Re: [solectria_ev] AC Motor

  • Aaron Paluzzi
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi George,

      Just out of curiosity, what is the size of the part that is falling apart? Was it plastic or metal? Would it be something that you could model up and someone with a 3D printer could mach up for you out or ABS, Steel, or Aluminum?

      Just a thought
      Aaron

      On Mar 2, 2013, at 9:31 PM, "GeorgeB" <gbeckman@...> wrote:

      > Good Day Folks,
      >
      > We have a 91 Solectria car (prototype) and the AC motor is pretty much tearing itself apart. The brush carriers no longer have any integrity. I have replaced brushes twice and tried to rebuild the bakelite housing with JB Weld but this time it is gone.
      >
      > The motor has no markings. The car is 132 volt, nominal, and the motor is a four brush motor with a 5/8 single key shaft. Front face is a flat plate, 4 1/4 square. It has four mounting bolts on 4" centers. The motor is about 9" long and 4" in diameter. I don't know if this is at all standard. I have no idea of the amperage draw or the RPM.
      >
      > The AC pump is the standard Metro pump.
      >
      > Anybody know of a replacement motor source?
      >
      > Love our Solectria.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.

    • GeorgeB
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
        Aaron,

        I call it bakelite (I misspelled it before). It is a hard brittle plastic. It held the 4 brush carriers. THe brush plugs are bakelite and chipping badly. The last time I worked on it one brush was misaligned because the bakelite was crumbling away. This time all four brushes are ofset to the point one hit another brush wire and blew the fuse in the Air Conditioning controller.

        I tried JB weld to no avail. Perhaps if I could get it really cleaned up. THere is carbon and bakelite everywhere in the end case.