New Pb batts and regen

  • thp024
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2012
      After installing the new lead batteries, and having plenty of unusually sunny and dry weather up here has to run it, has seen the 98 Force much happier about its power needs. Here's my question: The regen whines like a baby if I use enough to stop the car at any state of charge below something like 20Ahr consumed. Is there a reason that the new batteries won't accept the whole imput from regen? How much is that imput maximum (if anyone knows)? And: is there a simple setting I can change to get it to have functional regen below that level?

      Thanks in advance,

      Tim
    • Ken Olum
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2012
        The last time we replaced our batteries, there was regen whining up to
        around 10Ah, but it never complained at 20Ah. As the batteries age,
        the problem seems to be less severe.

        I think you can probably program your controller to change the maximum
        regen current. I monitored mine once and it seemed to be 65A. You
        probably can't get it to give high limiting current when your
        batteries are deeply discharged and a lower limit when the batteries
        are more charged. Of course you can turn off regen when it is causing
        trouble, or drive with one foot on the "gas pedal" and the other on
        the brake.

        I suppose would not be hard to put in some control over the maximum
        amount of regen called for by the pot box.

        Ken
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2012
          Tim,
          Regen noise is a function of voltage and it happens at about 187V. That may vary but is what I read with the instrumentation on my car. You can get the pack to 187V with a very low current over a long time or a lot of current over a short time.

          Heavy regen and a high SOC results in the later. Long slow regen the former. So the higher the pack voltage (as in new batteries) going into regen the easier to get to 187.

          Resistance in the pack will vary with temperature and SOC so your getting the voltage to 187 via regen will also vary. My Deka gels were much more tolerant of high current regen than my Greensaver pack.

          My car can put out very close to 80 amps in full on hard regen at low speeds, I think most are set a bit less than that. Have a couple of steep grades that can hold it there for a fair amount of time with a sufficiently low SOC but it will eventually come to a stop.

          I have gotten very good at modulating the amount of regen in that portion of the throttle but for the most part find it easier to have it off and hypermile coast until I don't have to worry about over voltage spiking the pack and making that annoying noise. Way worse than the GEICO piggy going WEEEEEE.

          You might try the heater/ac and lights ON at high SOC if you want to hold the voltage down and need to use a little regen. But they don't use much compared to the regen output.

          Taking the car off float about 30 minutes before using it also helps mine.

          Mike R
          97 Force