Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Looking for a Solectria for sale !

  • Steve Powers
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
      I don't usually post much to the list, but want to throw in my 2 cents.
      Not all of the Solectria Force cars are the same. There is a lot of
      difference between say a 1992 and a 1999. I can't say for sure which is
      best. My understanding is that the later models have the best performance
      - 156V systems and higher power controllers. Some of the early ones are
      120 or 144 V cars. They were built with NiCD, NiMH, and PBA batts. Most
      were originally PBA although I have seen NiCD, PBA and Li Ion conversions.
      I have never driven or ridden in a NiMH car, but I think they did exist.
      The latest models 98 and 99 have gearboxes that have some advantages and
      some disadvantages. People have reported issues with them not seen in the
      belt drive cars. But, the belt drive ones have their own set of issues,
      including the need to replace the drive belts. One of my recent EV
      purchases was a 99 force. Decent car, but it did have jerky performance
      that I didn't like. Also, it was underpowered and couldn't handle the
      hills here in GA. I decided to replace it with a Leaf which handles well,
      has good power, and decent range. Although, I think you can get the same
      range out of a Li Ion force.

      Leafs are a tough buy as well. Most of the ones on the market have shall I
      say ... heat damaged battery packs ... There is a reason why those ones
      are for sale. Then, there are a few that haven't been in the extreme heat
      and have low miles. Those can be a very good buy in the low $20k range. A
      force costs around $5-6k and the Li upgrade is easily another $10k plus a
      week of work. For $20k, I'd rather have a 2011 than a 1997 that costs
      $16k. I do prefer the belt drive force to the gear box version. I do
      prefer the ones with A/C, like mine. But, for $16k, I think you can do a
      lot better for just $4k more. On PBA, the car is pretty limited in
      performance and range unless it is real flat, you drive slow, and don't use
      accys. That is my experience based on owning more than a dozen EVs since
      1998-2012. I'm not in love with the Leaf. It has issues of its own, but
      it is the best EV I have ever owned. Second best was my Li Ion powered VW
      Bug, #3 was the 99 force, #4 was 93 Escort, #5 was 93 Festiva and on and on
      it goes for the rest of the cars. My worst car was a fork lift powered
      1970 Saab Sonett that had very poor performance and very limited range.
      Not all EVs are the same, very clearly from my experience,

      Steve
      Atlanta, GA