Looking for a Solectria for sale !

  • roup62
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hi guys,does anyone have an Solectria Force lying around. I'm looking at
      a 4 doors passager car or pick-up truck S-10 for sale, preferably with
      good batteries.All offers welcome, thanks.
      Pier RoussoQuebec, Canada

    • Sean K
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
        Hi Pier, I think most of the ones that were for sale on the list here recently have sold, but there is one listed in the evfinder.com classifieds with a phone number that appears to be in california. From the listing it sounds like it will need a new battery pack and that it has been stored for a while so I'd definitely make sure to check the gearbox fluid level before trying to drive it at all. It was posted a few weeks ago but at the price he has it listed at ($6500) I'd bet he still has it, and he might be receptive to a lower offer.

      • tedcoyle@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
          Hi, I have two of them and am considering selling one. 1994 Force with 7500 miles. 3 years ago I had Azure Dynamics replace the batteries, they also updated a few things on it. Batteries are still good, though they have faded since new three years ago. I am located in Boston. Thanks

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
            What kind of price range you are considering for your Solectria!

            Pier Rousso
            Quebec Canada
            J4M 1E4

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
              Am I reading correctly. 7500 miles, or did you forget to put a zero on the
              end of that?

              On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM, <tedcoyle@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi, I have two of them and am considering selling one. 1994 Force with
              > 7500 miles. 3 years ago I had Azure Dynamics replace the batteries, they
              > also updated a few things on it. Batteries are still good, though they have
              > faded since new three years ago. I am located in Boston. Thanks

              [image: Inline image 1]

              *Larry Oslund*
              Programmer
              office: 828-209-9000 x36
              fax: 828-209-9001
              email: larry.oslund@...
              web: normac.com <http://www.noramc.com/>

            • tedcoyle@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
                7500 is correct! I only have a 4 mile commute to work. I would have to ask other members what a fair price would be. I enjoy being a part of this forum and respect all the knowledgeable members. I can post a few pics tomorrow. Thank you.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
                  Wow, 7,500 miles, that's incredible, coming up with a price is going to take some negotiating...

                  I paid $7,000 US for a 1999 with just over 20k miles and a good but slightly aged lead pack in september. I've seen them priced all over the place recently, from about $3,000 more or less trashed interior/exterior + dead lead pack up to if I recall correctly about $14,000 in good shape with lithium.

                  Unfortunately there isn't a blue book for these, it really comes down to what you'd be willing to sell it for vs what he's willing to pay for it, though you might want to see if you can get some bidding going, I know if I had any cash right this moment I'd make an offer.

                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, tedcoyle@... wrote:

                  > 7500 is correct! I only have a 4 mile commute to work. I would have to ask other members what a fair price would be. I enjoy being a part of this forum and respect all the knowledgeable members. I can post a few pics tomorrow. Thank you.

                • Steve Powers
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 29, 2012
                    I don't usually post much to the list, but want to throw in my 2 cents.
                    Not all of the Solectria Force cars are the same. There is a lot of
                    difference between say a 1992 and a 1999. I can't say for sure which is
                    best. My understanding is that the later models have the best performance
                    - 156V systems and higher power controllers. Some of the early ones are
                    120 or 144 V cars. They were built with NiCD, NiMH, and PBA batts. Most
                    were originally PBA although I have seen NiCD, PBA and Li Ion conversions.
                    I have never driven or ridden in a NiMH car, but I think they did exist.
                    The latest models 98 and 99 have gearboxes that have some advantages and
                    some disadvantages. People have reported issues with them not seen in the
                    belt drive cars. But, the belt drive ones have their own set of issues,
                    including the need to replace the drive belts. One of my recent EV
                    purchases was a 99 force. Decent car, but it did have jerky performance
                    that I didn't like. Also, it was underpowered and couldn't handle the
                    hills here in GA. I decided to replace it with a Leaf which handles well,
                    has good power, and decent range. Although, I think you can get the same
                    range out of a Li Ion force.

                    Leafs are a tough buy as well. Most of the ones on the market have shall I
                    say ... heat damaged battery packs ... There is a reason why those ones
                    are for sale. Then, there are a few that haven't been in the extreme heat
                    and have low miles. Those can be a very good buy in the low $20k range. A
                    force costs around $5-6k and the Li upgrade is easily another $10k plus a
                    week of work. For $20k, I'd rather have a 2011 than a 1997 that costs
                    $16k. I do prefer the belt drive force to the gear box version. I do
                    prefer the ones with A/C, like mine. But, for $16k, I think you can do a
                    lot better for just $4k more. On PBA, the car is pretty limited in
                    performance and range unless it is real flat, you drive slow, and don't use
                    accys. That is my experience based on owning more than a dozen EVs since
                    1998-2012. I'm not in love with the Leaf. It has issues of its own, but
                    it is the best EV I have ever owned. Second best was my Li Ion powered VW
                    Bug, #3 was the 99 force, #4 was 93 Escort, #5 was 93 Festiva and on and on
                    it goes for the rest of the cars. My worst car was a fork lift powered
                    1970 Saab Sonett that had very poor performance and very limited range.
                    Not all EVs are the same, very clearly from my experience,

                    Steve
                    Atlanta, GA