State of the art

  • Raymond
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
      It was about a year ago, or a bit longer, that there appeared here a short series of contributions, "Reflections on a Lithium Conversion". Most of the material gave a summary of the current "State of the Art" concerning Lithium batteries. The discussion was very helpful to me, even though my Pba batteries were fairly new at the time. They are not now, and I've got to face major decisions. l wonder if those who contributed to the overview last time would be willing to do so again. Lithium experience, and related new developments during the past year justify a review of where we stand today.

      Ray, in Santa Rosa, CA
    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
        Since you are in Santa Rosa, you have more options given that it doesn't
        get super cold there. 100ah Thunder Sky (now Sino-Poy) fit in the
        existing battery boxes with room to spare. The CALB batteries are the
        same size and will run at lower temperatures than the Sino-Poly.

        With a little modification you can fit in the 160ah form factor (now
        200ah). You will want to budget for a BMS. Without a good one, you are
        simply putting your Lithium battery investment at risk.

        If money is no object, you might consider EnerDel. I wish I could
        afford to put a set of them in one of my cars.

        For future reference, the [black] SIno-Poly batteries are slightly
        larger dimensionally than the [yellow] Thundersky of the same rating. I
        am guessing that when they retooled, they ground a little out of the
        molds to clean them up. That would make the molded batteries slightly
        larger. It is like 1mm.