Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Auxiliary Heater Systems

Expand Messages
  • anthony c
    Yes, I don t drive w the heater on in my 2000 NiMH Ranger, I wish it had the heat while plugged option the Postal EVs did. Ah, well worth investigating,
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      Yes, I don't drive w the heater on in my 2000 NiMH Ranger, I wish it had the "heat while plugged" option the Postal EVs did.

      Ah, well worth investigating, thanks!

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, theoldcars@... wrote:
      >
      > Hello Anthony
      >
      > I had a 1997 Force but it had no auxiliary heater. It appears the heater
      > used by Solectria is the same one used in the 1997 and 1998 S-10 EV. I have
      > several of these trucks and they all have the heater as OEM equipment.
      >
      > I have not ever done a new install of these heaters because they were
      > already in place. All I can say is they do an outstanding job of providing all
      > the heat you could ever need.
      >
      > The Ford Ranger 1998 to 2001 EV has a great heater but it pulls up to 18
      > amps. I am now running a CALB pack in a Ranger so running the heater is no
      > longer a concern.
      >
      > Don Blazer
      >
      >
      >
      > In a message dated 12/3/2012 1:39:15 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > anthonycutlass6@... writes:
      >
      > Don,
      >
      > That would make sense to use the existing heater core/fan in the dash.
      >
      > What kind of connections are on the heater you have?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Anthony
      >
      > --- In _solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com)
      > , theoldcars@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Anthony
      > >
      > > They were an OEM heater in the Solectria and the 1997 - 1998 Chevrolet
      > S-10
      > > EV
      > >
      > > They are an extremely efficient and put out a huge amount of heat for a
      > > very small amount of fuel.
      > >
      > > These heat water that would normally be used in an heater of an ICE.
      > Your
      > > Ranger would not have a place for it unless you modified it. Your Fiero
      > > could use your existing heating system in the dash. I believe you would
      > need a
      > > water pump or it might be in the heater itself. I have never looked but
      > I
      > > don't recall seeing a pump for the hot water on an S-10
      > >
      > > Don Blazer
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > In a message dated 11/28/2012 10:56:39 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > > anthonycutlass6@ writes:
      > >
      > > Don,
      > >
      > > How do these work?
      > > I would like to use it for my 2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH...then my (engine
      >
      > > out today, literally 1 hour ago) '84 Fiero Project.
      > >
      > > Anthony
      > >
      > > --- In __solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_
      > (mailto:_solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) _ (mailto:_solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_
      > (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) )
      > > , theoldcars@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I highly advise using kerosene for longer service life. Kerosene or
      > > number
      > > > one stove oil burns much cleaner. It cost a little more but these
      > > heaters
      > > > are extremely efficient. I have never burned more then a gallon in a
      > > year.
      > > >
      > > > It is recommended you run the heater once every month to keep them in
      > > > working order.
      > > >
      > > > I have several of these heaters brand new in the box if anyone needs
      > > one.
      > > >
      > > > Don Blazer
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > In a message dated 11/27/2012 6:53:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > > > dickcoin@ writes:
      > > >
      > > > The heater has been flushed with fuel and is working again.
      > > >
      > > > --- In ___solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_
      > (mailto:__solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) _
      > > (mailto:__solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_
      > (mailto:_solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) ) _ (mailto:__solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_
      > (mailto:_solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) _
      > > (mailto:_solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com_
      > (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) ) )
      > > > , Dick Coin <dickcoin@> wrote:
      > > > >
      > > > > I think I have the same diesel heater in my 1998 Solectria Geo
      > Metro.
      > > I
      > > > let it run out of fuel last winter and did not refuel it until this
      > > fall.
      > > > When I tried to use it again it ran for a few minutes and then
      > stopped.
      > > I
      > > > can hear something running (a pump?) but I don't get any heat. I
      > > followed
      > > > the fuel line to the wall between the engine and passenger
      > compartments
      > > > but have not done anything more. If you have information that would
      > help
      > > > diagnose the problem and get my heater working again I would greatly
      > > > appreciate getting it.
      > > > >
      > > > > Dick Coin (coin4377@)
      >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
    • d. Bouton Baldridge
      Anthony, I am pretty sure that you can use the NGS to turn on the heaters while plugged in, ask Lanny. Bouty ________________________________ From: anthony c
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        Anthony,
        I am pretty sure that you can use the NGS to turn on the heaters while plugged in, ask Lanny.
        Bouty


        ________________________________
        From: anthony c <anthonycutlass6@...>
        To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:00 PM
        Subject: [solectria_ev] Re: Auxiliary Heater Systems

         
        Yes, I don't drive w the heater on in my 2000 NiMH Ranger, I wish it had the "heat while plugged" option the Postal EVs did.

        Ah, well worth investigating, thanks!

        --- In mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com, theoldcars@... wrote:
        >
        > Hello Anthony
        >
        > I had a 1997 Force but it had no auxiliary heater. It appears the heater
        > used by Solectria is the same one used in the 1997 and 1998 S-10 EV. I have
        > several of these trucks and they all have the heater as OEM equipment.
        >
        > I have not ever done a new install of these heaters because they were
        > already in place. All I can say is they do an outstanding job of providing all
        > the heat you could ever need.
        >
        > The Ford Ranger 1998 to 2001 EV has a great heater but it pulls up to 18
        > amps. I am now running a CALB pack in a Ranger so running the heater is no
        > longer a concern.
        >
        > Don Blazer
        >
        >
        >
        > In a message dated 12/3/2012 1:39:15 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        > anthonycutlass6@... writes:
        >
        > Don,
        >
        > That would make sense to use the existing heater core/fan in the dash.
        >
        > What kind of connections are on the heater you have?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Anthony
        >
        > --- In mailto:_solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com)
        > , theoldcars@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Anthony
        > >
        > > They were an OEM heater in the Solectria and the 1997 - 1998 Chevrolet
        > S-10
        > > EV
        > >
        > > They are an extremely efficient and put out a huge amount of heat for a
        > > very small amount of fuel.
        > >
        > > These heat water that would normally be used in an heater of an ICE.
        > Your
        > > Ranger would not have a place for it unless you modified it. Your Fiero
        > > could use your existing heating system in the dash. I believe you would
        > need a
        > > water pump or it might be in the heater itself. I have never looked but
        > I
        > > don't recall seeing a pump for the hot water on an S-10
        > >
        > > Don Blazer
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > In a message dated 11/28/2012 10:56:39 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        > > anthonycutlass6@ writes:
        > >
        > > Don,
        > >
        > > How do these work?
        > > I would like to use it for my 2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH...then my (engine
        >
        > > out today, literally 1 hour ago) '84 Fiero Project.
        > >
        > > Anthony
        > >
        > > --- In mailto:__solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com_
        > (mailto:mailto:_solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com) _ (mailto:mailto:_solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com_
        > (mailto:mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com) )
        > > , theoldcars@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I highly advise using kerosene for longer service life. Kerosene or
        > > number
        > > > one stove oil burns much cleaner. It cost a little more but these
        > > heaters
        > > > are extremely efficient. I have never burned more then a gallon in a
        > > year.
        > > >
        > > > It is recommended you run the heater once every month to keep them in
        > > > working order.
        > > >
        > > > I have several of these heaters brand new in the box if anyone needs
        > > one.
        > > >
        > > > Don Blazer
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > >
        > > > In a message dated 11/27/2012 6:53:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        > > > dickcoin@ writes:
        > > >
        > > > The heater has been flushed with fuel and is working again.
        > > >
        > > > --- In mailto:___solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com_
        > (mailto:mailto:__solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com) _
        > > (mailto:mailto:__solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com_
        > (mailto:mailto:_solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com) ) _ (mailto:mailto:__solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com_
        > (mailto:mailto:_solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com) _
        > > (mailto:mailto:_solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com_
        > (mailto:mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com) ) )
        > > > , Dick Coin <dickcoin@> wrote:
        > > > >
        > > > > I think I have the same diesel heater in my 1998 Solectria Geo
        > Metro.
        > > I
        > > > let it run out of fuel last winter and did not refuel it until this
        > > fall.
        > > > When I tried to use it again it ran for a few minutes and then
        > stopped.
        > > I
        > > > can hear something running (a pump?) but I don't get any heat. I
        > > followed
        > > > the fuel line to the wall between the engine and passenger
        > compartments
        > > > but have not done anything more. If you have information that would
        > help
        > > > diagnose the problem and get my heater working again I would greatly
        > > > appreciate getting it.
        > > > >
        > > > > Dick Coin (coin4377@)
        >
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >




        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.