RE: [solectria_ev] AH meter controller box

  • Will Beckett (gmail)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
      I took a careful look today just to be sure, there are no indication of
      burning near the trace that is the power pack voltage as it comes into the
      board. I do see burning at the connection of the IRF 720 which is either a
      large transistor or maybe a bridge rectifier near the fuse. I have a
      picture I can send if anyone needs to see it.

      - Will
      Aptos, California

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
        Sometimes you can not see the conductive traces, that you want to "open
        circuit" Use a brush, and go over the array of solder joints, through which
        a component attaches, or a connector.

        --
        Thanks, Bill S
        Ph 832-338-3080

      • David Patterson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
          Will:
          I had back engineered part of the AH control board several years ago, cannot find my notes now, but will continue to look. If I remember correctly, the IRF720 is the pass device in a very sophisticated multi-stage regulator and filter for the transient sensitive CMOS IC's used in the circuit. The meter circuitry only draws about 1 ma of current at very well regulated 5 volts. It is derived, not from the 12 DC to DC convertor buss, which might have been better, but is regulated down from the full, raw, battery voltage with all of the high voltage noise and regen voltage variations, etc.

          In the area of the large transistor is also a very low (idle) current regulator (IC) for the final 5 volts regulation, which follows a pre-regulator stage with a simple series pass type of regulator (IRF 720 ). A simple zenor diode controls the IRF 720 output voltage to the final regulator (double stage regulator with filtering).

          The SOIC processing IC's are very difficult to remove but are available. If the regulator failed, the CMOS IC's are probably gone. A knowledgeable technician can "probe" carefully the regulator area and determine if the +5 volt bus leaving that area is good. I believe there were several traces radiating from that area to different parts of the board, with minor isolation between.

          The meters are not easy to repair if the problem is not the "normal" input voltage circuit "arc-over" described, as noted.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
            I've recently done a fair bit of reverse engineering on it. I could possible help you troubleshoot.

            //Geo
            415 571 9933