Re: [solectria_ev] Thermal Management System

  • Chandler Chip
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
      Wade:
      The junction box on my 1997 Force leads out of the BC3300 charger and I'll assume it was originally similar for your 1998. Inside this box is a complex circuit board with some of the leads going out to the thermal management system. Matching that circuitry with your Zivan charger might be difficult, but you might go a simpler route as Solectria did in the 1996 Force, just fused leads off the power input before the power leads go to the charger. My 1996 has dual BC1000 chargers, taking only 110 volts, and in the junction box two 12amp 250 volt fuses on the two leads to the temp sensor boxes. Your Zivan and heater pads probably take 240 volts.

      My temp readings are showing quite a difference, as it gets colder here, between the center of the pack and outside edge, both after running and charging. I don't know what long term effects this might have on cell conditions and longevity, that is, having the center cells working at a higher temperature than the cells at the edges (also this would make a complex scenario for precession). I have no insulation (and no room for it), but would recommend as much insulation as you can install, under and around. I found when I tried originally heating lead acid, the electric bill was significant even with insulation. I believe the temp sensors are set for 70F degrees, and it would be wonderful if they could be adjusted to say 40F or replaced for 40F. I am still getting reasonable performance with the center pack starting temp at 25F with 1.5Ah/mile (TS 160Ah cells).

      Chip Chandler
      cchandler66@...

    • Wade Perry
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
        Rex-
        I don't think the "general consensus" includes 60Ahr. Yet. I only know of
        two transplants that are less than 100 Ahr. (Bouty & me) Would like to be
        enlightened about any more out there...
        I see you running through the same thought process as I did. 40Ahr is
        definitely small. But you of all people should know, having driven
        electric for so long in the first place, and even tracked your Ahr usage.
        I didn't have that benefit, and I can tell you it wasn't wrong.
        The only thing I'd recommend is to consider putting in as high a voltage as
        you can. 56 cells is really fun- the "sport" version of the Solectria
        Force. Plus it results in greater range too- the higher voltage means the
        Ahr counter moves slower.
        Also the 60s are a different shape than the 40s. Taller and skinnier. I'm
        not sure what the height of the front box is, but with the smaller
        footprint you could definitely fit more of them in.
        If you do a "high-voltage" transplant using CA 40s, you'd have a very light
        and zippy car.

        Putting all the cells in the front is also a good idea, and I wish I had
        that too. When there's snow on the roads I really notice the lack of
        traction. I have a hard time getting going in front of my house. I have
        one gel cell in the front still just to give me some weight up there. I'm
        thinking that after a year of this, when I have the sense that the cells
        really are not going to drift and have some experience with it, I may move
        them up to the front where they're very difficult to actually measure (or
        as many as I can fit up there).

        I remember reading Bouty's email with disbelief that he hadn't even checked
        the voltage on the cells for 18 months! How irresponsible! Is he trying
        to wreck his batteries?
        Now I'm quite a ways down that road myself.

        Wade

      • Rex Allison
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
          Wade,

          I think the issue of cell balancing, monitoring, or driving blind so to speak is still forming as users gain more experience. I'm not as daring as Bouty, so I'm still in favor of monitoring, but I read somewhere (this is not my original idea) that monitoring in groups of 4 is another way to simplify your setup, especially if you are not pushing your pack to it's limit. The advantage of groups of 4 cells, basically battery monitoring vs cell monitoring, is that a weak cell will still show up and you can use one of the existing Pb monitoring systems such as the Paktrakr. This is just another system tradeoff with pros and cons.

          As far as accessing the front battery box. I gave up my AC unit years ago to a fellow Force owner (60lb less to lug around), so I just have the controller in the way. Another item on my todo list is to come up with a hinged mount for the controller so that the battery box can be easily accessed. I haven't come up with any solid solution yet...

          Rex

          ________________________________
> [...]

          > approx.)
          >
          > 3. My car will be shedding 661lb. The CALB cells at 3.3lb each x 49 = 161
          > lb vs the 822lb (63.2lb x 13) of the current pack. I'm probably going to
          > have to find the original springs for the Geo, otherwise the car will feel
          > like it is permanently going down a hill.
          >
          > 4. The "blue" CALBs (SE40AHA) already have fantastic C ratings and the
          > "grey" cells have better cold weather performance. The max current of the
          > force at around 240A dc should be no problem for the 40Ahr cells, they
          > should be able to handle C6. There is some interesting test data on the
          > cells: http://blog.evtv.me/2012/06/battery-jump-shift/
          >
          > I know the general consensus is that 60 Ahr or 100 Ahr is preferable, but
          > I've been logging all my driving for the past 7 years, most days I use
          > between 16Ahrs and 20Ahrs and only a few times did I even come close to

        • Gerry Gaydos
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
            Hey, you don't need to monitor all the modules in your EVs battery pack,... only the ones you want to keep.There has yet to be made a battery of any type that has any loyalty to it's owner, just because he/she spent some hard earned money. They will tend to do what ever the hell they want, unless you keep an eye on the little buggers and help them play well with others.

            Gerry
            "Internal combustion is so last century"... Funkymoto�, Electrifying Cars! 250 598 3100

            To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

            > approx.)

            > 3. My car will be shedding 661lb. The CALB cells at 3.3lb each x 49 = 161

            > lb vs the 822lb (63.2lb x 13) of the current pack. I'm probably going to

            > have to find the original springs for the Geo, otherwise the car will feel

            > like it is permanently going down a hill.

            > 4. The "blue" CALBs (SE40AHA) already have fantastic C ratings and the

            > "grey" cells have better cold weather performance. The max current of the

            > force at around 240A dc should be no problem for the 40Ahr cells, they

            > should be able to handle C6. There is some interesting test data on the

            > cells: http://blog.evtv.me/2012/06/battery-jump-shift/

            > I know the general consensus is that 60 Ahr or 100 Ahr is preferable, but

            > I've been logging all my driving for the past 7 years, most days I use

            > between 16Ahrs and 20Ahrs and only a few times did I even come close to

          • geo_homsy2
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
              Chip-

              are you confusing the charger's thermal monitoring system with the thermal management system?

              In my 1999 force, the factory stock condition was:

              * two NTC thermistors mounted inside ring lugs, one screwed onto a battery post in each box, plugged into the charger interface box you describe.

              * two thermal management boxes, small black plastic, 1x2x4", velcro'd to the top of the batteries, again one in front, one in the rear. These boxes each have a bi-metallic type thermal snap-switch, to turn on the heating pads. They are powered from the AC junction box on the rear-left fender well.

              It is the latter system I believe Wade is referring to. It is completely independent of the charger.

              //Geo

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
                The internals, (caps, MOSFETs) are rated at 250 Volts, but I would not
                recommend running that close to the limit...

                I don't have a working AMC325 at the moment, but of you connect to one with
                the AMC program, and then download the config file.

                Change the high voltage limit to 999 and then the program will change it to
                the max allowed voltage.

                On the AMC320 it is 180 volts.

                Using the ratio 180V/12 = 15V
                Then the AMC325 should be 15*15 = 225 Volts max.

                Due so at your own risk. ;)

              • d. Bouton Baldridge
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Hi Rex, you have done well getting 7 years and 22,000 miles. I have not been so fortunate with Pb.
                  Ok not too sure of the miles maybe 3000. Since the main reason for a small pack was cost I also adopted a different attitude for the car. Being an early model the 30 -40 mile range on 90 ah  l/a is still pretty much possible with the 40 Ah lithium. Not needing to drive that much every a day any longer (retired) I wanted to find a solution to the problem of replacing packs every 18 months or 2 years. My goal was to get the overall cost of driving electric down, and replacing packs so frequently was the number one culprit. Since my lithium pack cost just a bit more than the Pb four years ago, I feel that my goal is proving to be successful. I have added the solar feature to not only reduce the cost more, but I wanted to prove to myself that it could be done without using supplemental power which now influences my driving as well. I will have driven 2.5 years without even plugging in. I drive only the distance that will allow me to recharge from the sun
                  the next day, which is qute a challenge during the winter. So distance driving is for somebody else. Range anxiety is an issue all of us EVers  have to deal with in our public image. If you want to go long distances in an EV it can be done but at a steep price for a large pack, but how much do you really need? Those 3000 miles were hundreds of short trips like the average driver does every day; if an ICE were used they would be the least efficient and most polluting miles, not so with an EV. Hope this helps.
                  Bouty

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
                    Hi Wade,
                     It is only a theory but I think that while you are charging at the higher rate steady state it tends to heat the cell electrolite higher than when you were driving; in my case the cells are heated by the high outside temps and cabin. A warmer cell increases the voltage and thus the charger reaches voltage limit before the entire Ah capacity is reached just slightly less. I have withnesses my cell arround 90 degrees F and the car acts like it is in power mode good acceleration and the converse is true when they are below 50 F, so I know that these cells behave this way. So your cells are colder before charging, I think.
                    Bouty

                    ________________________________

                  • theoldcars@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
                      Just a word of warning

                      The CALB cells are not rated as many sellers on the Internet are showing 3C
                      and 4C on their web sites. The SE series was rated by CALB at 1C and many
                      have put them under loads of 3C or 4C. There is no data that I am aware of
                      that shows cycle life under these higher C rates but it will be less.

                      The new CA series which are also called the gray cells are rated at 2C by
                      CALB.

                      If your going to put a higher C rate on a CALB cell I would recommend it be
                      the CA series.

                      CALB for the most part has stopped selling the SE series except for a few
                      sizes. The demand for the SE series has almost totally gone away with the
                      release of the CA series.

                      Jack from EVTV gives out some off some really off the wall advise and
                      information. While some of what he does is good he also chimes in with baseless
                      comments or beliefs that have no merit.

                      On the 40Ah cells your going to see far more voltage sag under load. Cycle
                      life would be less but as you point out its going to be a savings
                      regardless over lead. I would highly recommend the CA 60Ah cells. The 60Ah cells
                      hold their voltage very well. I know of one person who parallel two 40Ah of
                      SE40 and their voltage sags more then a pack of 60Ah CA cells in series.

                      Don Blazer

                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                        Geo: Ooops! My brain cramp. Thanks for the correction.

                        Chip Chandler
                        cchandler66@...

                      • d. Bouton Baldridge
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                          I'll chime in here too. Tom has good advice. When I bought my 40 Ah TS cells the price was $63.00 per cell. Since the 60 Ah cells are now about the same price  as what I paid 4 years ago it makes no sense to use a 40 Ah cell today unless you live in a hot climate and on an island,  the sag is bad with the 40 Ah in cold weather. The only reason I have not upgraded is because they are still performing and as I mentioned before as a solar powered vehicle the smaller pack works well, also I want to see how long they will last. Right now it appears the car may fail before the batteries, got some switching issues going on. So my advice is go with the 60Ah unless you must drive longer distances then go with what ever you can afford.
                          Bouty

                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                            Oh I forgot to mention, I had been told by a Sinopoly (formly TS) dealer that TS and SkyEnergy (Calb) originally were the two primary cell makers, and Sky (Calb) made the cells for their military so they were quite rugged could provide serious current, but that they had a shorter life than the TS. I have not used any Calbs, but I can attest to the TSs since I have at least 5 times brought the same group of cells back to life from 0v. Not on purpose mind you. My guess is that Calb has probably improved their product to give longer life with their new line, it is obvious that they have not been stingy with capacity sometimes 15% higher than rating. which would seem good except if your batch of cells are not matched, just keep it between the knees! good luck.
                            Bouty