Re: How to sell a good car?

  • Raymond
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
      Thank you, Jay. Your response was very helpful to me. I am assembling
      a package with all the useful information that I can think of, including
      a recent picture, and I'll look into E-Bay Motors, as you suggest.Ray
      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Jay Grossman wrote:

      > Raymond:
      > Recently (November) I sold my 1995 Solectria Force on E-Bay motors. It
      was an easy transaction and I was fortunate to find a great buyer. I
      just followed the e-bay format posted pictures created a good
      description of the vehicle and for a small fee was rewarded with a sale
      price very close to my buy it now price.
      > Sites such as ev trader have listings for the Solectria Force. Knowing
      the market will aid in establishing a fair price and justifying your
      pricing decision.
      > The most asked questions in response to my e-bay listing were:
      > Why are you selling the car?
      > What is the range?
      > What is the cost of battery replacement?
      > Be prepared to respond to these and other questions promptly.
      > I had faith in the system and I believe that a fair deal was struck
      between a willing buyer and willing seller.
      > Jay H Grossman
      > Now a Volt owner

      offered. My '98 Solectria Force is almost factory-fresh, even after
      45,000 miles and fifteen years of regular, but light, use. Changes made
      include two battery replacements, one charger replacement, new tires and
      brake fluid, transmission oil changes, a couple of relays controlling
      the booster brake vacuum pump, and a spark suppressor on the contacts of
      that relay. That's it. Battery replacements, and the charger, matched
      the original in every detail -- except that the replacement charger runs
      cooler -- and were done professionally, not by me. The car runs as it
      did the day I got it, excepting only that these batteries are four years
      old and showing signs of weariness coming up the hill to home base. I
      suspect the range is down to about 30 miles.

      > So what's the problem? Age! I'm 91 years old, and we are about to cut
      back our driving to one car, and that will have to be the Prius. The
      Solectria will soon be offered for sale. Should I sell it as is? Should
      I convert it to Lithium and then sell it to a buyer who doesn't want to
      make the required decisions? Now that cars like the Nissan Leaf are
      available, is there a market for a Solectria that has been cared for and
      is in prime condition?

      > Those cars that I read about here in this forum appear to have myriad
      problems the like of which I've not experienced. Does this scare off
      potential buyers?

      > What do you-all think? What would you do in my position?
      > Ray (in Santa Rosa, CA)

    • Jay Grossman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2013
        Pictures are a key I posted 14 and they asked for more. 6 exterior views 3 front engine compartment 2 trunk and 3 or 4 interior. Digital pictures cost very little and they help sell because the prospective buyer has little to base his decision upon.

        Bidders want to get an idea about the vehicle condition and the amount of wear and tear

        Use them to your advantage to display the best features of your Force.
        Jay h Grossman