RE: [force_ev] Battery Box Wire

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
      That's the temperature sensor. The silicone rubber on it is to keep ambient
      air temperature from affecting the temperature reading -- You want it to
      show the battery terminal temperature.

      I'd put that on one of the terminals of battery #3, because that battery
      will probably tend to be the warmest in the front box, and that's what you
      want the charger to see.

      -Tom

    • Stephen Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
        Since the one in the back is on a positive terminal should the one in the front be on a negative one or doesn't it matter?

        Tom Hudson <tomhudson@...> wrote:That's the temperature sensor. The silicone rubber on it is to keep ambient
        air temperature from affecting the temperature reading -- You want it to
        show the battery terminal temperature.

        I'd put that on one of the terminals of battery #3, because that battery
        will probably tend to be the warmest in the front box, and that's what you
        want the charger to see.

        -Tom

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Tom Hudson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
          > Since the one in the back is on a positive terminal should the
          > one in the front be on a negative one or doesn't it matter?

          It doesn't matter. There's no electrical connection; just thermal. When
          you have it all attached, you might apply some more silicone sealant to the
          area to be sure no air hits that ring terminal. You want only the battery
          terminal affecting its temperature.

          One other thing I thought I'd better mention: Be sure all your batteries
          are at the same state of charge before connecting them into a series pack.
          If you don't, you're going to have an unbalanced pack, which at best will
          cause one or more batteries to fail prematurely.

          -Tom

          Thomas Hudson