2013, at 8:19 PM, Dexion dexion111@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Take 2 has it ever worked with that laptop and that adapter I have an XP
        > > machine that works fine with a serial cable but does not work the USB
        > > adapter
        > > >
        > > > Sent from my iPad

        > > NLG4 charger. All I have is USB ports so I bought this adapter
        > > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145403and downloaded the driver from the mfg website. I plug the cord in with the
        > > charger running and try monlog_e I get a message that says no com 1 found
        > > then it'll try again looking for com 2 but still nothing then it times out.

      • Russell Fauver
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5 8:14 AM
          Yep, up and running  :-)  thanks

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5 9:47 AM
            Also, make a note of which USB port the adapter is in.

            If you plug it into another USB port, it will go back to com 5 or 6.
            On Mar 5, 2013 7:23 AM, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks! That fixed it. Vista had it set up on Com 5.
            >
            > Russell
            >
            > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf wrote:
            > >
            > > Plug in the USB to serial adapter.
            > >
            > > Go to device manager.
            > > Click advanced properties on the comm port.
            > >
            > > Change it to comm 1.
            > >
            > > Windows likes to default USB to serial adapters on comm 6 for some odd
            > > reason...
            > > On Mar 4, 2013 7:20 PM, "Dexion" wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > Same hardware and machine but with Windows 7 I couldn't get it to work
            > > > with either cable
            > > >
            > > > Sent from my iPad

            > an XP
            > > > machine that works fine with a serial cable but does not work the USB
            > > > adapter

            > the
            > > > NLG4 charger. All I have is USB ports so I bought this adapter
            > > >
            > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145403anddownloaded the driver from the mfg website. I plug the cord in with the
            > > > charger running and try monlog_e I get a message that says no com 1
            > found
            > > > then it'll try again looking for com 2 but still nothing then it times
            > out.

          • russell_fauver
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5 10:39 AM
              thanks for the heads up.