Re: [solectria_ev] Looking for a Solectria for sale !

  • Larry Oslund
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
      Am I reading correctly. 7500 miles, or did you forget to put a zero on the
      end of that?

      On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM, <tedcoyle@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi, I have two of them and am considering selling one. 1994 Force with
      > 7500 miles. 3 years ago I had Azure Dynamics replace the batteries, they
      > also updated a few things on it. Batteries are still good, though they have
      > faded since new three years ago. I am located in Boston. Thanks

      [image: Inline image 1]

      *Larry Oslund*
      Programmer
      office: 828-209-9000 x36
      fax: 828-209-9001
      email: larry.oslund@...
      web: normac.com <http://www.noramc.com/>

    • tedcoyle@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
        7500 is correct! I only have a 4 mile commute to work. I would have to ask other members what a fair price would be. I enjoy being a part of this forum and respect all the knowledgeable members. I can post a few pics tomorrow. Thank you.

        Am I reading correctly. 7500 miles, or did you forget to put a zero on the
        end of that?

        On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM, <tedcoyle@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi, I have two of them and am considering selling one. 1994 Force with
        > 7500 miles. 3 years ago I had Azure Dynamics replace the batteries, they
        > also updated a few things on it. Batteries are still good, though they have
        > faded since new three years ago. I am located in Boston. Thanks

      • Sean K
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
          Wow, 7,500 miles, that's incredible, coming up with a price is going to take some negotiating...

          I paid $7,000 US for a 1999 with just over 20k miles and a good but slightly aged lead pack in september. I've seen them priced all over the place recently, from about $3,000 more or less trashed interior/exterior + dead lead pack up to if I recall correctly about $14,000 in good shape with lithium.

          Unfortunately there isn't a blue book for these, it really comes down to what you'd be willing to sell it for vs what he's willing to pay for it, though you might want to see if you can get some bidding going, I know if I had any cash right this moment I'd make an offer.

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, tedcoyle@... wrote:

          > 7500 is correct! I only have a 4 mile commute to work. I would have to ask other members what a fair price would be. I enjoy being a part of this forum and respect all the knowledgeable members. I can post a few pics tomorrow. Thank you.

        • Steve Powers
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
            I don't usually post much to the list, but want to throw in my 2 cents.
            Not all of the Solectria Force cars are the same. There is a lot of
            difference between say a 1992 and a 1999. I can't say for sure which is
            best. My understanding is that the later models have the best performance
            - 156V systems and higher power controllers. Some of the early ones are
            120 or 144 V cars. They were built with NiCD, NiMH, and PBA batts. Most
            were originally PBA although I have seen NiCD, PBA and Li Ion conversions.
            I have never driven or ridden in a NiMH car, but I think they did exist.
            The latest models 98 and 99 have gearboxes that have some advantages and
            some disadvantages. People have reported issues with them not seen in the
            belt drive cars. But, the belt drive ones have their own set of issues,
            including the need to replace the drive belts. One of my recent EV
            purchases was a 99 force. Decent car, but it did have jerky performance
            that I didn't like. Also, it was underpowered and couldn't handle the
            hills here in GA. I decided to replace it with a Leaf which handles well,
            has good power, and decent range. Although, I think you can get the same
            range out of a Li Ion force.

            Leafs are a tough buy as well. Most of the ones on the market have shall I
            say ... heat damaged battery packs ... There is a reason why those ones
            are for sale. Then, there are a few that haven't been in the extreme heat
            and have low miles. Those can be a very good buy in the low $20k range. A
            force costs around $5-6k and the Li upgrade is easily another $10k plus a
            week of work. For $20k, I'd rather have a 2011 than a 1997 that costs
            $16k. I do prefer the belt drive force to the gear box version. I do
            prefer the ones with A/C, like mine. But, for $16k, I think you can do a
            lot better for just $4k more. On PBA, the car is pretty limited in
            performance and range unless it is real flat, you drive slow, and don't use
            accys. That is my experience based on owning more than a dozen EVs since
            1998-2012. I'm not in love with the Leaf. It has issues of its own, but
            it is the best EV I have ever owned. Second best was my Li Ion powered VW
            Bug, #3 was the 99 force, #4 was 93 Escort, #5 was 93 Festiva and on and on
            it goes for the rest of the cars. My worst car was a fork lift powered
            1970 Saab Sonett that had very poor performance and very limited range.
            Not all EVs are the same, very clearly from my experience,

            Steve
            Atlanta, GA