1999 Solectria Force making noise

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2012
      I was driving home from work and the car started to make a clunking noise. It sounded like one of the tires was going flat. I stopped and checked the tires. They were okay. The noise gets worse when accelerating or decelerating. I suspect that it is the CV joints. Does anyone have a detailed description on how to pull the half shafts, so that I can get the CV joints fixed. I searched through the archives, but could not find a disassembly procedure.
      Regards,
      Larry
      '99 Force- Sollie
      50 - 100 AH Thundersky Lithium Batteries
      Masterflux Sierra AC
    • kevin lubot
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2012
        Usually tire going flat noise is a wheel bearing not a cv joint. The cv joint noise is usually when you pull out from a stop with the wheel turned you get a clicking noise.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRpnK5MGQ8%c2%a0 -- bad wheel bearings thump thump thump

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4i3Oe9ehPY&feature=related%c2%a0bad cv joint click click click

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2012
          Thanks for the reply Kevin.
          A wheel bearing going bad usually produces a grinding noise. This is a repeating clunk noise that corresponds to the wheels rotating. That is why I thought I had a flat tire. It usually goes away if I am coasting (Regen off). When I accelerate it starts to clunk. If I am just maintaining speed, it does not clunk. When I take my foot off of the accelerator with regen on, it starts to clunk. Turn off the regen and the clunking stops. The clunking does not seem to get any worse if I am turning left or right. Accelerating or decelerating with regen on, puts a load on the CV joints. That is why I think it is the CV joints. It certainly could also be motor, controller, etc. related. I am not a mechanic and am not sure what I should do. This car is my daily driver and has serviced me well.

          Has anyone experienced this phenomenon? I find it hard to believe that I am the only person in the "Solectria Universe" that has had this problem.
          Regards,
          Larry

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2012
            Larry,
            In most CV failures there are plenty of tiny early warning signs and the problem is usually not as immediately repeatable as your clunking sounds when it starts. Nor will it start in such a pronounced fashion that you would think you just had a flat.

            But with that said:
            from service manual:
            a clunk when accelerating from coast to drive could be a worn or damaged differential-side or wheel side joint.
            Clicking noise in turns, a worn or damaged wheel side joint

            Both inner and outer joints can also cause shudder or vibration during acceleration and/or vibration at highway speeds.

            Opinion follows:

            Generally the clunk from a bad CV is a at first likely to be a "clunk" and not a clunk clunk clunk......

            The right side half shaft (passenger side) on a stock Geo has a carrier bearing at a little less than mid way. Makes the outer ends as close as possible to equal lengths. Solectria cut this out and put in the welded tube in its place. This modification means you need to keep a tight grasp on your bank account if you turn the work over to a shop. Rebuilt stock half shafts start about $70. But you won't find a match for that modified right side.

            There is nothing exotic about the half shafts other than the "missing" bearing on the right side. If you get it on a lift someone familiar with repairing cv joints should be able to tell you if it is a CV. Second opinions might be needed if they think you should fund their entire IRA.

            Bad clunking sounds from the differential/gear box are also definite possibilities here. It would be subject to the same on and off load torque. Other possibilities might be found.

            A good inspection is the next step. Can't do that via the forum.

            Let us know what you find. Hate to have a good Force down.

            Mike R
            97 Force