Battery temp sensors

  • Joshua Goldstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
      Hi gang, here's a note about a recent temp sensor fault. The important
      point is that in the NLG software (to program the NLG4 charger), there is an
      option to look at the front battery compartment temp sensor, back one, both,
      or neither. However, this option is not located in any logical place but is
      on the page labelled "Serial number, type, and date."
      My charger was shutting down partway through the cycle, and I found with
      the MONLOG program that it was registering a temp sensor fault in "Batt1"
      which is the front compartment. The temp sensor is attached to the post of a
      battery somewhere in the middle of the series. Since the front compartment
      is a bear to get to (and anyway the problem might be a loose wire somewhere
      en route), I decided to just ignore that sensor, which I figure would only
      come into play if I were charging on a hot day in the sun. Long story short,
      I found the setting in the NLG program, set it for rear sensor only, and the
      charger now does its job perfectly again. Now the car's running
      perfectly -- even fixed the flaky dome light (loose wire up next to glove
      compartment). Someday maybe I'll find the temp sensor problem and go for
      it -- but not in winter.
      Joshua Goldstein
      '99 Force
    • Gerry Gaydos
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
        Hi all,Having just glanced at this thread, I thought I should share a morsel of knowledge I gleaned from a wise older guy I met in Palo Alto at an EV show a few years ago.
        I had a very enlightening conversation about battery temperature monitoring, with a long time member of the EAASV (Silicon Valley chapter), Warren Winnowich (sorry about the spelling Warren). Warren's lifetime experience with the likes of NASA has provided him with a vast body of experience, knowledge and wisdom about such things as how, where and when to measure what. He told me the best place to measure the temperature of a battery module is on one of it's sides, not the top or bottom as many people mistakenly believe.
        So it would seem that, whenever possible, temp sensors should be installed to read off a side that is least exposed to cooling, if preventing thermal damage and maximizing pack output are the goals.

        That makes sense to me, and although nobody asked for my 2 cents on the matter, there ya go. Haha. I enjoy reading about what you are all doing and the spirit of collaboration here.Keep on pluggin',Gerry Gaydos
        "Internal combustion is so last century"... Funkymoto�, Electrifying Cars! 250 598 3100

        To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
          Hi Joshua--

          I have a '99 with a non-working dome light also. Could you please expound on the location of the loose wire you found near the glove box??

          many thanks,

          //Geo