Re: new charger suggestions?

  • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2003
      > I'm not sure if the
      > control should be A, B, or C.

      You want type A. Type C has a CAN bus interface. This is used by a few
      OEMs but is not used in the Force. Type B is a booster, to be used for
      extra output power (faster charging) when added to a type A or C.

      Actually, as I understand it, any NLG5 can be programmed as any of these
      under software control -- the type designation just specifies how it's set
      up by default from the factory.

      > While I'm considering an altogether new charger, are their other brands of
      > charger besides Brusa that you would recommend for this car?

      Brusa is the BMW of EV chargers. IMO, if you can afford an NLG5, there's no
      reason to even consider anything else.

      Some people may recommend a "PFC" charger from Manzanita Micro. These
      chargers are powerful and inexpensive, but IMO they have some significant
      disadvantages:

      1. They don't provide electrical isolation between the input power mains
      and the battery. In my opinion, this is an issue of significant concern for
      safety. Some people dismiss my concern, but I feel pretty strongly about
      this: EV chargers should provide isolation to reduce the risk of electrical
      shock.

      2. They haven't yet had the same level of electrical safety testing that
      most manufactured products have. Hard to say whether they ever will,
      because ...

      3. They are really intended for EV hobbyists. I don't know of any OEMs
      using them. They haven't been in production very long, and there's some
      uncertainty that all the bugs have been worked out. (To their credit, the
      maker has been good about taking the units back and fixing them when
      problems occur.)

      4. The component quality, while apparently respectable, is probably not
      equal to the Brusa's (which is pretty close to military spec). Note that I
      base this judgement on comments posted by the builders on the EV list, not
      on actually having owned one, so I might be wrong about this.

      5. Their charge control is strictly analog. They have nothing like the
      sophisticated microprocessor control of the Brusa chargers, though such a
      controller is supposed to be developed for them eventually.

      If you have to keep costs down, you might try a Zivan charger. The NG3 can
      be had for under $1000. Be warned though that Zivan have a reputation for
      lower reliability.

      David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
      1991 Solectria Force 144vac
      1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
      1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
      1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
      Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

      thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

      Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

      Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
      -- Harper's Index, April 2002