Re: [solectria_ev] Re: charger won't power up

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
      Glad you got it working, Russell. I hadn't checked the list in a few days and could have
      given you the story -- the NiCD version of the charger is set up to be parasitic -- it
      takes power from the pack to run its motherboard, because for the NiCD management to work
      properly, it has to constantly monitor the pack current draws, even when unplugged. For
      it to boot up, it requires some voltage threshold at the pack (not sure exactly how
      much). If the batteries are flat, it won't boot up, even if plugged in.

      I ran into this when I converted my Force to NiCD -- I ran the batteries down so I was
      sure to be at a good starting point for the initialization charge, but when I hooked up
      the charger it wouldn't boot up -- I had depleted them too much! In my case, after a
      short rest the voltage had bounced back enough and I got the charge started.

      -Tom

      --
      Thomas Hudson
      http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

    • geo_homsy2
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
        Yes, I've noticed that field, but I *think* it has always said "0".

        I will double-check next time this happens.

        Thanks for the f1 tip; I'll give that a shot.

        //Geo

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

        > On the Monlog program, when connected to the charger, the upper left hand
        > side of the screen shows the status/fault code:
        >
        > Status nlg4
        >
        > I think if you press F1 it has the definitions of the fault/status codes.
        >
        > You might have to move the cursor to the status number to get definitions.
        >
        > I don't have the program open while writing this...
        > On Feb 20, 2013 11:50 PM, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi all-
        > >
        > > I've also had some erratic problem with my NLG4 charger.
        > >
        > > Specifically, every couple of weeks or so, I will find the fault lamp lit
        > > or blinking. Won't charge.
        > >
        > > Power cycling the charger doesn't help.
        > >
        > > The only way I've found to reset it is to load up nlg_e and do a "clear
        > > working data". That fixes it.
        > >
        > > Does anyone have any idea how to dig deeper into what's going on? I sure
        > > wish I could see the fault code...
        > >
        > > Wolf? Anybody?
        > >
        > > Many thanks,
        > >
        > > //Geo

      • russell_fauver
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
          must take a very low voltage to get it started, I just barely had enough power to light the bulb in the trunk. But, it is working pretty good now. I'm up to a comfortable 10-12 miles per charge. Really have to drive gentle and try not to exceed 45 mph to get that kind of range. If I drive it like I stole it I get a good 6-7 miles.

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hudson <tdhudson@...> wrote:

          > Glad you got it working, Russell. I hadn't checked the list in a few days and could have
          > given you the story -- the NiCD version of the charger is set up to be parasitic -- it
          > takes power from the pack to run its motherboard, because for the NiCD management to work
          > properly, it has to constantly monitor the pack current draws, even when unplugged. For
          > it to boot up, it requires some voltage threshold at the pack (not sure exactly how
          > much). If the batteries are flat, it won't boot up, even if plugged in.
          >
          > I ran into this when I converted my Force to NiCD -- I ran the batteries down so I was
          > sure to be at a good starting point for the initialization charge, but when I hooked up
          > the charger it wouldn't boot up -- I had depleted them too much! In my case, after a
          > short rest the voltage had bounced back enough and I got the charge started.
          >
          > -Tom
          >
          > On 2/18/2013 8:27 PM, russell_fauver wrote:
          > >
          > > good news, it's working! Batteries were too low to let it start. I charged the batteries
          > > in pairs with a 12 volt charger just long enough to get wake them up. When I hooked
          > > everything back up the trunk light came on so I crossed my fingers and plugged in the
          > > charger. Seems to be charging just fine now.
          > >
          > > Russell
          > >

          > --
          > Thomas Hudson
          > http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power & More
          > http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

        • otedawg
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
            Speaking of the charger and the Monlog program, has anyone used the Monlog program to log to a file? I've tried a few times, but can't seem to make it work.

            Thanks,
            Josh

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@...> wrote:

            > Yes, I've noticed that field, but I *think* it has always said "0".
            >
            > I will double-check next time this happens.
            >
            > Thanks for the f1 tip; I'll give that a shot.
            >
            > //Geo
            >
            > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On the Monlog program, when connected to the charger, the upper left hand
            > > side of the screen shows the status/fault code:
            > >
            > > Status nlg4
            > >
            > > I think if you press F1 it has the definitions of the fault/status codes.
            > >
            > > You might have to move the cursor to the status number to get definitions.
            > >
            > > I don't have the program open while writing this...
            > > On Feb 20, 2013 11:50 PM, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > Hi all-
            > > >
            > > > I've also had some erratic problem with my NLG4 charger.
            > > >
            > > > Specifically, every couple of weeks or so, I will find the fault lamp lit
            > > > or blinking. Won't charge.
            > > >
            > > > Power cycling the charger doesn't help.
            > > >
            > > > The only way I've found to reset it is to load up nlg_e and do a "clear
            > > > working data". That fixes it.
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone have any idea how to dig deeper into what's going on? I sure
            > > > wish I could see the fault code...
            > > >
            > > > Wolf? Anybody?
            > > >
            > > > Many thanks,
            > > >
            > > > //Geo

          • Ken Olum
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
              I just attempted to do this and as far as I know it did not write any
              log file. I noticed in the help screen that it said that logging
              was part of the "advanced version" and I wondered whether I did not
              have this version.

              Ken
            • russell_fauver
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2013
                I've been working with these 14 year old batteries in the Force for a couple weeks now and I'm really surprised at how good they're doing. Seems like they're improving on almost a daily basis. The 8 mile drive to work is no problem even with the electric heater running and the radio on. :-)

                Russell