Air Conditioner Condenser

  • POONKEONG
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2012
      Wife hit another car from behind. The AC condenser is cracked. The body shop fixed everything, but, could not find a suitable condenser replacement.

      Anyone know the make and part number of the AC condenser used on a 1996 Force?

      Thanks.
    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2012
        It should be the condenser from a 1996 Geo Metro but you might need to
        have one of more fitting cut from the damaged one and welded onto the
        replacement.

        On 2/11/2012 2:27 PM, POONKEONG wrote:

        > Wife hit another car from behind. The AC condenser is cracked. The
        > body shop fixed everything, but, could not find a suitable condenser
        > replacement.
        >
        > Anyone know the make and part number of the AC condenser used on a
        > 1996 Force?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • POONKEONG
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2012
          They actually got a condenser from a 1996 Metro and it didn't fit. It was too small.

          They tried their best to locate another similar one, but it was too large.

          I just checked it out and it looks like an after-market part probably from an AC retrofit kit?

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2012
            IMO They need to check again. A 96 GEO condenser will fit in a 96 GEO/Force.

            Mike R
            97 Force

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...> wrote:

            > It should be the condenser from a 1996 Geo Metro but you might need to
            > have one of more fitting cut from the damaged one and welded onto the
            > replacement.
            >
            > On 2/11/2012 2:27 PM, POONKEONG wrote:
            > >
            > > Wife hit another car from behind. The AC condenser is cracked. The
            > > body shop fixed everything, but, could not find a suitable condenser
            > > replacement.
            > >
            > > Anyone know the make and part number of the AC condenser used on a
            > > 1996 Force?
            > >
            > > Thanks.

          • POONKEONG
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2012
              I did some googling. The best picture I found of the condenser on a Geo Metro is this.

              http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KgoxyrI7aSE/RqHD1I6PIRI/AAAAAAAAAB0/iAcRZHgfMJY/s1600-h/Condenser+and+fan+installed.JPG

              It is much smaller and looks nothing like the one on my Force. Also, all auto part stores show pictures of the Geo Metro condenser that look very different than that on my Force.

              A used Solectria Force AC system is listed on ebay now. The condenser is the same as mine. Notice the inlet and outlet are on the same side.

              http://www.ebay.com/itm/260785179047

              At this point, I have to conclude that the condenser on the Force is not from the stock Geo Metro.

              Next step is to check out a real Geo Metro in person.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2012
                You are right that 96 metro used vehicle is smaller than mine also. Mine is a 97 and it looks to match the 97 factory service manual except for the re-piping needed as a result of the compressor no longer being on the engine.

                Did you talk to anyone at Azure. I've never had anything but helpful answers from them.

                Guess there weren't any parts sticker on the unit?

                That ebay price is up there.

                Mike

                Also Geo parts can vary according to vin, as there were different factories.