RE: [force_ev] new owner/chargers

  • Peter Belden
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2003
      I don't know much about the chargers, but mine definitely died, after about 2 years and 14,000 miles. Something inside burned up and it is definitely beyond repair. I shipped it back to Solectria and they said that the chargers only like 220 and that 110 should only be used occaisionally. I'd used 110 exclusively for about 9 months. I bought a new charger from Solectria which was cheaper than getting one from Brusa. I now have 220 at home.

      Peter

      Will Beckett <will@...> wrote:
      Well, if Peter's experience is any example, it doesn't really make any
      difference because of the design of the Brusa which I understand is
      really two 110vac chargers. Frequently, one side will fail. This
      happened with my mother's charger as well.

      -Will

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
        Aaron Birenboim wrote:

        > It came with two old, broken, "Solectria BC1000" chargers,
        > serial numbers 20 and 23. Are these the re-labeled
        > Brusa4?? chargers?

        Probably not Brusa-made, and certainly not the NLG4 range. The NLG4 is a
        later design.

        I've heard that at least two different types of chargers were sold as BC-1000
        models. I don't think any of them was made by Brusa. My BC-1000, which
        I'm currently not using, doesn't have anything I recognize as a Brusa
        "earmark." I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone who worked at
        Solectria in that era will have the definitive answer.

        > Either way, it it worth my time to try and revive these?

        I suppose it depends on which type they are and what's wrong with them. No
        matter what, they're not all that powerful or fast, though.

        > The batteries started at about 90F. ...
        > This AM, the batteries were around 102F and the Zivan
        > was flashing yellow warning (over temperature).

        You should expect some temperature rise, since as charging voltage rises
        above gassing voltage you're using more and more charge current for
        electroysis and heat.

        But that does seem pretty darn warm. Make sure your battery box fans are
        working. You may need to add one in the front battery box if it's not so fitted.
        Remove any insulation left in the boxes for wintertime operation.

        > I can see where these batteries might have been thrashed
        > by the Zivan.

        Zivans are (in)famous for being too aggressive with their factory gel and AGM
        profiles. They're better with flooded batteries. I believe I heard that someone
        was working on hacking the profiles to make them gentler; I'll see if I can find
        that reference.

        Will Beckett wrote:

        > I recently heard that the charger has problems with 220vac and works
        > much more reliably at 208vac.

        Hmm, I heard the exact opposite from the folks (Green Motorworks) who
        maintained the Pivco Citibees for the Alameda Station Car project. These
        cars used NLG412 chargers. Several at one BART station failed early in the
        game and they sent them back to Brusa for repair. They were told the
        failures were a result of operating on 208 volts instead of 240 (the European
        standard). At the lower input voltage, the power stage has to draw more
        current to produce the rated output power.

        BTW, after the hassles of sending some of them back to Switzerland, GMW
        started working on the chargers themselves. They found that the majority of
        failures were a just a blown fuse. Unfortunately it's an oddball type, and it's
        buried deep inside the charger.

        I limit my NLG4s' output to 2900 watts for longer life. Anyone who's had a
        failure might want to set it even lower than that, perhaps 2500 watts.

        > it doesn't really make any
        > difference because of the design of the Brusa which I understand is
        > really two 110vac chargers.

        I haven't heard that elsewhere, but it's certainly possible. I'm not enough of
        an engineer to analyze the circuit. But one would think that if they used this
        design strategy they'd have a configuration switch of something of the sort to
        parallel the power stages for 120 volt operation.

        Otmar Ebenhoech has worked on these chargers and could probably answer
        at least some questions about the design.

        David Roden
        Akron OH USA