Re: Lithium Batteries Needed

  • james
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
      Russell:

      I am considering doing the same to a 95 Force. Do you want to get together sometime and discuss our specifics and possibly logistics?

      Jim Donovan
      Westwood, KS
      913.660.4815
      donovan66205@...

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver" <russell_fauver@...> wrote:

      > Howdy, new guy here, just bought a '99 Force with the original Nicd batteries in it. I'd like to switch it to Lithium and was wondering if you guys knew where to get the best prices. 60ah would prolly be fine but I'd really like to get 100ah if I can find 'em at a price that won't break the bank.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Russell

    • Gordon Stallings
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
        Jim,
        I am in the same boat. The '96 Force that I bought from Don Buckshot
        is down to a range of about 20 miles and I'd like to give it a lithium
        upgrade. It's been our completely reliable daily runabout.

        I'm just 4 hours away from you, so will try to get to the next MAEAA
        meeting to discuss.

        Gordon Stallings
        Bartlesville, OK

        On Jan 2, 2013, at 9:14 AM, james wrote:

        > Russell:
        >
        > I am considering doing the same to a 95 Force. Do you want to get
        > together sometime and discuss our specifics and possibly logistics?
        >
        > Jim Donovan
        > Westwood, KS
        > 913.660.4815
        > donovan66205@...
        >

        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "russell_fauver"
        > <russell_fauver@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Howdy, new guy here, just bought a '99 Force with the original Nicd
        >> batteries in it. I'd like to switch it to Lithium and was wondering
        >> if you guys knew where to get the best prices. 60ah would prolly be
        >> fine but I'd really like to get 100ah if I can find 'em at a price
        >> that won't break the bank.
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> Russell

      • Russell Fauver
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
          Hi, I'm talking with Don Blazer about some Calbs. He can get them for a pretty good price but I'm torn between the 60ah and the 100's.  I really liked the 70ah ones, they would certainly do what I need but Don says they don't sell the 70's in the US  ??  Oh, well...

          Russell

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
            Go with the 100's. That way you won't regret having the shorter range.

            On 1/2/2013 2:22 PM, Russell Fauver wrote:

            > Hi, I'm talking with Don Blazer about some Calbs. He can get them for
            > a pretty good price but I'm torn between the 60ah and the 100's. I
            > really liked the 70ah ones, they would certainly do what I need but
            > Don says they don't sell the 70's in the US ?? Oh, well...
            >
            > Russell

          • Sean K
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
              If you've got the cash to spend I'd go with the 100s, but keep in mind you'll still need some money for BMS and charger.

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Russell Fauver wrote:

              > Hi, I'm talking with Don Blazer about some Calbs. He can get them for a pretty good price but I'm torn between the 60ah and the 100's.  I really liked the 70ah ones, they would certainly do what I need but Don says they don't sell the 70's in the US  ??  Oh, well...
              >
              > Russell
              >

              > ________________________________

            • kevin lubot
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                Just in case you dont know about them balqon has the yellow ones thundersky/winston/whatevertheywanttocallthem now

                Here is a link to the 90's  http://www.balqon.com/store.php#!/~/product/category=2736708&id=11924713

                I worked with someone named Jennifer there and got 8 for testing to replace my cruddy 100 amp hi power cells that are failing (60amp cap left on some some are fine at 100) after 3 years and 50000 miles(i do a few at a time eventually they will all be gone yeah!)

                I did a discharge test to 80% and got about 82 amps out of them (meaning they are all around 100 amps to full discharge but why bother going to full) i paid $95 a cell for them and a few bucks for interconnects and bolts. Shipping was a bit rough at about $9 a cell so total was about $108 shipped per cell in a small lot of 8. Im sure they would do better (shipping especially) with 50 cells.

                Once they shipped i had them in 4 days.

                ________________________________
                Go with the 100's. That way you won't regret having the shorter range.

                On 1/2/2013 2:22 PM, Russell Fauver wrote:

                > Hi, I'm talking with Don Blazer about some Calbs. He can get them for
                > a pretty good price but I'm torn between the 60ah and the 100's. I
                > really liked the 70ah ones, they would certainly do what I need but
                > Don says they don't sell the 70's in the US ?? Oh, well...
                >
                > Russell

              • Wade Perry
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                  Yes. If the money doesn't really matter so much, I'd agree with going for
                  the 100s. More range is better than less. Although more weight in
                  batteries means for less brisk acceleration, but I don't think this is a
                  big factor, especially since we've chosen to drive these cars. Geo metros
                  are not particularly performance-oriented!
                  You can save some $2,500 by going with the 60s. It was the money that
                  forced me to consider this, and after considering it, I decided that I
                  didn't really need the range. If you don't really need the range, it
                  doesn't make sense to pay extra for the privilege of hauling around extra
                  weight in batteries you don't ever use. Keep in mind though that these 60s
                  are a different shape than the SE 60s, they're tall and skinny. I still
                  haven't shimmed around my rear battery box, the cover is resting right on
                  top of the bolt heads of the cell connectors. This isn't ideal, but it
                  works for now.
                  You can of course lay them on their side somehow... But I wanted them to
                  display well so I left them standing up, even though they're "too tall".
                  As of this moment I'm up to 1,865 miles on my pack of 56) CALB CA60FI
                  cells. Very small pack, very light, and the car is nimble, to say the
                  least. I love pressing the accelerator down and having still more torque
                  beneath. I never drive in economy these days, probably I'm half "normal",
                  half "power". Like a fool I sometimes just regen and then accelerate and
                  then regen while I'm driving down the road. Totally the opposite of what I
                  did with the Gels. (Always in Econ, hypermiling, being very careful) I
                  enjoy that smooth feeling of change in velocity. This isn't advice to
                  anyone. But it's quite fun.
                  No BMS either-
                  I think the time I spent learning a feel for these cells was well worth it.
                  Wade Perry

                  On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Go with the 100's. That way you won't regret having the shorter range.
                  >

                  > On 1/2/2013 2:22 PM, Russell Fauver wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, I'm talking with Don Blazer about some Calbs. He can get them for
                  > > a pretty good price but I'm torn between the 60ah and the 100's. I
                  > > really liked the 70ah ones, they would certainly do what I need but
                  > > Don says they don't sell the 70's in the US ?? Oh, well...
                  > >
                  > > Russell

                • geo_homsy2
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
                    This information is out of date, but last I checked (maybe 2-3 years ago), someone on this list had done high discharge-rate testing, and the "yellow ones" had a totally crappy peukert exponent compared to the "blue ones".

                    Geo Homsy
                    99 Force
                    "blue ones" inside