Force market value for insurance claim

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
      My 1997 Solectria Force (48K miles, 156V Lead-Acid pack, Brusa NLG5) was involved in a car accident last Friday (someone blew through a stop sign and hit my front driver's side corner). No one was hurt.

      The repair estimate is around $2500 in body & suspension work, but a 1997 Geo Metro is only worth around $1500. So, I need to demonstrate to State Farm Insurance that my EV is worth more than $2500.

      Can anyone provide me with any sales transaction values for a Force within the past 12 months?

      Thanks!

      Todd Martin
      FVEAA
      Elgin, IL
    • Jay Grossman
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
        Besides sales data you might look at the cost of the ev components. I had an insurance claim, where a fallen tree crossed several high voltage lines in the area sending 220 volts down a 110 line. This fried my chargers dual BC1000's. I had a local EV converter replace the charger. I also filed an insurance claim with my carrier Erie. The same question arose concerning replacement value of a Metro. The owner of the conversion shop explained to the insurance adjuster about the value of the parts in an AC system and convinced him that it would cost in excess of $10,000 to replace the parts alone. They paid the claim which was about $1,500.
        Jay H Grossman

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
          this is a critical issue for us and one that has been in the back of my mind for some time. I live in a city and there are a lot of crazy and bad drivers. So please keep us posted on what you find out. I talked with a fellow owner of a 1997 and he sold two. If I remember correctly, one for $5,000 and one for $8,000.

          Doug Jackson
          adjackson3.org

          p.s.: If you reply to this email, please do a "reply all". That way if I have included other recipients, they will also get your reply.

          On Mar 1, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Todd wrote:

          > My 1997 Solectria Force (48K miles, 156V Lead-Acid pack, Brusa NLG5) was involved in a car accident last Friday (someone blew through a stop sign and hit my front driver's side corner). No one was hurt.
          >
          > The repair estimate is around $2500 in body & suspension work, but a 1997 Geo Metro is only worth around $1500. So, I need to demonstrate to State Farm Insurance that my EV is worth more than $2500.
          >
          > Can anyone provide me with any sales transaction values for a Force within the past 12 months?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Todd Martin
          > FVEAA
          > Elgin, IL

        • Ed Garcia
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
            It is probably too late for you to follow this advice, but I insisted my Force be registered with State Farm as a Solectria Force, not a Metro. This forced the agent to perform a manual value appraisal rather then relying on their online system. The result was a higher premium due to the higher valuation. That might be the key for you, find out what valuation your premium was based on.
            Ed Garcia

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
              When I was insuring mine, State Farm said I had to use Geo, but if there
              was ever a claim, they would evaluate market value at the time. I told
              them I paid 8K and was going to add another ~$3K in batteries and they
              said that would be covered in the assessment should there be a claim.
              Of course, until there is a claim, there is no way of knowing. My
              premium on that car is way high as it is the primary vehicle for my 18
              year old son.

              On 3/1/2012 10:06 AM, Ed Garcia wrote:

              > It is probably too late for you to follow this advice, but I insisted
              > my Force be registered with State Farm as a Solectria Force, not a
              > Metro. This forced the agent to perform a manual
              > value appraisal rather then relying on their online system. The result
              > was a higher premium due to the higher valuation. That might be the
              > key for you, find out what valuation your premium was based on.
              > Ed Garcia
              >
              > ________________________________
              > From: Jay Grossman <jgrossm3@... <mailto:jgrossm3%40yahoo.com>>

            • Steve Powers
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
                $5000, $5800, and $6000 all 99 Forces sold 2010-2011.

                Steve

                On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:

                > this is a critical issue for us and one that has been in the back of my
                > mind for some time. I live in a city and there are a lot of crazy and bad
                > drivers. So please keep us posted on what you find out. I talked with a
                > fellow owner of a 1997 and he sold two. If I remember correctly, one for
                > $5,000 and one for $8,000.
                >
                > Doug Jackson
                > adjackson3.org
                >
                > p.s.: If you reply to this email, please do a "reply all". That way if I
                > have included other recipients, they will also get your reply.
                >
                > On Mar 1, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Todd wrote:
                >
                > > My 1997 Solectria Force (48K miles, 156V Lead-Acid pack, Brusa NLG5) was
                > involved in a car accident last Friday (someone blew through a stop sign
                > and hit my front driver's side corner). No one was hurt.
                > >
                > > The repair estimate is around $2500 in body & suspension work, but a
                > 1997 Geo Metro is only worth around $1500. So, I need to demonstrate to
                > State Farm Insurance that my EV is worth more than $2500.
                > >
                > > Can anyone provide me with any sales transaction values for a Force
                > within the past 12 months?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > >
                > > Todd Martin
                > > FVEAA
                > > Elgin, IL

              • Tim Prior
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
                  I bought a 99 last spring with 4200 mi on it for 8000.

                  Tim

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
                    You also have the other insurance company to deal with if they are at fault and not a no fault state. Had this situation years ago and it was not a pleasant deal. You will likely have to fight against them trying to total the vehicle at geo market price based upon the vin#.

                    You may need legal representation. Small claims court is another option if the other driver can pay.

                    Mike R

                    --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <larsthelean@...> wrote:

                    > My 1997 Solectria Force (48K miles, 156V Lead-Acid pack, Brusa NLG5) was involved in a car accident last Friday (someone blew through a stop sign and hit my front driver's side corner). No one was hurt.
                    >
                    > The repair estimate is around $2500 in body & suspension work, but a 1997 Geo Metro is only worth around $1500. So, I need to demonstrate to State Farm Insurance that my EV is worth more than $2500.
                    >
                    > Can anyone provide me with any sales transaction values for a Force within the past 12 months?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Todd Martin
                    > FVEAA
                    > Elgin, IL

                  • Lawrence Winiarski
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012
                       What was the name of the "offensive" insurance company that tried to rip you off.
                      I'd like to avoid them with my business in the future.

                      If we don't halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity - and will leave a ravaged world.
                      Nobel Laureate Dr. Henry W. Kendall 023934

                      ________________________________
                      You also have the other insurance company to deal with if they are at fault and not a no fault state. Had this situation years ago and it was not a pleasant deal. You will likely have to fight against them trying to total the vehicle at geo market price based upon the vin#.

                      You may need legal representation. Small claims court is another option if the other driver can pay.

                      Mike R

                      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <larsthelean@...> wrote:

                      > My 1997 Solectria Force (48K miles, 156V Lead-Acid pack, Brusa NLG5) was involved in a car accident last Friday (someone blew through a stop sign and hit my front driver's side corner). No one was hurt.
                      >
                      > The repair estimate is around $2500 in body & suspension work, but a 1997 Geo Metro is only worth around $1500. So, I need to demonstrate to State Farm Insurance that my EV is worth more than $2500.
                      >
                      > Can anyone provide me with any sales transaction values for a Force within the past 12 months?
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > Todd Martin
                      > FVEAA
                      > Elgin, IL

                    • Ed Garcia
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
                        Although I do not know the specifics of Mike's case, I think calling the insurance company a "rip off" might be a bit harsh. In their eyes, we are trying to justify an $8000 valuation for a 97 Geo Metro. You have to expect some push-back from them. They need to be educated. This is why I always insist calling my Force a Solectria, not Geo or Chevy, for insurance and registration purposes. It is like valuating a Tesla as a Lotus.

                        Ed

                        ________________________________

                        You also have the other insurance company to deal with if they are at fault and not a no fault state. Had this situation years ago and it was not a pleasant deal. You will likely have to fight against them trying to total the vehicle at geo market price based upon the vin#.

                        You may need legal representation. Small claims court is another option if the other driver can pay.

                        Mike R

                        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <larsthelean@...> wrote:

                        > My 1997 Solectria Force (48K miles, 156V Lead-Acid pack, Brusa NLG5) was involved in a car accident last Friday (someone blew through a stop sign and hit my front driver's side corner). No one was hurt.
                        >
                        > The repair estimate is around $2500 in body & suspension work, but a 1997 Geo Metro is only worth around $1500. So, I need to demonstrate to State Farm Insurance that my EV is worth more than $2500.
                        >
                        > Can anyone provide me with any sales transaction values for a Force within the past 12 months?
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Todd Martin
                        > FVEAA
                        > Elgin, IL

                      • Charles Bliss
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2012
                          ... or like one of my friends who's Porsche 914 was declared 'totaled'
                          until he had the insurance company do a formal assessment which showed
                          it valued up due to it being Electric and a classic. Assessed at $47k,
                          the insurance company paid for full repair.

                          On 3/2/2012 12:50 PM, Ed Garcia wrote:

                          > Although I do not know the specifics of Mike's case, I think calling
                          > the insurance company a "rip off" might be a bit harsh. In their eyes,
                          > we are trying to justify an $8000 valuation for a 97 Geo Metro. You
                          > have to expect some push-back from them. They need to be educated.
                          > This is why I always insist calling my Force a Solectria, not Geo or
                          > Chevy, for insurance and registration purposes. It is like valuating a
                          > Tesla as a Lotus.
                          >
                          > Ed
                          > _,_._,___

                        • Robert
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3, 2012
                            I've also had some difficulty when insuring my 1995 S-10. At first Gieco would only insure my S-10 as a gasoline vehicle, then after two years, and during a renewal follow up attempted to cancelled me because it was a highly modified truck. Eventually we agreed on $8K in coverage although I had wanted $15K. During the first two years it was only covered for about $3K. It seems, only new electric vehicles can easily be covered for their market value. During this situation I researched probably 8 different insurance companies and non would accept my electric vehicle as a daily driver. This was a big disappointment, and as Gieco indicated...they would not have insured me if it were not for their earlier mistake of providing insurance to me for the previous two years.That was a year ago, perhaps now things are better. Thanks for listening.

                            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...> wrote:

                            > ... or like one of my friends who's Porsche 914 was declared 'totaled'
                            > until he had the insurance company do a formal assessment which showed
                            > it valued up due to it being Electric and a classic. Assessed at $47k,
                            > the insurance company paid for full repair.
                            >
                            > On 3/2/2012 12:50 PM, Ed Garcia wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Although I do not know the specifics of Mike's case, I think calling
                            > > the insurance company a "rip off" might be a bit harsh. In their eyes,
                            > > we are trying to justify an $8000 valuation for a 97 Geo Metro. You
                            > > have to expect some push-back from them. They need to be educated.
                            > > This is why I always insist calling my Force a Solectria, not Geo or
                            > > Chevy, for insurance and registration purposes. It is like valuating a
                            > > Tesla as a Lotus.
                            > >
                            > > Ed
                            > > _,_._,___

                          • Lawrence Winiarski
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 3, 2012
                              I've had a few bad experiences with insurance companies.   I was rear ended by a hit and run driver.   I
                              followed the guy and got his license.   The collision was absorbed by my bicycle on a bike rack and
                              the insurance company initially refused any compensation because a "bike rack and bicycle"
                              were not part of the car, and furthermore, since they were outside the car, they would not
                              be covered as personal belongings.   Seems to me that the bike and rack were what
                              prevented the car from being damaged, but they refused to see it that way.

                              Luckily I was able to cover it with my renters policy (same company (allstate) so their weasling
                              didn't work in the end and they did pay up just from a different division
                              in the company.

                              Seems weird that they will gladly pay millions of dollars for ridiculous false claims of
                              fake back problems, but nothing for a legitimate wreck.

                              I'm currently using State Farm.   I'd be curious who other people are using and if they've
                              had any problems.

                              ________________________________

                            • sbdeadelf@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 3, 2012
                                So far I've had an easy time with Safeco. They have it listed as a Solectria Force and said they'd value the car based on my purchase price. Maybe give them a try?
                                Dan

                                Sent from my iPhone

                              • mehlsfamily@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 4, 2012
                                  I've had Allstate insurance for my 97 Force since I got it 4 years ago.
                                  They did some extra research and valued the car at $17,000. I've been
                                  rear-ended twice since then and both times the damaged was paid off based on my
                                  insurance's valuation.
                                  Bill

                                • M
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 4, 2012
                                    Sorry to hear of your accident. While you should be able to show that your 1997 is worth more than $2,500 today, it may also be enough to show that when it was new, your Solectria Force cost more than a brand new Chevy Geo Metro. Let's say that the MSRP was three times for the Force. Three times $1,500 is $4,500. Hope this helps. M P in California

                                    --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...> wrote:

                                    > ... or like one of my friends who's Porsche 914 was declared 'totaled'
                                    > until he had the insurance company do a formal assessment which showed
                                    > it valued up due to it being Electric and a classic. Assessed at $47k,
                                    > the insurance company paid for full repair.
                                    >
                                    > On 3/2/2012 12:50 PM, Ed Garcia wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Although I do not know the specifics of Mike's case, I think calling
                                    > > the insurance company a "rip off" might be a bit harsh. In their eyes,
                                    > > we are trying to justify an $8000 valuation for a 97 Geo Metro. You
                                    > > have to expect some push-back from them. They need to be educated.
                                    > > This is why I always insist calling my Force a Solectria, not Geo or
                                    > > Chevy, for insurance and registration purposes. It is like valuating a
                                    > > Tesla as a Lotus.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ed
                                    > > _,_._,___

                                  • anbausa
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 7, 2012
                                      You are actually not far off, I haven't seen a Force sale this year but the ones I saw last averaged just a little below $5,000.

                                      Noel
                                      evfinder.com

                                      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "M" <schaferdds@...> wrote:

                                      > Sorry to hear of your accident. While you should be able to show that your 1997 is worth more than $2,500 today, it may also be enough to show that when it was new, your Solectria Force cost more than a brand new Chevy Geo Metro. Let's say that the MSRP was three times for the Force. Three times $1,500 is $4,500. Hope this helps. M P in California
                                      >
                                      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bliss <cbliss@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > ... or like one of my friends who's Porsche 914 was declared 'totaled'
                                      > > until he had the insurance company do a formal assessment which showed
                                      > > it valued up due to it being Electric and a classic. Assessed at $47k,
                                      > > the insurance company paid for full repair.
                                      > >
                                      > > On 3/2/2012 12:50 PM, Ed Garcia wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Although I do not know the specifics of Mike's case, I think calling
                                      > > > the insurance company a "rip off" might be a bit harsh. In their eyes,
                                      > > > we are trying to justify an $8000 valuation for a 97 Geo Metro. You
                                      > > > have to expect some push-back from them. They need to be educated.
                                      > > > This is why I always insist calling my Force a Solectria, not Geo or
                                      > > > Chevy, for insurance and registration purposes. It is like valuating a
                                      > > > Tesla as a Lotus.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Ed
                                      > > > _,_._,___

                                    • kevin gildea
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 7, 2012
                                        As gas prices increase, the value of ev's also. Right now a 97 solectria in
                                        good shape should realize 7k, or at least 6200.
                                        Kevin