Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Tires and rim sizing

  • sbdeadelf@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2012
      I haven't needed to mess with the tires on my Force, but I've done some playing with my gas powered Sprints (just before they became Metros). They came stock with 155/12s but felt really flabby, bordering on unsafe in fast turns. They aren't cheap, but 155/60/15s corner fantastic and can handle 44psi. The 165/60/14 Potenzas could be good too, especially being LRR tires, but I haven't tried those yet. Accord wheels fit the Sprints just about perfectly, and theres even more room on the Metros.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 31, 2012, at 9:03 AM, "ldr214" <replytome@...> wrote:

      > My 97 model had stock 13 inch wheels and tires. I replaced them with some alloy's back in 04. Maintained stock tire size.
      >
      > I'm now seeing a ever decreasing number of 13" tires available. Haven't had to get new tires yet but this will likely be the year. If you can find 14" wheels/tires and make everything work it might be worth considering. At tire stores and online you can find calculators for maintaining tire diameter. 12 to 14 may not work, 12 to 13 should.
      >
      > Mike R
      > 97 Force
      >
      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I replaced my rims with 13" from a Toyota. Because the Geo lugs are
      > > 10mm, you need to replace the lug nuts with ones sized for a larger
      > > hole. ATVs use 10mm with larger holes.
      > > I changed to 175/70-R13 which was close enough that I didn't need to
      > > swap out the speedometer gear.
      > > On 7/30/2012 6:25 PM, m wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I need new tires for my dailer driver.
      > > > 1994 Solectria Hatchback with 155 /80 / R12 tires on 12" rims.
      > > > The new tires are more money for the 12" rims.
      > > > I can get four 13" rims and put 155/80/R13 tires on them .
      > > > I may save money and gain more availability on future tires it seems.
      > > > I was told the tire height will throw off my speedometer reading.
      > > > Has anyone else done this ? Is it recommended ?

    • Geo Homsy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2012
        Hi all-

        at the risk of stating the obvious, tire specification is of the format:

        <tread width in mm> / <height above rim as percent of tread width>
        <speed rating> <rim diameter in inches>

        In earlier days, sometimes the height was not specified. 80% was
        regarded as standard.

        So:
        155/80 R 12:
        155 mm tread width
        tire height above rim = 80% * 155mm = 124mm

        So:
        overall diameter = 12" + 2 * 124mm = 21.76"

        So, to move to a 13" rim and not f-- your speedometer readings or
        crash into your fenders, just move to a lower profile tire, like a 70
        or 75 series:

        155/70 R 13:
        13" + 2 * 0.7 * 155mm = 21.54"

        155/75 R 13:
        13" + 2 * 0.75 * 155mm = 22.15

        I'd take the 155/70's assuming you can find them.

        Yours,

        //Geo

        --
        "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the
        things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."