Strange Charger Behavior

  • Rex Allison
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
      Hi all,

      Over the last few weeks I've had three occasions when I plug in my charger I get a brief spinning of the charger fan then it just sits there without charging. The first time I thought it was the infamous fuse inside the charger that I had replaced 5 years ago, but it was still in tact.  I couldn't find anything noticeably wrong inside the charger, except for the smell of highly baked electronics, so I put it back together and the car charged up fine.

      The second time it didn't charge I just left it overnight plugged in and in the morning when it still hadn't charged I moved the car (I had to get it out of the way to take my dreaded ICE vehicle to work)  and plugged it in then it charged fine. The third time it happened I just crept the car forward and back a little and the charger worked fine. I haven't run the experiment yet but I'm starting to think the problem has to do with the "ignition" switch circuitry/interlocks and just turning the key with fix the stuck state of the charger. I'm not sure how this is possible or even if this is what is going on.

      Any thoughts or experiments to run?

      Stock 96 Force 25,000 miles on the Dekas.

      Thanks,
      Rex

    • d. Bouton Baldridge
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
        Rex what kind of charger? Given the massive heat wave going on for much of the country and the fact that you have some age on your pack, and Pbs are very temperature vulnerable some chargers will stop charging if over temp is evident, or will not start until its temperature is ok. My NG3 has a temp probe, don't know about the Solectria chargers as mine went out years ago. Just a thought.
        Bouty

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
          Bouty,

          It's the original BC3300. It hasn't been particularly hot here in the SF bay area, but we have had some fluctuations in the temperature lately so it's difficult to remember. I'll keep that in mind the next time the symptom shows up. I'll try to keeps some notes. Luckily this is just a minor annoyance at this point since I have a short commute, only charge at home, and I do have a backup car.

          Thanks,
          Rex

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
            Check the fuse in the line from the charger to the batteries. Perhaps
            it is intermittent.

            Ken
          • Rex Allison
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
              Ken,

              Where is the charger in line fuse located? I checked the AC side fuse and that is ok.

              Thanks,
              Rex

              ________________________________
              Check the fuse in the line from the charger to the batteries. Perhaps
              it is intermittent.

              Ken

            • N/A
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
                YOU COULD HAVE A FUSE ISSUE OR A TEMP SENSOR ISSUE OR EVEN A FLAKY CAP BD( INSIDE THE CHARGER). THE BC 3300 ARE KNOW FOR COLD SOLDER JOINTS AND CAPS THAT GO BAD OVER TIME .. I WOULD CHK ALL THESE THINGS...

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
                  The charger output goes to 2 wires which go to an Anderson connector.
                  One of the wires on the other side of the Anderson connector goes to
                  the rear battery box and one to the front battery box. As I recall
                  there is a fuseholder in the wire from the Anderson connector to the
                  rear battery box.

                  Ken
                • Rex Allison
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
                    Thanks Ken. At first I couldn't find the fuse in the diagram from the 1997 Solectria Force Service Manual, but now that you point it out I can see it amongst the spaghetti.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
                      Rex,
                      The charger-interconnect can keep the controller from moving the car but I don't think the controller can keep the charger from working. In any case the controller charger interconnect is located behind the paneling next to the charger. Wire color is in the service manual and it is a easy two wire type connector (I recall black white but please check). When open you are free to charge and drive at the same time to the far ends of the earth or the length your power cord whichever comes first.

                      Make sure you have a good connection at the most positive and most negative battery terminals. There is also a negative charger disconnect Anderson located up near the motor.

                      Are you getting good codes from the software?

                      Really sounds like a internal issue to me. Wolf did a great repairing mine.

                      Mike 97 Force
                      CALB 100's

                      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "N/A" <ev@...> wrote:

                      > YOU COULD HAVE A FUSE ISSUE OR A TEMP SENSOR ISSUE OR EVEN A FLAKY CAP BD( INSIDE THE CHARGER). THE BC 3300 ARE KNOW FOR COLD SOLDER JOINTS AND CAPS THAT GO BAD OVER TIME .. I WOULD CHK ALL THESE THINGS...

                    • Rex Allison
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
                        Hi Mike,
                        I have not looked at error codes, I'd need to wire up an interface. I just had the same symptom again today. The fan just spun momentarily, then stopped.
                        I tried a few experiments:

                        Charger plugged in turn ignition on then off - no response

                        Unplugged and replugged charger - no response
                        Unplugged charger then turn ignition on and off then replugged in charger - worked

                        Thanks,
                        Rex

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 5, 2012
                          Rex,
                          It is about 6 years or so ago but the first time my NLG went it would do some thing similar to what you are seeing with the fan, I had some lights and mine never charged intermittently. Had internal problems. I don't recall anyone in the forum having one that would come back to life as yours is doing. Certainly possible. Do you have a yellow light on the interface box in the trunk when it isn't working?

                          You would likely do your self a big favor by seeing what is on the monitor program. You only need a standard 9 pin serial cable for the charger. You don't have to make anything. A 25' cable is under $10 online. Mono will work with a usb serial adapter in windows. The nlg.exe software is fussy and will usually not work via a usb adapter. A vintage (90's) computer with a "real" serial port works best with nlg.exe. But you don't need nlg.exe to find the codes, it is only to view profile and change parameters.

                          You may as previously mentioned just have a bad temp sensor. Considering the NLG's history it is more than likely internal.

                          If it was mine and it is a internal issue I would send it to Wolf. It is really one of the best chargers out there when it is working up to spec. It made my conversion to lithium's almost easy.

                          Mike 97 Force
                          CALB 100's

                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Rex Allison <ev64bug@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Mike,
                          > I have not looked at error codes, I'd need to wire up an interface. I just had the same symptom again today. The fan just spun momentarily, then stopped.
                          > I tried a few experiments:
                          >
                          > Charger plugged in turn ignition on then off - no response
                          >
                          > Unplugged and replugged charger - no response
                          > Unplugged charger then turn ignition on and off then replugged in charger - worked
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Rex
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Etienne Gibeault
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 6, 2012
                            I had a similar problem where the charger would start and then stop suddenly with a yellow light and a code indicating rear temp sensor problem. It would do it intermittently. After opening the rear box several times only to find out that wiggling the temp sensor wire would cause the failure to go away, I tied a string to the end of the cable near the temp sensor and took it out of the side of the box through the round hole near the charger. When it fails in this way, I tug at the string a few times and voilà, charger starts up, every time (touch wood).

                            An old 486 PC and a serial cable will get you those codes.

                            Etienne

                            ________________________________
                            It is about 6 years or so ago but the first time my NLG went it would do some thing similar to what you are seeing with the fan, I had some lights and mine never charged intermittently. Had internal problems. I don't recall anyone in the forum having one that would come back to life as yours is doing. Certainly possible. Do you have a yellow light on the interface box in the trunk when it isn't working?

                            You would likely do your self a big favor by seeing what is on the monitor program. You only need a standard 9 pin serial cable for the charger. You don't have to make anything. A 25' cable is under $10 online. Mono will work with a usb serial adapter in windows. The nlg.exe software is fussy and will usually not work via a usb adapter. A vintage (90's) computer with a "real" serial port works best with nlg.exe. But you don't need nlg.exe to find the codes, it is only to view profile and change parameters.

                            You may as previously mentioned just have a bad temp sensor. Considering the NLG's history it is more than likely internal.

                            If it was mine and it is a internal issue I would send it to Wolf. It is really one of the best chargers out there when it is working up to spec. It made my conversion to lithium's almost easy.

                            Mike 97 Force
                            CALB 100's

                            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Rex Allison <ev64bug@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Mike,
                            > I have not looked at error codes, I'd need to wire up an interface. I just had the same symptom again today. The fan just spun momentarily, then stopped.
                            > I tried a few experiments:
                            >
                            > Charger plugged in turn ignition on then off - no response
                            >
                            > Unplugged and replugged charger - no response
                            > Unplugged charger then turn ignition on and off then replugged in charger - worked
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Rex

                          • Rex Allison
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 6, 2012
                              Thanks for all the ideas. I still have an early laptop that I used for a CNC machine so I think I'm set.