Tire replacement/alignment

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2003
      Got the new set of Nokian NRT2 tires installed on the Force today, plus got
      a complete alignment. Turns out the car was WAY out of whack on alignment,
      with total toe of .84 on the front (specs from Solectria want zero, and the
      Geo specs want 0.16). Rear had .3 total toe, Geo specs call for .16. They
      dialed in zero toe on the front and 0.13 on the rear.

      I can't wait to see what the car does now for efficiency. I also plan to
      have the front bearings and brakes looked at next week, to be sure they're
      not causing any excess drag.

      The bad alignment on the front end was causing some bad wear on the right
      front tire; I feel a lot better with a properly-aligned set of new LRR tires
      on there.

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson
    • Will Beckett
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2003
        Tom,

        Where do you find the Force spec on this? Is it on the door panel sticker
        or in the book?

        -Will

        Will Beckett
        Beckett PC Solutions
        4189 Baker Ave.
        Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

        (650) 269-7011 cell
        (650) 494-6922 phone/fax
        will@...
        <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/> http://beckettpcsolutions.com

        "Let me make it easy for you!"

        a Business Network Int'l member
        <http://www.bni-sfbay.com/Chapters/paloaltochapter.htm>
        http://www.bni-sfbay.com/Chapters/paloaltochapter.htm

        a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
        <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

        Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
        <http://www.wbopera.org/>

        Got the new set of Nokian NRT2 tires installed on the Force today, plus got
        a complete alignment. Turns out the car was WAY out of whack on alignment,
        with total toe of .84 on the front (specs from Solectria want zero, and the
        Geo specs want 0.16). Rear had .3 total toe, Geo specs call for .16. They
        dialed in zero toe on the front and 0.13 on the rear.

        I can't wait to see what the car does now for efficiency. I also plan to
        have the front bearings and brakes looked at next week, to be sure they're
        not causing any excess drag.

        The bad alignment on the front end was causing some bad wear on the right
        front tire; I feel a lot better with a properly-aligned set of new LRR tires
        on there.

        -Tom

        Thomas Hudson

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=253836.3292410.4586249.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
        69:HM/A=1300118/R=1/*http://local.yahoo.com/>

        Enter:

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=253836.3292410.4586249.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
        69:HM/A=1300118/R=2/*http://local.yahoo.com/>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=253836.3292410.4586249.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1300118/rand=140385140>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Tom Hudson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2003
          > Where do you find the Force spec on this? Is it on the door panel sticker
          > or in the book?

          I got the suggested toe-ins from John Rogers of Solectria. We were talking
          about driving efficiency and I told him I was experiencing less efficiency
          than I used to have -- He said I should check the alignment and set the
          front toe-in at zero. He pointed out that the energy loss at the tire-road
          interface could be extreme without you really knowing it, because the tires
          dissipate the heat into the road surface pretty quickly.

          I got the Geo Metro specs from the tire shop that did my alignment.

          I was really amazed at how bad the right-front toe-in was. It was WAY off,
          and it showed with the tread wear.

          -Tom

          Thomas Hudson