Re: charger won't power up

  • russell_fauver
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 18, 2013
      good news, it's working! Batteries were too low to let it start. I charged the batteries in pairs with a 12 volt charger just long enough to get wake them up. When I hooked everything back up the trunk light came on so I crossed my fingers and plugged in the charger. Seems to be charging just fine now.

      Russell

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

      > If the charger powers up, but does not charge, then connect a laptop to the
      > serial port and run the Monlog program:
      >
      > http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/monlog_e.exe
      >
      > It will tell you what is wrong... Most likely, the batteries are to cold to
      > charge...
      >
      > Just to note, it did work when it left here. ;)
      >
      > http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300_1771/index.htm
      >

      > On Feb 17, 2013 5:04 PM, <sbdeadelf@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Silly thought, but make sure the charger's cord is plugged into the car. I
      > > forget exactly how it goes, but there's a plug to plug interface there
      > > somewhere. You can also just plug the wall cord straight to the charger and
      > > bypass the normal plug in the gas cap area.
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPhone
      > >
      > > On Feb 17, 2013, at 1:31 PM, Ken Olum kdo@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I think you have some other problem. I'm not sure if the batteries
      > > > are completely discharged whether the charger will charge them, but my
      > > > recollection is that it will at least give you some fault light.
      > > >
      > > > Ken

    • geo_homsy2
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 20, 2013
        Hi all-

        I've also had some erratic problem with my NLG4 charger.

        Specifically, every couple of weeks or so, I will find the fault lamp lit or blinking. Won't charge.

        Power cycling the charger doesn't help.

        The only way I've found to reset it is to load up nlg_e and do a "clear working data". That fixes it.

        Does anyone have any idea how to dig deeper into what's going on? I sure wish I could see the fault code...

        Wolf? Anybody?

        Many thanks,

        //Geo
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
          On the Monlog program, when connected to the charger, the upper left hand
          side of the screen shows the status/fault code:

          Status nlg4

          I think if you press F1 it has the definitions of the fault/status codes.

          You might have to move the cursor to the status number to get definitions.

          I don't have the program open while writing this...
          On Feb 20, 2013 11:50 PM, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi all-
          >
          > I've also had some erratic problem with my NLG4 charger.
          >
          > Specifically, every couple of weeks or so, I will find the fault lamp lit
          > or blinking. Won't charge.
          >
          > Power cycling the charger doesn't help.
          >
          > The only way I've found to reset it is to load up nlg_e and do a "clear
          > working data". That fixes it.
          >
          > Does anyone have any idea how to dig deeper into what's going on? I sure
          > wish I could see the fault code...
          >
          > Wolf? Anybody?
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > //Geo

        • Tom Hudson
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
            Glad you got it working, Russell. I hadn't checked the list in a few days and could have
            given you the story -- the NiCD version of the charger is set up to be parasitic -- it
            takes power from the pack to run its motherboard, because for the NiCD management to work
            properly, it has to constantly monitor the pack current draws, even when unplugged. For
            it to boot up, it requires some voltage threshold at the pack (not sure exactly how
            much). If the batteries are flat, it won't boot up, even if plugged in.

            I ran into this when I converted my Force to NiCD -- I ran the batteries down so I was
            sure to be at a good starting point for the initialization charge, but when I hooked up
            the charger it wouldn't boot up -- I had depleted them too much! In my case, after a
            short rest the voltage had bounced back enough and I got the charge started.

            -Tom

            --
            Thomas Hudson
            http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

          • geo_homsy2
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2013
              Yes, I've noticed that field, but I *think* it has always said "0".

              I will double-check next time this happens.

              Thanks for the f1 tip; I'll give that a shot.

              //Geo

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

              > On the Monlog program, when connected to the charger, the upper left hand
              > side of the screen shows the status/fault code:
              >
              > Status nlg4
              >
              > I think if you press F1 it has the definitions of the fault/status codes.
              >
              > You might have to move the cursor to the status number to get definitions.
              >
              > I don't have the program open while writing this...
              > On Feb 20, 2013 11:50 PM, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi all-
              > >
              > > I've also had some erratic problem with my NLG4 charger.
              > >
              > > Specifically, every couple of weeks or so, I will find the fault lamp lit
              > > or blinking. Won't charge.
              > >
              > > Power cycling the charger doesn't help.
              > >
              > > The only way I've found to reset it is to load up nlg_e and do a "clear
              > > working data". That fixes it.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have any idea how to dig deeper into what's going on? I sure
              > > wish I could see the fault code...
              > >
              > > Wolf? Anybody?
              > >
              > > Many thanks,
              > >
              > > //Geo

            • russell_fauver
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2013
                must take a very low voltage to get it started, I just barely had enough power to light the bulb in the trunk. But, it is working pretty good now. I'm up to a comfortable 10-12 miles per charge. Really have to drive gentle and try not to exceed 45 mph to get that kind of range. If I drive it like I stole it I get a good 6-7 miles.

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hudson <tdhudson@...> wrote:

                > Glad you got it working, Russell. I hadn't checked the list in a few days and could have
                > given you the story -- the NiCD version of the charger is set up to be parasitic -- it
                > takes power from the pack to run its motherboard, because for the NiCD management to work
                > properly, it has to constantly monitor the pack current draws, even when unplugged. For
                > it to boot up, it requires some voltage threshold at the pack (not sure exactly how
                > much). If the batteries are flat, it won't boot up, even if plugged in.
                >
                > I ran into this when I converted my Force to NiCD -- I ran the batteries down so I was
                > sure to be at a good starting point for the initialization charge, but when I hooked up
                > the charger it wouldn't boot up -- I had depleted them too much! In my case, after a
                > short rest the voltage had bounced back enough and I got the charge started.
                >
                > -Tom
                >
                > On 2/18/2013 8:27 PM, russell_fauver wrote:
                > >
                > > good news, it's working! Batteries were too low to let it start. I charged the batteries
                > > in pairs with a 12 volt charger just long enough to get wake them up. When I hooked
                > > everything back up the trunk light came on so I crossed my fingers and plugged in the
                > > charger. Seems to be charging just fine now.
                > >
                > > Russell
                > >

                > --
                > Thomas Hudson
                > http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power & More
                > http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

              • otedawg
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                  Speaking of the charger and the Monlog program, has anyone used the Monlog program to log to a file? I've tried a few times, but can't seem to make it work.

                  Thanks,
                  Josh

                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, I've noticed that field, but I *think* it has always said "0".
                  >
                  > I will double-check next time this happens.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the f1 tip; I'll give that a shot.
                  >
                  > //Geo
                  >
                  > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolf@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On the Monlog program, when connected to the charger, the upper left hand
                  > > side of the screen shows the status/fault code:
                  > >
                  > > Status nlg4
                  > >
                  > > I think if you press F1 it has the definitions of the fault/status codes.
                  > >
                  > > You might have to move the cursor to the status number to get definitions.
                  > >
                  > > I don't have the program open while writing this...
                  > > On Feb 20, 2013 11:50 PM, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > Hi all-
                  > > >
                  > > > I've also had some erratic problem with my NLG4 charger.
                  > > >
                  > > > Specifically, every couple of weeks or so, I will find the fault lamp lit
                  > > > or blinking. Won't charge.
                  > > >
                  > > > Power cycling the charger doesn't help.
                  > > >
                  > > > The only way I've found to reset it is to load up nlg_e and do a "clear
                  > > > working data". That fixes it.
                  > > >
                  > > > Does anyone have any idea how to dig deeper into what's going on? I sure
                  > > > wish I could see the fault code...
                  > > >
                  > > > Wolf? Anybody?
                  > > >
                  > > > Many thanks,
                  > > >
                  > > > //Geo

                • Ken Olum
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                    I just attempted to do this and as far as I know it did not write any
                    log file. I noticed in the help screen that it said that logging
                    was part of the "advanced version" and I wondered whether I did not
                    have this version.

                    Ken
                  • russell_fauver
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2013
                      I've been working with these 14 year old batteries in the Force for a couple weeks now and I'm really surprised at how good they're doing. Seems like they're improving on almost a daily basis. The 8 mile drive to work is no problem even with the electric heater running and the radio on. :-)

                      Russell