Current Draw at Different Speeds

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 13, 2013
      I'm looking for some info on current draw for a Force.
      How many amps does a Force draw driving on level ground, steady speed at 35 mph, 50 mph and 60 mph and specify the voltage you are running.
      Thanks,
      Michael Conn
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 14, 2013
        For my '97 Force with 156 volt East Penn 8G27 lead acid batteries, a rough rule of thumb is 1 amp per mph at steady speed, level, no wind on good pavement. Thus 35 A @ 35 mph, 50 A @ 50 mph, 60 A @ 60 mph, etc.

        If you do the math that is equivalent to 1 amp*hour per mile. In reality I rarely get better than 1.2 A*H/mile overall average for a trip.

        You may want to increase the estimate accordingly to your experience. This is consistant with assuming that the road load is all rolling friction resistance, no aerodynamic drag, which is a reasonablly good assumption for urban driving. The aero drag component of current (proportional to force, torque) increases as the square of the speed and becomes dominant at high speeds, but won't have much effect below 50 mph.

        Bob Strattan
        Tulsa, OK

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" wrote:

        > I'm looking for some info on current draw for a Force.
        > How many amps does a Force draw driving on level ground, steady speed at 35 mph, 50 mph and 60 mph and specify the voltage you are running.
        > Thanks,
        > Michael Conn

      • otedawg
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 25, 2013
          I just did a drive yesterday in my 96 Force with 156V 100AH CALB Lithiums - pushed it to (the BMS's) limit, drove 49.8Mi, average speed 40 mph, used 73.27 Ah (counter on the dash), and got 1.47 Ah/Mile.

          My Force does have an AC24 and DMOC445 in it.

          0-60: 12sec
          Cruise: 54 Mph (above that, and vibrations get loud)
          Top Speed: 74 Mph (Top Speed I've had it to - From my math, that's theoretical as well 13,000RPM)

          Thanks,
          Otedawg

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <r.strattan@...> wrote:

          > For my '97 Force with 156 volt East Penn 8G27 lead acid batteries, a rough rule of thumb is 1 amp per mph at steady speed, level, no wind on good pavement. Thus 35 A @ 35 mph, 50 A @ 50 mph, 60 A @ 60 mph, etc.
          >
          > If you do the math that is equivalent to 1 amp*hour per mile. In reality I rarely get better than 1.2 A*H/mile overall average for a trip.
          >
          > You may want to increase the estimate accordingly to your experience. This is consistant with assuming that the road load is all rolling friction resistance, no aerodynamic drag, which is a reasonablly good assumption for urban driving. The aero drag component of current (proportional to force, torque) increases as the square of the speed and becomes dominant at high speeds, but won't have much effect below 50 mph.
          >
          > Bob Strattan
          > Tulsa, OK
          >
          > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm looking for some info on current draw for a Force.
          > > How many amps does a Force draw driving on level ground, steady speed at 35 mph, 50 mph and 60 mph and specify the voltage you are running.
          > > Thanks,
          > > Michael Conn

        • theoldcars
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 25, 2013
            By any chance did you leave lead in the front box?

            Your Ah per mile seems very high

            Don Blazer

            In a message dated 2/25/2013 11:03:17 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            joshua.orfield@... writes:

            I just did a drive yesterday in my 96 Force with 156V 100AH CALB Lithiums
            - pushed it to (the BMS's) limit, drove 49.8Mi, average speed 40 mph, used
            73.27 Ah (counter on the dash), and got 1.47 Ah/Mile.

            My Force does have an AC24 and DMOC445 in it.

            0-60: 12sec
            Cruise: 54 Mph (above that, and vibrations get loud)
            Top Speed: 74 Mph (Top Speed I've had it to - From my math, that's
            theoretical as well 13,000RPM)

            Thanks,
            Otedawg

          • Doug Brentlinger
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 25, 2013
              Some people have a lead foot!

              doug
              510-304-5001

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 26, 2013
                I did drive the first 15ish miles with a lead foot, heat on high, going about 65-70. (Left late-er for church) Then the rest of the drive was a max speed of 55 up and down hills.

                Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I do wonder if it's normal to hear what sounds like gears decelerating when I let off the pedal to coast. It's about the same at all speeds, and about a 1hz slowly fading scrape-ish sound coming from under the hood. I know my brakes are fine (100% new 3 mo ago)...

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Brentlinger <dougb120@...> wrote:

                > Some people have a lead foot!
                >
                > doug
                > 510-304-5001
                >

                > ________________________________

              • otedawg
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 26, 2013
                  Oh - and no lead in the front now. 26 Calbs up front, 25 in the back.

                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "otedawg" <joshua.orfield@...> wrote:

                  > I did drive the first 15ish miles with a lead foot, heat on high, going about 65-70. (Left late-er for church) Then the rest of the drive was a max speed of 55 up and down hills.
                  >
                  > Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I do wonder if it's normal to hear what sounds like gears decelerating when I let off the pedal to coast. It's about the same at all speeds, and about a 1hz slowly fading scrape-ish sound coming from under the hood. I know my brakes are fine (100% new 3 mo ago)...
                  >
                  > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Brentlinger <dougb120@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Some people have a lead foot!
                  > >
                  > > doug
                  > > 510-304-5001
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • theoldcars
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 26, 2013
                    Okay that explains it. Heat on, 65 to 70 miles an hour, then hills as
                    well. These types of uses really increase your load and amp hours out of the
                    pack. Great that you have LiFePo4 that has the ability to do so. Considering
                    an ICE would be costing a lot more for speed and hills. The only advantage
                    to an ICE is the waste heat that you can use in the winter. Even with
                    heater on its nice to know that an electric is still the best energy to power a
                    vehicle.

                    Just curious anyone know what amp load of the electric heater?

                    Don Blazer

                    first 15ish miles with a lead foot, heat on high, going about 65-70. (Left
                    late-er for church) Then the rest of the drive was a max speed of 55 up and
                    down hills

                    --- In _solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com)
                    , Doug Brentlinger wrote:

                    > Some people have a lead foot!
                    >
                    > doug
                    > 510-304-5001
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • otedawg
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 26, 2013
                      Based on some offhand calculations, the heater is somewhere around 12Ah ish (ammeter ticks 0.01Ah every 2-3 seconds or so). I'd say somewhere around a 2000Wh heater is installed.

                      Thanks,
                      Josh

                      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, theoldcars@... wrote:

                      > Okay that explains it. Heat on, 65 to 70 miles an hour, then hills as
                      > well. These types of uses really increase your load and amp hours out of the
                      > pack. Great that you have LiFePo4 that has the ability to do so. Considering
                      > an ICE would be costing a lot more for speed and hills. The only advantage
                      > to an ICE is the waste heat that you can use in the winter. Even with
                      > heater on its nice to know that an electric is still the best energy to power a
                      > vehicle.
                      >
                      > Just curious anyone know what amp load of the electric heater?
                      >
                      > Don Blazer
                      >

                      > first 15ish miles with a lead foot, heat on high, going about 65-70. (Left
                      > late-er for church) Then the rest of the drive was a max speed of 55 up and
                      > down hills
                      >

                      > In a message dated 2/26/2013 9:33:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      > joshua.orfield@... writes:
                      >

                      > I did drive the first 15ish miles with a lead foot, heat on high, going
                      > about 65-70. (Left late-er for church) Then the rest of the drive was a max
                      > speed of 55 up and down hills.
                      >
                      > Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I do wonder if it's normal to
                      > hear what sounds like gears decelerating when I let off the pedal to coast.
                      > It's about the same at all speeds, and about a 1hz slowly fading scrape-ish
                      > sound coming from under the hood. I know my brakes are fine (100% new 3 mo
                      > ago)...
                      >
                      > --- In _solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com)
                      > , Doug Brentlinger wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Some people have a lead foot!
                      > >
                      > > doug
                      > > 510-304-5001
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • Gordon Stallings
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 26, 2013
                        I just measured what I think is the heater circuit using a clamp-on
                        hall-effect meter. (Current flows in the green & white wires only
                        when the red light in the heater switch is on.) When first turned on,
                        the inrush current is about 12A but it quickly stabilizes at 8A when
                        the element warms up. This is using full pack voltage. So watts are
                        about 180V * 8A = 1440W.

                        I've never found it for sure, but there may be a thermal switch on the
                        heater to prevent overheating. There are four wires going to the
                        heater box. The two orange ones may be the thermostat that makes the
                        heater relay drop out. (I've never traced out the entire 12V wiring
                        under the dash.)

                        --Gordon Stallings--

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 26, 2013
                          It's a ptc so by its nature it stops itself from overheating. I draw about 8amps after it warms up at 170volts.

                          Sent from my iPad

                        • Doug Brentlinger
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 27, 2013
                            What is a ptc?

                            doug
                            510-304-5001

                            ________________________________
> [...]

                            > >> late-er for church) Then the rest of the drive was a max speed of
                            > >> 55 up and
                            > >> down hills
                            > >>

                            > >> In a message dated 2/26/2013 9:33:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                            > >> joshua.orfield@... writes:
                            > >>

                            > >> I did drive the first 15ish miles with a lead foot, heat on high,
                            > >> going
                            > >> about 65-70. (Left late-er for church) Then the rest of the drive
                            > >> was a max
                            > >> speed of 55 up and down hills.
                            > >>
                            > >> Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I do wonder if it's
                            > >> normal to
                            > >> hear what sounds like gears decelerating when I let off the pedal
                            > >> to coast.
                            > >> It's about the same at all speeds, and about a 1hz slowly fading
                            > >> scrape-ish
                            > >> sound coming from under the hood. I know my brakes are fine (100%

                          • Dexion
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 27, 2013
                              Oh sorry positive temperature coefficient the hotter it gets the less it draws.

                              Sent from my iPad

                            • Doug Brentlinger
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 27, 2013
                                Thank you for replying, I've never heard of this. (lots of things I haven't
                                heard of.)

                                My Think has a resistive heater, do you think it is also ptc?
                                doug
                                510-304-5001

                                ________________________________
                                Oh sorry positive temperature coefficient the hotter it gets the less it draws.

                                Sent from my iPad

                                On Feb 27, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Doug Brentlinger dougb120@...> wrote:

                                > What is a ptc?
                                >
                                > doug
                                > 510-304-5001
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • Dexion
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 27, 2013
                                  Yes I have a think as well the new heater AFTER the heater upgrade is ptc heater drawing 4000 watts at 360 volts. The heater before hand was a water heater type but those failed quickly hence the recall.
                                  Sent from my iPad

                                • geo_homsy2
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 4, 2013
                                    Hi Otedawg-

                                    since you seem to be one of the few besides myself who still believes in BMS's...

                                    How do you prevent the DC-DC converter from over-discharging your pack? I have no such protection. I've wired the discharge-ok signal from my eLithion to the drive-disable input on the solectria ignition box, so the drive will cut out if there are any low cells in the pack.

                                    My fear is, of course, doing something like leaving the headlights on and leaving for a one week vacation, or something stupid like that.

                                    //Geo

                                    --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "otedawg" <joshua.orfield@...> wrote:

                                    > I just did a drive yesterday in my 96 Force with 156V 100AH CALB Lithiums - pushed it to (the BMS's) limit, drove 49.8Mi, average speed 40 mph, used 73.27 Ah (counter on the dash), and got 1.47 Ah/Mile.
                                    >
                                    > My Force does have an AC24 and DMOC445 in it.
                                    >
                                    > 0-60: 12sec
                                    > Cruise: 54 Mph (above that, and vibrations get loud)
                                    > Top Speed: 74 Mph (Top Speed I've had it to - From my math, that's theoretical as well 13,000RPM)
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Otedawg
                                    >
                                    > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <r.strattan@> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > For my '97 Force with 156 volt East Penn 8G27 lead acid batteries, a rough rule of thumb is 1 amp per mph at steady speed, level, no wind on good pavement. Thus 35 A @ 35 mph, 50 A @ 50 mph, 60 A @ 60 mph, etc.
                                    > >
                                    > > If you do the math that is equivalent to 1 amp*hour per mile. In reality I rarely get better than 1.2 A*H/mile overall average for a trip.
                                    > >
                                    > > You may want to increase the estimate accordingly to your experience. This is consistant with assuming that the road load is all rolling friction resistance, no aerodynamic drag, which is a reasonablly good assumption for urban driving. The aero drag component of current (proportional to force, torque) increases as the square of the speed and becomes dominant at high speeds, but won't have much effect below 50 mph.
                                    > >
                                    > > Bob Strattan
                                    > > Tulsa, OK
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I'm looking for some info on current draw for a Force.
                                    > > > How many amps does a Force draw driving on level ground, steady speed at 35 mph, 50 mph and 60 mph and specify the voltage you are running.
                                    > > > Thanks,
                                    > > > Michael Conn

                                  • otedawg
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 15, 2013
                                      Geo,
                                      I'm not sure how I missed this...
                                      Right now, I don't have anything that keeps my pack from over-discharging, at all. I've got a cleanpower miniBMS installed, and I'm still kicking myself for not installing an eLithion instead. I'd love to get the individual cell voltages out of my pack.

                                      My BMS is only for monitoring. I'd like to know if one cell decides to go bad or if I'm lowering the voltage below the BMS defined minimum.

                                      I don't see much of a way to do what you're thinking of unless you're prepared to part with a few (4ish) watts per hour...

                                      My original thought would be a NO relay feeding a HV contactor tied into the input of the DCDC, with the control signal coming from the eLithion's Low Battery Line. (really, the relay isn't needed, but I take you to be more paranoid than me. :P)

                                      BUT, there's a simpler way that doesn't waste as much power.

                                      Just simply tying a HV Solid state relay would accomplish your purpose. You could use the same Low Battery Line to drive the relay. Something like this would be perfect.
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/D2D12/CC1041-ND/139556

                                      I may do this once I upgrade to a eLithion.

                                      Josh

                                      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Otedawg-
                                      >
                                      > since you seem to be one of the few besides myself who still believes in BMS's...
                                      >
                                      > How do you prevent the DC-DC converter from over-discharging your pack? I have no such protection. I've wired the discharge-ok signal from my eLithion to the drive-disable input on the solectria ignition box, so the drive will cut out if there are any low cells in the pack.
                                      >
                                      > My fear is, of course, doing something like leaving the headlights on and leaving for a one week vacation, or something stupid like that.
                                      >
                                      > //Geo
                                      >

                                      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "otedawg" <joshua.orfield@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I just did a drive yesterday in my 96 Force with 156V 100AH CALB Lithiums - pushed it to (the BMS's) limit, drove 49.8Mi, average speed 40 mph, used 73.27 Ah (counter on the dash), and got 1.47 Ah/Mile.
                                      > >
                                      > > My Force does have an AC24 and DMOC445 in it.
                                      > >
                                      > > 0-60: 12sec
                                      > > Cruise: 54 Mph (above that, and vibrations get loud)
                                      > > Top Speed: 74 Mph (Top Speed I've had it to - From my math, that's theoretical as well 13,000RPM)
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > > Otedawg
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <r.strattan@> wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > For my '97 Force with 156 volt East Penn 8G27 lead acid batteries, a rough rule of thumb is 1 amp per mph at steady speed, level, no wind on good pavement. Thus 35 A @ 35 mph, 50 A @ 50 mph, 60 A @ 60 mph, etc.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > If you do the math that is equivalent to 1 amp*hour per mile. In reality I rarely get better than 1.2 A*H/mile overall average for a trip.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > You may want to increase the estimate accordingly to your experience. This is consistant with assuming that the road load is all rolling friction resistance, no aerodynamic drag, which is a reasonablly good assumption for urban driving. The aero drag component of current (proportional to force, torque) increases as the square of the speed and becomes dominant at high speeds, but won't have much effect below 50 mph.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Bob Strattan
                                      > > > Tulsa, OK

                                    • geo_homsy2
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                                        Hi Josh-

                                        your proposal, sadly, won't work. I wish it would. The traction pack supplies the DC-DC, which supplies the ignition switch, which supplies the BMS, which asserts the "charge OK" and/or "discharge OK" signals.

                                        If one tries to use the BMS to cut off the HV input to the DC-DC, then once you turn off the ignition, the BMS is no longer powered, hence the DC-DC is no longer powered, hence no more power to the ignition switch, hence you can never switch the car on again.

                                        One common method is to have a small additional 12 volt cell, for activating the BMS initially. I've been trying to avoid this.

                                        Still lookin'... :)

                                        And yeah, I'm paranoid. Don't want to zorch 7000 bucks worth of batteries by leaving my headlights on. This is a high-stakes game...

                                        //Geo

                                        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "otedawg" <joshua.orfield@...> wrote:

                                        > Geo,
                                        > I'm not sure how I missed this...
                                        > Right now, I don't have anything that keeps my pack from over-discharging, at all. I've got a cleanpower miniBMS installed, and I'm still kicking myself for not installing an eLithion instead. I'd love to get the individual cell voltages out of my pack.
                                        >
                                        > My BMS is only for monitoring. I'd like to know if one cell decides to go bad or if I'm lowering the voltage below the BMS defined minimum.
                                        >
                                        > I don't see much of a way to do what you're thinking of unless you're prepared to part with a few (4ish) watts per hour...
                                        >
                                        > My original thought would be a NO relay feeding a HV contactor tied into the input of the DCDC, with the control signal coming from the eLithion's Low Battery Line. (really, the relay isn't needed, but I take you to be more paranoid than me. :P)
                                        >
                                        > BUT, there's a simpler way that doesn't waste as much power.
                                        >
                                        > Just simply tying a HV Solid state relay would accomplish your purpose. You could use the same Low Battery Line to drive the relay. Something like this would be perfect.
                                        > http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/D2D12/CC1041-ND/139556
                                        >
                                        > I may do this once I upgrade to a eLithion.
                                        >
                                        > Josh
                                        >

                                        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "geo_homsy2" <geo.homsy@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hi Otedawg-
                                        > >
                                        > > since you seem to be one of the few besides myself who still believes in BMS's...
                                        > >
                                        > > How do you prevent the DC-DC converter from over-discharging your pack? I have no such protection. I've wired the discharge-ok signal from my eLithion to the drive-disable input on the solectria ignition box, so the drive will cut out if there are any low cells in the pack.
                                        > >
                                        > > My fear is, of course, doing something like leaving the headlights on and leaving for a one week vacation, or something stupid like that.
                                        > >
                                        > > //Geo
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "otedawg" <joshua.orfield@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I just did a drive yesterday in my 96 Force with 156V 100AH CALB Lithiums - pushed it to (the BMS's) limit, drove 49.8Mi, average speed 40 mph, used 73.27 Ah (counter on the dash), and got 1.47 Ah/Mile.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > My Force does have an AC24 and DMOC445 in it.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > 0-60: 12sec
                                        > > > Cruise: 54 Mph (above that, and vibrations get loud)
                                        > > > Top Speed: 74 Mph (Top Speed I've had it to - From my math, that's theoretical as well 13,000RPM)
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Thanks,
                                        > > > Otedawg

                                      • otedawg
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 29, 2013
                                          Geo,
                                          I was assuming that you would be plugged into the wall, which I now see isn't a good assumption. The Elithion does supply 12V...

                                          It seems like this would have to be done at the controller or the BMS level. Somehow closing a switch based on the SOC of the HV pack should be possible.

                                          Now that I think about it, if you wanted to spend more cash you could do it - just add another DC-DC, an arduino /uC with a relay shield, some sort of opto-isolated HV probe for the arduino, and the solid state switch.

                                          Again, I would think that this should be done at the BMS level.

                                          This way you could disable the input to the main DC-DC based on a voltage level of the HV pack.

                                          I'd just say don't leave the headlights on. :P

                                        • janzicek
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 24

                                            Hello all, I know this is an old thread... but I just saw it the other day when someone else posted something on it.  About a year ago I put half of a volt pack in my solectria (running 200V at top of charge).  I too used the elithion BMS and wanted a separation of the traction and DC/DC converter power.  So I built a simple analog UVLO circuit to put inline with the DC/DC converter HV feed.  See attached photos.  If anyone is interested I can share the schematic etc...   The circuit works great, I have put quite a few miles on it and luckily I have never activated the UVLO, but I did test it to make sure it's effective.

                                            In the photos see album titled "UVLO circuit...." it is potted in SilGuard because it is installed underhood.  The scope plot shows input v and output v.  Output is the one that cuts in and cuts out based on input voltage.  It also has some hysteresis to prevent oscillation.  The circuit is installed in the positive power line of the DC/DC input.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Josh

                                          • paul dove
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 24
                                              yes, I would like to see the schematic if you can find it.

                                              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, <josh@...> wrote:

                                              > Hello all, I know this is an old thread... but I just saw it the other day when someone else posted something on it. About a year ago I put half of a volt pack in my solectria (running 200V at top of charge). I too used the elithion BMS and wanted a separation of the traction and DC/DC converter power. So I built a simple analog UVLO circuit to put inline with the DC/DC converter HV feed. See attached photos. If anyone is interested I can share the schematic etc... The circuit works great, I have put quite a few miles on it and luckily I have never activated the UVLO, but I did test it to make sure it's effective.
                                              >

                                              > In the photos see album titled "UVLO circuit...." it is potted in SilGuard because it is installed underhood. The scope plot shows input v and output v. Output is the one that cuts in and cuts out based on input voltage. It also has some hysteresis to prevent oscillation. The circuit is installed in the positive power line of the DC/DC input.
                                              >

                                              > Cheers,
                                              > Josh

                                            • janzicek
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 24

                                                I have added the schematic and a simulation result to the photos folder.  Please review and ask any questions that come to mind.

                                                Cheers,

                                                Josh