Battery Box Wire

  • Stephen Taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
      I just got a lead acid 1997 Force that was missing half its batteries. I am in the process of replacing them now. In each battery box I've got one extra wire that has an O ring to connect to the batteries and some semi-transparent near the O ring that leads me to believe they might be temperature sensors. The Solectria Service Manual doesn't show this wire for the front box, but does show the wire being attached I'm assuming to the positive terminal of battery #9. Can anyone tell me where the one in the front box is suppose to attach.

      Stephen Taylor

    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
        That's the temperature sensor. The silicone rubber on it is to keep ambient
        air temperature from affecting the temperature reading -- You want it to
        show the battery terminal temperature.

        I'd put that on one of the terminals of battery #3, because that battery
        will probably tend to be the warmest in the front box, and that's what you
        want the charger to see.

        -Tom

      • Stephen Taylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
          Since the one in the back is on a positive terminal should the one in the front be on a negative one or doesn't it matter?

          Tom Hudson <tomhudson@...> wrote:That's the temperature sensor. The silicone rubber on it is to keep ambient
          air temperature from affecting the temperature reading -- You want it to
          show the battery terminal temperature.

          I'd put that on one of the terminals of battery #3, because that battery
          will probably tend to be the warmest in the front box, and that's what you
          want the charger to see.

          -Tom

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Tom Hudson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
            > Since the one in the back is on a positive terminal should the
            > one in the front be on a negative one or doesn't it matter?

            It doesn't matter. There's no electrical connection; just thermal. When
            you have it all attached, you might apply some more silicone sealant to the
            area to be sure no air hits that ring terminal. You want only the battery
            terminal affecting its temperature.

            One other thing I thought I'd better mention: Be sure all your batteries
            are at the same state of charge before connecting them into a series pack.
            If you don't, you're going to have an unbalanced pack, which at best will
            cause one or more batteries to fail prematurely.

            -Tom

            Thomas Hudson