Re: [solectria_ev] Com Port

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
      Plug in the USB to serial adapter.

      Go to device manager.
      Click advanced properties on the comm port.

      Change it to comm 1.

      Windows likes to default USB to serial adapters on comm 6 for some odd
      reason...
      On Mar 4, 2013 7:20 PM, "Dexion" <dexion111@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Same hardware and machine but with Windows 7 I couldn't get it to work
      > with either cable
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > On Mar 4, 2013, at 8:19 PM, Dexion dexion111@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Take 2 has it ever worked with that laptop and that adapter I have an XP
      > machine that works fine with a serial cable but does not work the USB
      > adapter
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPad
      > >
      > > On Mar 4, 2013, at 8:16 PM, "russell_fauver" russell_fauver@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > > Howdy, I've been having trouble getting my Vista laptop to talk to the
      > NLG4 charger. All I have is USB ports so I bought this adapter
      > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145403and downloaded the driver from the mfg website. I plug the cord in with the
      > charger running and try monlog_e I get a message that says no com 1 found
      > then it'll try again looking for com 2 but still nothing then it times out.
      > > >
      > > > Any suggestions? I mean besides dumping Vista for a better OS.
      > > >
      > > > Russell

    • geo_homsy2
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2013
        Did you ever get this working?

        I had a lot of trouble getting mine to work with most brands of USB/serial adapters.

        Fortunately I have an old edgeport/8 lying around that has rock solid drivers. That one works.

        Hope you got yours working...

        //Geo

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

        > Howdy, I've been having trouble getting my Vista laptop to talk to the NLG4 charger. All I have is USB ports so I bought this adapter http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145403 and downloaded the driver from the mfg website. I plug the cord in with the charger running and try monlog_e I get a message that says no com 1 found then it'll try again looking for com 2 but still nothing then it times out.
        >
        > Any suggestions? I mean besides dumping Vista for a better OS.
        >
        > Russell

      • russell_fauver
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
          Thanks! That fixed it. Vista had it set up on Com 5.

          Russell

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

          > Plug in the USB to serial adapter.
          >
          > Go to device manager.
          > Click advanced properties on the comm port.
          >
          > Change it to comm 1.
          >
          > Windows likes to default USB to serial adapters on comm 6 for some odd
          > reason...
          > On Mar 4, 2013 7:20 PM, "Dexion" <dexion111@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Same hardware and machine but with Windows 7 I couldn't get it to work
          > > with either cable
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPad
          > >
          > > On Mar 4, 2013, at 8:19 PM, Dexion dexion111@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Take 2 has it ever worked with that laptop and that adapter I have an XP
          > > machine that works fine with a serial cable but does not work the USB
          > > adapter
          > > >
          > > > Sent from my iPad

          > > NLG4 charger. All I have is USB ports so I bought this adapter
          > > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145403and downloaded the driver from the mfg website. I plug the cord in with the
          > > charger running and try monlog_e I get a message that says no com 1 found
          > > then it'll try again looking for com 2 but still nothing then it times out.

        • Russell Fauver
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
            Yep, up and running  :-)  thanks

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
              Also, make a note of which USB port the adapter is in.

              If you plug it into another USB port, it will go back to com 5 or 6.
              On Mar 5, 2013 7:23 AM, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Thanks! That fixed it. Vista had it set up on Com 5.
              >
              > Russell
              >
              > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf wrote:
              > >
              > > Plug in the USB to serial adapter.
              > >
              > > Go to device manager.
              > > Click advanced properties on the comm port.
              > >
              > > Change it to comm 1.
              > >
              > > Windows likes to default USB to serial adapters on comm 6 for some odd
              > > reason...
              > > On Mar 4, 2013 7:20 PM, "Dexion" wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > Same hardware and machine but with Windows 7 I couldn't get it to work
              > > > with either cable
              > > >
              > > > Sent from my iPad

              > an XP
              > > > machine that works fine with a serial cable but does not work the USB
              > > > adapter

              > the
              > > > NLG4 charger. All I have is USB ports so I bought this adapter
              > > >
              > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145403anddownloaded the driver from the mfg website. I plug the cord in with the
              > > > charger running and try monlog_e I get a message that says no com 1
              > found
              > > > then it'll try again looking for com 2 but still nothing then it times
              > out.

            • russell_fauver
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2013
                thanks for the heads up.