AC Motor

  • GeorgeB
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
      Good Day Folks,

      We have a 91 Solectria car (prototype) and the AC motor is pretty much tearing itself apart. The brush carriers no longer have any integrity. I have replaced brushes twice and tried to rebuild the bakelite housing with JB Weld but this time it is gone.

      The motor has no markings. The car is 132 volt, nominal, and the motor is a four brush motor with a 5/8 single key shaft. Front face is a flat plate, 4 1/4 square. It has four mounting bolts on 4" centers. The motor is about 9" long and 4" in diameter. I don't know if this is at all standard. I have no idea of the amperage draw or the RPM.

      The AC pump is the standard Metro pump.

      Anybody know of a replacement motor source?

      Love our Solectria.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Gerry Gaydos
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
        That doesn't sound like any standard Solectria car I've ever heard of, but who knows. The AC24 3 phase AC motor in the Force is more like 9" diameter X 13" long. Brushes? sounds like a DC motor. So (?)

        "Internal combustion is so last century"... Funkymoto�, Electrifying Cars! 250 598 3100

        To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
          I would assume that you are referring to the Air Conditioning motor.
          You might be able to replace it with a motor off a tread mill. Those
          are typically high voltage DC motors. Look on eBay for tread mill
          motors. I replaced mine with a motor that came from salvage.

          The one you have might be rebuildable if you have a decent motor shop
          available. Where are you located?

          On 3/2/2013 6:31 PM, GeorgeB wrote:

          > Good Day Folks,
          >
          > We have a 91 Solectria car (prototype) and the AC motor is pretty much
          > tearing itself apart. The brush carriers no longer have any integrity.
          > I have replaced brushes twice and tried to rebuild the bakelite
          > housing with JB Weld but this time it is gone.
          >
          > The motor has no markings. The car is 132 volt, nominal, and the motor
          > is a four brush motor with a 5/8 single key shaft. Front face is a
          > flat plate, 4 1/4 square. It has four mounting bolts on 4" centers.
          > The motor is about 9" long and 4" in diameter. I don't know if this is
          > at all standard. I have no idea of the amperage draw or the RPM.
          >
          > The AC pump is the standard Metro pump.
          >
          > Anybody know of a replacement motor source?
          >
          > Love our Solectria.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.

        • Gerry Gaydos
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
            Haha. Of course. A/C motor. LOL Got it.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On 2013-03-02, at 8:50 PM, "Charles Bliss" <cbliss@...> wrote:

            > I would assume that you are referring to the Air Conditioning motor.
            > You might be able to replace it with a motor off a tread mill. Those
            > are typically high voltage DC motors. Look on eBay for tread mill
            > motors. I replaced mine with a motor that came from salvage.
            >
            > The one you have might be rebuildable if you have a decent motor shop
            > available. Where are you located?
            >
            > On 3/2/2013 6:31 PM, GeorgeB wrote:
            > >
            > > Good Day Folks,
            > >
            > > We have a 91 Solectria car (prototype) and the AC motor is pretty much
            > > tearing itself apart. The brush carriers no longer have any integrity.
            > > I have replaced brushes twice and tried to rebuild the bakelite
            > > housing with JB Weld but this time it is gone.
            > >
            > > The motor has no markings. The car is 132 volt, nominal, and the motor
            > > is a four brush motor with a 5/8 single key shaft. Front face is a
            > > flat plate, 4 1/4 square. It has four mounting bolts on 4" centers.
            > > The motor is about 9" long and 4" in diameter. I don't know if this is
            > > at all standard. I have no idea of the amperage draw or the RPM.
            > >
            > > The AC pump is the standard Metro pump.
            > >
            > > Anybody know of a replacement motor source?
            > >
            > > Love our Solectria.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance.

          • Aaron Paluzzi
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
              Hi George,

              Just out of curiosity, what is the size of the part that is falling apart? Was it plastic or metal? Would it be something that you could model up and someone with a 3D printer could mach up for you out or ABS, Steel, or Aluminum?

              Just a thought
              Aaron

              On Mar 2, 2013, at 9:31 PM, "GeorgeB" <gbeckman@...> wrote:

              > Good Day Folks,
              >
              > We have a 91 Solectria car (prototype) and the AC motor is pretty much tearing itself apart. The brush carriers no longer have any integrity. I have replaced brushes twice and tried to rebuild the bakelite housing with JB Weld but this time it is gone.
              >
              > The motor has no markings. The car is 132 volt, nominal, and the motor is a four brush motor with a 5/8 single key shaft. Front face is a flat plate, 4 1/4 square. It has four mounting bolts on 4" centers. The motor is about 9" long and 4" in diameter. I don't know if this is at all standard. I have no idea of the amperage draw or the RPM.
              >
              > The AC pump is the standard Metro pump.
              >
              > Anybody know of a replacement motor source?
              >
              > Love our Solectria.
              >
              > Thanks in advance.

            • GeorgeB
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
                Aaron,

                I call it bakelite (I misspelled it before). It is a hard brittle plastic. It held the 4 brush carriers. THe brush plugs are bakelite and chipping badly. The last time I worked on it one brush was misaligned because the bakelite was crumbling away. This time all four brushes are ofset to the point one hit another brush wire and blew the fuse in the Air Conditioning controller.

                I tried JB weld to no avail. Perhaps if I could get it really cleaned up. THere is carbon and bakelite everywhere in the end case.