Belt drive or no belt drive

  • Rick Durst
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2012
      I have a 95 Solectria Force. 65,000 miles. I have read that some have
      belt drives and some don't. If I have a belt drive, I think the belt
      broke. If it isn't belt drive it is something worse.
      I don't see anything in the manual about replacing the belt, just removing
      the motor/transmission. Which will be my next step.

      I read the post about the 1992 belt, but looking at the belt in the 92
      repair manual, my force certainly isn't like that one.

      The motor spins and sounds like a slipping belt (not really a metallic
      sound) but the vehicle just doesn't move.

      Anyone with more details about the motor/gear box or belt drive in a 1995
      Force?
      Rick

    • Rick Durst
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
        Thanks for the information. It isn't a half shaft, and I have started the
        process of pulling the motor. Axles are out and I hope to have the motor
        out tomorrow night. I was thinking of replacing the axle seals.
        Anyone know if there is a parts list anywhere? The one in the 1995/early
        1996 Solectria manual doesn't list these. I hate to pull them off to get
        the number and find out that they are hard to come by. They aren't
        leaking, but cheap and easy to replace while it is out of the car.

        The service manual also says to check the motor bearings at 50,000. Since
        I have 65,000 on the car, should I do anything else while it is out?
        Should I have a shop check or replace the motor bearings?

        On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Rick Durst <k1ykz7@...> wrote:

        > I have a 95 Solectria Force. 65,000 miles. I have read that some have
        > belt drives and some don't. If I have a belt drive, I think the belt
        > broke. If it isn't belt drive it is something worse.
        > I don't see anything in the manual about replacing the belt, just removing
        > the motor/transmission. Which will be my next step.
        >
        > I read the post about the 1992 belt, but looking at the belt in the 92
        > repair manual, my force certainly isn't like that one.
        >
        > The motor spins and sounds like a slipping belt (not really a metallic
        > sound) but the vehicle just doesn't move.
        >
        > Anyone with more details about the motor/gear box or belt drive in a 1995
        > Force?
        > Rick

      • Ken Olum
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2012
          From: Rick Durst <k1ykz7@...>
          Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 23:08:00 -0800

          I was thinking of replacing the axle seals. Anyone know if there
          is a parts list anywhere?

          These fit in my 1998.

          Ken
        • Mau Nguyen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 13, 2012
            You can go to the chevy dealership and buy them. They are the Metro seals.

            Sent from my iPod