RE: [force_ev] new owner/chargers

  • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
      Aaron Birenboim wrote:

      > It came with two old, broken, "Solectria BC1000" chargers,
      > serial numbers 20 and 23. Are these the re-labeled
      > Brusa4?? chargers?

      Probably not Brusa-made, and certainly not the NLG4 range. The NLG4 is a
      later design.

      I've heard that at least two different types of chargers were sold as BC-1000
      models. I don't think any of them was made by Brusa. My BC-1000, which
      I'm currently not using, doesn't have anything I recognize as a Brusa
      "earmark." I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone who worked at
      Solectria in that era will have the definitive answer.

      > Either way, it it worth my time to try and revive these?

      I suppose it depends on which type they are and what's wrong with them. No
      matter what, they're not all that powerful or fast, though.

      > The batteries started at about 90F. ...
      > This AM, the batteries were around 102F and the Zivan
      > was flashing yellow warning (over temperature).

      You should expect some temperature rise, since as charging voltage rises
      above gassing voltage you're using more and more charge current for
      electroysis and heat.

      But that does seem pretty darn warm. Make sure your battery box fans are
      working. You may need to add one in the front battery box if it's not so fitted.
      Remove any insulation left in the boxes for wintertime operation.

      > I can see where these batteries might have been thrashed
      > by the Zivan.

      Zivans are (in)famous for being too aggressive with their factory gel and AGM
      profiles. They're better with flooded batteries. I believe I heard that someone
      was working on hacking the profiles to make them gentler; I'll see if I can find
      that reference.

      Will Beckett wrote:

      > I recently heard that the charger has problems with 220vac and works
      > much more reliably at 208vac.

      Hmm, I heard the exact opposite from the folks (Green Motorworks) who
      maintained the Pivco Citibees for the Alameda Station Car project. These
      cars used NLG412 chargers. Several at one BART station failed early in the
      game and they sent them back to Brusa for repair. They were told the
      failures were a result of operating on 208 volts instead of 240 (the European
      standard). At the lower input voltage, the power stage has to draw more
      current to produce the rated output power.

      BTW, after the hassles of sending some of them back to Switzerland, GMW
      started working on the chargers themselves. They found that the majority of
      failures were a just a blown fuse. Unfortunately it's an oddball type, and it's
      buried deep inside the charger.

      I limit my NLG4s' output to 2900 watts for longer life. Anyone who's had a
      failure might want to set it even lower than that, perhaps 2500 watts.

      > it doesn't really make any
      > difference because of the design of the Brusa which I understand is
      > really two 110vac chargers.

      I haven't heard that elsewhere, but it's certainly possible. I'm not enough of
      an engineer to analyze the circuit. But one would think that if they used this
      design strategy they'd have a configuration switch of something of the sort to
      parallel the power stages for 120 volt operation.

      Otmar Ebenhoech has worked on these chargers and could probably answer
      at least some questions about the design.

      David Roden
      Akron OH USA