Volt/Amp Meter

  • otedawg
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2012
      Just wondering - how is the ammeter connected to the batteries? Is it a complete standalone system, or is it run through the controller or the charge-meter? Or am I wrong in thinking it is to be used for a state of charge indicator, and it is just an ammeter for power into the motor?

      My ammeter is sitting square on zero, when it should be somewhere around 80A - I don't have a current shunt big enough to test it myself, but if I knew where the shunt was supposed to be on my solectria, it would be helpful.

      Also, what are the two thin black wires in the front and back of the Force battery packs? I know both packs have a Battery + and - in them, and the rear pack has an additional red wire. Are these sense cables for the charger?

      Thanks for all the help,
      Josh
    • otedawg
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2012
        I guess I should've looked at the HV schematic in the files section. It looks like the current meter is on the negative battery cable, and is internal to the system. From that, it seems like I should be seeing a positive amperage number right now. I'll have to look into this...

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "otedawg" <joshua.orfield@...> wrote:

        > Just wondering - how is the ammeter connected to the batteries? Is it a complete standalone system, or is it run through the controller or the charge-meter? Or am I wrong in thinking it is to be used for a state of charge indicator, and it is just an ammeter for power into the motor?
        >
        > My ammeter is sitting square on zero, when it should be somewhere around 80A - I don't have a current shunt big enough to test it myself, but if I knew where the shunt was supposed to be on my solectria, it would be helpful.
        >
        > Also, what are the two thin black wires in the front and back of the Force battery packs? I know both packs have a Battery + and - in them, and the rear pack has an additional red wire. Are these sense cables for the charger?
        >
        > Thanks for all the help,
        > Josh

      • Charles Bliss
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2012
          I assume you are referring to the digital Amp Hour counter. It is a
          counter that is connected to a shunt and to the high voltage (pack). As
          you charge the car, it counts down and when you are driving it counts
          up. If you have the optional current meter, it is also connected to
          the shunt and the optional volt meter would be connected to the pack
          voltage.

          The Amp hour meter is not really a state of charge, but if you know how
          many amp hours you can run, then it is a very accurate indicator of how
          much energy you have used, and consequently how much farther you can go.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2012
            Solectria didn't make a lot of models but they certainly made enough variations that it will be helpful if you remind us what yr and model you have.

            The amp/volt meter was a option in the Force. I'm not sure what percentage of the cars came equipped with it. The wiring can be traced via the service manual. I believe all the cars have the wiring. Mine does and I don't have the gauges.

            I've never looked inside the high voltage dc circuit box but I believe the shunt is located in it. It likely shares the shunt for the AH meter. It measures total pack amperage/ah and not just motor amps.

            One of the Solectria Techs told me the amp/voltage gauge had some issues. That was in 2004. My car doesn't have that option installed. After talking to him I went with a meter that uses a hall sensor. Certainly not as nice as a shunt powered one but better than none.

            There is a fuse for the AH meter if you find it burnt you may have the bad trace in the AH control box. Some recent and past posts on that issue and some stuff in the files.

            Mike R
            97 Force

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "otedawg" <joshua.orfield@...> wrote:

            > Just wondering - how is the ammeter connected to the batteries? Is it a complete standalone system, or is it run through the controller or the charge-meter? Or am I wrong in thinking it is to be used for a state of charge indicator, and it is just an ammeter for power into the motor?
            >
            > My ammeter is sitting square on zero, when it should be somewhere around 80A - I don't have a current shunt big enough to test it myself, but if I knew where the shunt was supposed to be on my solectria, it would be helpful.
            >
            > Also, what are the two thin black wires in the front and back of the Force battery packs? I know both packs have a Battery + and - in them, and the rear pack has an additional red wire. Are these sense cables for the charger?
            >
            > Thanks for all the help,
            > Josh

          • otedawg
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
              Thanks for all the help.

              My digital meter works just fine, but I was talking about the analog needle meter. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with... as soon as I get my car working. Obviously movement comes before luxuries, although I'd love to know the state of charge for the batteries - all I've got right now (without building something) is the digital meter on the dash and the output of the UMOC, which is about 10% high.