[force_ev] New EV problem

  • Leonard Tramiel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2003
      When I got my Force I realized that there were certain constrints and
      problems that would exist that don't affect the drives of more conventional
      vehicles. Well, I thought about this one:

      I parked my Force in the special charging spot in the city garage and
      plugged in. When I got back from dinner I found that someone had parked in
      the cross-hatched area in front of the outlets and trapped my power cord
      under their left front tire. I was stuck. I considered leaving a note
      saying:

      Dear Sir,

      Please leave my power cord with the Police. They are expecting your visit.

      Thank you, EV driver

      What I did instead was call the police. They came, wrote a ticket and called
      to get the car towed. After more than an hour a tow truck driver arrived
      with a truck that didn;t fit in the underground garage. He then jacked up
      the offending car to release my cord. I left at that point so I don't know
      if the car was ever towed.

      -Leonard
    • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2003
        > ... trapped my power cord under their left front tire.

        Automatic transmissions usually have a fair bit of play in their drivelines. If
        the parking brake isn't set, sometimes if you're lucky you can push the
        vehicle just far enough to partly free the cord. Then a good yank will free it.
        This works better if you have a second person to help. It also works better
        for small cars than for huge trucks with honkin' big tires.

        Trivia: In South Korea, parking space is often at a premium. If there are no
        spaces open in a parking lot, a driver will sometimes park behind a couple of
        other cars, blocking them in. But he leaves the car in neutral, with the
        handbrake very lightly set if at all, and with the front wheels aimed straight
        ahead. If one of the other drivers comes back to leave and finds his car
        blocked, all he has to do is gently push the offending car a space or two over.
        (This is only done on level lots, of course!)

        David Roden
        Akron OH USA
      • Leonard Tramiel
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2003
          The car trapping my cord had a manual transmission and 4-wheel drive. It was
          left in gear with the parking brake off.

          -Leonard